AI is polluting the Internet, so one writer bought a physical encyclopedia set instead

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The information superhighway sounds like the ideal place to learn about virtually anything and for the last few decades, that's been an accurate assessment. In recent years, however, the waters have become muddled with disinformation, ignorance, and sheer incompetence. What's a fact-seeker to do in the age of the Internet? Take a step back, apparently.

Ars Technica reporter Benj Edwards recently learned that World Book still prints yearly editions of its general reference encyclopedia. Intrigued, Edwards bought a set on Amazon and regrets nothing.

The pros and cons of owning a set of encyclopedias in 2023 are aplenty. With physical encyclopedias, data is essentially set in stone meaning it can't be stealthily edited after publication and is not susceptible to digital perils like link rot, hacking, or tampering by artificial intelligence.

This permanence also works against it, as books can't be updated with the latest research, findings, and events. For that, you will need to pick up next year's edition. They are also susceptible to human error, like printing issues. A binding error in the first 60 pages of the "G" volume that Edwards owns contains pages from the "U" volume. World Book is aware of the issue and has offered to replace the faulty volume free of charge.

Digital data is infinitely more accessible, portable, and flexible in nearly every way, so long as you have a connection to the Internet and a device that can access it. The World Book Encyclopedia 2023 set is bulky, heavy, and can only be accessed on the spot.

Physical encyclopedias will no doubt also evoke nostalgia for users of a certain age. Surely I'm not the only one that remembers waiting until the last minute to hit the books to grind out that report due the next day.

Related reading: What Ever Happened to Microsoft Encarta?

Tom Evans, senior director of content and product development at World Book, told Ars that its physical encyclopedia sets still exist because there is still demand for them. The executive said sales of the printed editions are in the thousands annually, and that school and public libraries are their primary customers. Homeschooling families could also make good use of printed encyclopedias, as could folks that do not have access to the Internet or prefer to live a simpler life.

"World Book has a loyal following of librarians who understand the importance of a general reference encyclopedia in print form, accessible to all," Evans said.

World Book 2023 consists of over 14,000 pages of information spread across 22 volumes, with 17,000 articles and more than 25,000 pictures, diagrams, illustrations, and maps.

As for pricing, well... it is not cheap at $1,199 over on Amazon. For that price, you could buy a nice computer and have money left over to pay for Internet service for a while. Then again, a paper set doesn't command an ongoing access fee or ask for a donation, won't harvest your browsing habits, can't get a virus or malware, and won't try to sell you something every five seconds.

Image credit: Encyclopedias by Pixabay

Permalink to story.

I remember the days of having an encyclopedia set in my house for doing projects. Need to write a paper on something and can't get to the library or have time at school to use their facility? At home encyclopedia set to the rescue!

Get a new letter every month!

While having a curated source of information is very important, I consider keeping a ton of books for at most one infrequent read a bit extreme if not outright wasteful and selfish. Since we are at the dawn of AI it is normal for it to show some clumsiness. It was released as a preview/beta/demo in order to test its capabilities in real life scenarios and make improvements. Spam did not break email, spam bots did not break the comments/forums, viruses did not put an end to windows, pirating did not destroy game development or the entertainment industry. I believe that AI will not irremediably break anything, but will probably transform a lot of the things we do. There will always be nostalgia, but the world will keep spinning.

Books aren't computers, they are storage of information, so comparison is invalid. He could have bought a CD with all those volumes.
If we are bringing storage mediums into the conversation I think it would still be apt to include how you'd access that information. A printed encyclopedia, as much of a novelty it is, would only need at least an eye (preferably both) and a hand (again, preferably both) to hold the book open to read what's in it. A CD on the other hand requires a disc drive and some sort of computer electronics to interface with said disc drive, and the electricity to operate all of that, in addition to the one eye/one hand requirement. Considering disc drives on consumer PCs are on their way to becoming extinct, now you're looking to add another peripheral to the mix...

Going up the supply chain, it would seem to me that an encyclopedia would be far less resource intensive to produce and consume... but of course it is obviously incredibly clunky given society's penchant for instance access, so its resource use aside from the paper and ink it is printed on/with is ones own time (insert time is money comment).

If your only concern is the use of wood to make paper, then you could argue just about every periodical could or should go fully digital. Until that happens I don't see the harm of such a low production volume, niche product existing in physical form, and there's something about being able to hold something in your hands that still appeals to people.

It's not an "offline copy" but there's always the annual subscription version of the World Book if one would be so inclined: https://www.worldbook.com/World-Book-Online

Last edited:
While having a curated source of information is very important, I consider keeping a ton of books for at most one infrequent read a bit extreme if not outright wasteful and selfish. Since we are at the dawn of AI it is normal for it to show some clumsiness. It was released as a preview/beta/demo in order to test its capabilities in real life scenarios and make improvements. Spam did not break email, spam bots did not break the comments/forums, viruses did not put an end to windows, pirating did not destroy game development or the entertainment industry. I believe that AI will not irremediably break anything, but will probably transform a lot of the things we do. There will always be nostalgia, but the world will keep spinning.
When I was a kid my mom bought an encyclopedia set from a woman who was moving, lady was super well off(aka rich)and sold them for like 25 bucks said she bought them for her son who was on his way to college and she wanted to pass them on to help someone else.

my mom and me lived in a mobile home way out in the country and where internet was a trickle, but in an area where alot of new money was coming in so I ended up in a school where some kids just had a legit edge becuase they had home pc's and other stuff(this was away before schools handed out chromebooks)you wont believe how many times those old books saved me in school for reports and whatnot, when I needed some random info, even if they didnt have the specific subject they had something so close that I was ready to find my actual target at the school library or a friends computer.

even with all the info a phone can funnel to you a focused book can still beat it sometimes because theres no fluff, theyre outdated now but I still have that collection, they really helped me.

I think the point here is AI sucks, the internet is a mass of information and data, but also 90% of data centers could be deleted and turned off, as they contain mis information, or cat videos.

And Vitality is way off, trees which can be regrown and paper that can be recycled vs, tech crap that mostly can't be. CD's too, plastic, for shame. Why would it not be a USB drive?

I'd say AI, itself, is pollution of the internet. I agree that keeping a copy of something that you could easily get in a public library is wasteful.

I can understand physical print copies for art books and fiction, but I facepalmed when I saw this on Ars. Textbooks, encyclopaedias and so forth aren’t primary knowledge sources; they’re editorialised living documents that work best with digital publishing. We used to have a stack of science and medical textbooks from university days and they were all useless after about 5 years - they couldn’t be given away. And the solution to misinformation isn’t buying hard copies, it’s learning critical thinking skills and media literacy.

Postscript: interesting how someone mentioned low income access, the hard copies cater for this market through libraries and not direct sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bit of a thing about the smell of paper and the physical experience of handling books. Just look at how gorgeous they are. Are they a sensible purchase? Nope, absolutely not. But they have an enduring charm that I find hard to resist.

My parents had (maybe still have) an old set of encyclopedias, Funk & Wagnells, from sometime in the early 1970s. The other interesting thing having some encyclopedias (the upside of not having them update with newer information), it really was interesting (in 1990s) to look up some topic in there to see what the view on it was in the early 1970s. Some of those countries were quite different in 1972 than in, say, 1995, it was amusing to look up some of the space and technology topics and see what the state of the art was at the time too.

Back