Alcatel USB ADSL causing B-of-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoxtx

I've got one of those funky green Alcatel USB ADSL modems, and I'm having blue screens of death. I know the modems causing them because 1.)It happens whenever i have wierd traffic, like a P2P sharing app and an ftp client while online gaming 2.) The Blue screen of death says the problem is in the Alcatel driver file.
the specific message i get is
DRIVER IRQ LESSTHAN EQUALTO
I had a look at my system and it turns out that the USB root hub that the modem is connected to is sharing the same IRQ as my sound card, video card, all other USB devices, and my IDE controller. I was shocked when I saw this, unfortunatly i cant work out how to change the IRQs in Windows XP, and i aint completely comfortable with setting the IRQs from the bios, as I get the destinct feeling Windows wont like that.

Anyway here are my sys stats, any ideas, no matter how trivial will b appreciated.

AMD Athlon 1.2GHz 266fsb
2x256mb PC2100 ram
MSI K7t266 Pro mobo w/ latest VIA 4in1 dirvers (prob on the IDE controller, for some reason my sys can never find the drivers for it, so it sits there with a red thing next to it in the hardware manager, but works perfectly well)
ATI Radeon 8500 w/ latest official drivers
Herc GTXP sound card w/ latest drivers
D-Link 10/100 Nic
40GB IBM 5500RPM Deskstar
80GB Seagate 7200RPM Baracuda
16xPioneer DVD rom
16/10/40a Plextor CD-RW
TI Fire Wire controller
Alcatel USB ADSL Modem w/ v1.4 drivers

again, any help will b appreciated

Okay, before you try anything rash, save your current hardware profile and set a system restore point... Just in case.

Well, you can't really change IRQs in Windows XP because most systems that run XP have ACPI enabled. I think if you turn this off in your BIOS and enable APM, you would be able to change IRQs manually in Device Manager. You might want to also toggle PnP play OS off. But change one setting at a time so you know what's wrong in case something doesn't work properly later on.

You can also try the manual method of moving around PCI cards to different slots.

I don't think Windows XP will mind if you reserve IRQs in the BIOS. I believe this is done in such a manner that Windows XP won't even know the difference.

I also believe I have the same board as you... An MSI K7T266 Pro2. I really like it and I've never had any IRQ problems with it, but it might be worthwhile to get a BIOS flash and see if that clears up things. It could be an incompatibility with your modem and other hardware specifically which a BIOS flash may address.

Also, I've had zero problems with the VIA chipset since the 4.37's came out. Maybe you want to try this version instead of the newest ones. (Last restort perhaps).

I think it is possible to change a devices IRQ by going in to Device Manager and then selecting properties. You have to get the USB Root Hub onto a different IRQ, so it isn't sharing with as many devices, and this may even fix your IDE problem.

I think you have to select manual configuration, this used to work in Win98SE but I haven't needed to try this in XP yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back