Alder Lake boosts Intel's CPU market share, but AMD remains dominant

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Alder Lake only launched on November 4, but Intel’s 12th-gen processors are already proving very popular with consumers, helping increase Chipzilla’s market share. However, team blue remains in the shadow of dominant AMD, whose chips made up 70% of all CPU sales in Germany during November.

The data comes from Germany’s largest retailer, Mindfactory, and was posted by Redditor ingebor. We see that Intel has finally reached a 30% share of a sales market that AMD has controlled since the launch of the Ryzen 3000 series. Coincidentally, the figures are the other way around in the Steam survey: AMD’s processors are found in 30% of participants’ PCs, a figure it only recently passed.

click to enlarge

Alder Lake was Intel’s most successful generation last month, making up 37% of the company’s sales. It was followed by Rocket Lake (34%) and Comet Lake (28%).

But the overall market was a red one. Vermeer (Ryzen 5000 series) CPUs were the most popular chips by far, with a 48% share of all sales. AMD's other top-selling generations were Cezanne (11%) and Matisse (10%).

Looking at individual chips, the Ryzen 7 5800X was top of the list with 4,820 units. The Ryzen 5 5600X was second (3,570), followed by the Ryzen 9 5900X (1,620). Intel’s best-selling chip was the Core i7-12700K in seventh spot with 880 sales.

Both companies sold more CPUs in November than October—a particularly dismal month. The leap was likely helped by Black Friday and Cyber Monday. But what’s interesting is looking at sales during the same period a year earlier. Over 40,000 processors were sold in November 2020, whereas last month saw just over 20,000 sales. The YoY decline is doubtlessly due to the Ryzen 5000 launch in October 2020 and people upgrading their PCs in the futile hope of grabbing new graphics cards.

We can expect Alder Lake to keep chipping away at AMD’s share of the sales market, but things could quickly change when the Ryzen 6000 series launches next year.

Permalink to story.

It‘s worth adding that ADL sales went downhill from there on, to be surpassed by Comet and Rocket Lake models. Same if you look at other retailers‘ top seller lists.

That still gives Intel a 31.71% unit share and 26.43% revenue share.

I keep saying for weeks now that ADL sales are not great and that I see them in stock at better prices than Zen3 and not moving that stock at the stores that I'm watching...

It's certainly is not the smashing success the reviews sites and YT channels make it to be.

I think people are waiting before switching to a completely new platform. The mobos are not cheap and DDR5 is expensive and not worth it (and few want to buy into the bleeding edge and not actually invest in DDR5). I wonder if DDR5 will make better sense with Zen4.

Like I have always said, Steam Survey does NOT tell anything about sales. Another proof here.
Steam does include already sold systems and as we saw previously, internet cafe systems are probably overrepresented by a good bit.

That said, there are still OEM sales and there numbers look quite. different.

I would say this data does reflect in the steam survey, we have seen a big increase in Ryzen CPUs over the last few years. This is because Ryzen is a good product that’s popular and sells well. Radeon on the hand is a festering heap of garbage that nobody wants and that’s why it’s market share for it amongst steam users is tiny and declining.

Of course but some trolls say Steam stats = sales. Someone has to fix their writings.
Some trolls refute anything steam shows as being "worthless" while never providing data of their own.
I would say this data does reflect in the steam survey, we have seen a big increase in Ryzen CPUs over the last few years. This is because Ryzen is a good product that’s popular and sells well. Radeon on the hand is a festering heap of garbage that nobody wants and that’s why it’s market share for it amongst steam users is tiny and declining.
Radeon isnt a festering heap of garbage, its just totally unavailable. The 5700xt sold well, even though it was late to the game. Same with the 5600xt. Mindfactory has stated before the number of RX 6000 GPUs they've recieved has been platry compared to RTX 3000 or RX 5000 series chips.

This is what I mean. Trying to "prove" Steam data accurate with personal opinions.
Some trolls refute anything steam shows as being "worthless" while never providing data of their own.
Steam survey is worthless because it contains to many errors or anomalies.

I have proven this many times and so far no-one has proven me wrong.
Radeon isnt a festering heap of garbage, its just totally unavailable. The 5700xt sold well, even though it was late to the game. Same with the 5600xt. Mindfactory has stated before the number of RX 6000 GPUs they've recieved has been platry compared to RTX 3000 or RX 5000 series chips.
Like this? https://www.hardwaretimes.com/lates...vidia-indeed-halted-rtx-30-series-production/

Radeon Top 4 Selling Brand Line!

1. RX 6600 = 745 units
  2. RX 6800XT = 180 units.
  3. RX 6900XT = 35 Units.
  4. RX 6800 = 10 Units

Nvidia Top 4 Selling Brand Lines!

1. RTX 3070 8GB = 400 Units.
  2. RTX 3080 TI 12GB = 95 Units.
  3. GTX 1050 TI = 60 Units
  4. RTX 3070 TI 8GB = 30 Units

Or earlier:
Radeon Top 5 Selling Brand Line!

1. RX 6600XT = 1760 units
  2. RX 6700XT = 320 Units.
  3. RX 6800XT = 75 Units.
  4. RX 6800 = 65 Units
  5. RX 580 = 40 Units.
Nvidia Top 5 Selling Brand Lines!

1. RTX 3060 TI 8GB = 790 Units.
  2. RTX 3080 10GB = 320 Units.
  3. RTX 3080 TI 12GB = 240 Units
  4. RTX 3060 12GB = 200 Units
  5. RTX 3090 24GB = 150 Units

Radeon isnt a festering heap of garbage, its just totally unavailable. Mindfactory has stated before the number of RX 6000 GPUs they've recieved has been platry compared to RTX 3000 or RX 5000 series chips.
Now let's see situation today:

There are 29 different Radeon RX models available

For Nvidia, only 10

Facts rule, again.

This is what I mean. Trying to "prove" Steam data accurate with personal opinions.
Oh, like you do?
Steam survey is worthless because it contains to many errors or anomalies.
Says the man who uses sales from a single germain retailer as evidence for the global PC market. LMFAO.
I have proven this many times and so far no-one has proven me wrong.

Like this? https://www.hardwaretimes.com/lates...vidia-indeed-halted-rtx-30-series-production/

Radeon Top 4 Selling Brand Line!

1. RX 6600 = 745 units
  2. RX 6800XT = 180 units.
  3. RX 6900XT = 35 Units.
  4. RX 6800 = 10 Units

Nvidia Top 4 Selling Brand Lines!

1. RTX 3070 8GB = 400 Units.
  2. RTX 3080 TI 12GB = 95 Units.
  3. GTX 1050 TI = 60 Units
  4. RTX 3070 TI 8GB = 30 Units

Or earlier:
Radeon Top 5 Selling Brand Line!

1. RX 6600XT = 1760 units
  2. RX 6700XT = 320 Units.
  3. RX 6800XT = 75 Units.
  4. RX 6800 = 65 Units
  5. RX 580 = 40 Units.
Nvidia Top 5 Selling Brand Lines!

1. RTX 3060 TI 8GB = 790 Units.
  2. RTX 3080 10GB = 320 Units.
  3. RTX 3080 TI 12GB = 240 Units
  4. RTX 3060 12GB = 200 Units
  5. RTX 3090 24GB = 150 Units
Hey look, I can cherry pick data too:
Oh man, if only nvidia hadnt just grabbed more market share from AMD:

Almost like a handful of reports from a single retailer dont indicate the total market. Isnt that the argument you always use? A single german retailer doesnt not indicate the entire PC market, you hypocrite.

Oh, like you do?
No, I prove that's inaccurate. Not that it's accurate.
Says the man who uses sales from a single germain retailer as evidence for the global PC market. LMFAO.
I didn't say that. However those sales statistics are real sales data, no matter if only one retailer, they are better Sales data than whole Steam survey.
That's like from January 2020, much before Ampere and RX-series era 🤦‍♂️

Nvidia gained 0.06% more market share Q2/2021 vs Q2/2021 https://wccftech.com/nvidia-intel-gpu-market-share-increased-while-amd-declined-in-q2-2021/

That's "huge".
Almost like a handful of reports from a single retailer dont indicate the total market. Isnt that the argument you always use? A single german retailer doesnt not indicate the entire PC market, you hypocrite.
Where I said that? Again, you're moving goalposts trying desperately "prove" me wrong after I already proved you wrong.

Oh, like you do?

I swear it’s been years and he still doesn’t give up. Hard Reset simply does not understand statistics or surveys. This data actually compliments the steam survey as Ryzens share is up in the steam survey!

But we know he’s just upset because Radeon is having a very bad time at the moment and he’s just a really big AMD fan. Consumers are just not interested in buying Radeon. I was on Radeon for 8 years until last year and I’m never going back, I had too many bad experiences on Radeon, the final straw was the black screen bug (the most infuriating thing when gaming). I think this is what’s causing Radeons market share to decline. Because right now I can get hold of RX 6000 cards faster, easier and cheaper then 30 series. But the market share for Radeon is in decline, maybe when they can put out another budget $200 card they will start to claw back market share. But at the high end they are being eaten alive. AMD seemed to have ramped up the price and performance of their solutions to match Nvidia but it feels like they are trying to sell you a souped up Honda Civic for Lamborghini money.

I swear it’s been years and he still doesn’t give up. Hard Reset simply does not understand statistics or surveys. This data actually compliments the steam survey as Ryzens share is up in the steam survey!
Ryzen is CPU, not GPU.

Also I have given you tons of chances to prove Steam data is correct, but as always, you have failed.
Nvidia rox AMD sux
Corrected.

Ryzen is CPU, not GPU.

Also I have given you tons of chances to prove Steam data is correct, but as always, you have failed.

Corrected.

I've not been prompted to run that survey on my machine for over a year now.

And I'm gone 3800X to 5800X and RX 580 to 6800XT this year. And I know others in the same boat so I'm not really surprised the GPU aren't totally accurate.

I think people are waiting before switching to a completely new platform. The mobos are not cheap and DDR5 is expensive and not worth it (and few want to buy into the bleeding edge and not actually invest in DDR5). I wonder if DDR5 will make better sense with Zen4.
I am definitely waiting for the new AMD platform. I hope some of those new fabs are on line by then.

Oh, like you do?

You know you could also check Newegg's top selling graphics cards - #1 is a Sapphire 6600XT right now. Amazon US: Red Devil 6600 XT is on the number 1 spot. Or check availability at Microcenter or Best Buy...

The reasons why Alder Lake is not flying off the shelves despite glowing reviews,
1. Oh, I have to change my motherboard again. On the other hand, even ageing B450 and X470 motherboard users can flash their board a drop in a Ryzen 5000 series.

2. DDR5 are sold out almost everywhere. Even if you can find 1, there's like super limited stock and easily cost 2x of a high end pair of DDR4 kit. While DDR4 boards are available, there's limited availability and option as well.

3. The need for very buggy Win 11 to work well. At least for me, I am not considering to switch to Win 11 anytime soon.

How many TechSpot readers like me have rigs that are old as the hills, at this point.
I have a houseful of them, my "newest" being a Skylake i5-6600K. / Z170 rig..

I'm online right now, with an Intel G-41 / Pentium E-6300 dual core anachronism. (Launch date Q 2 / '09).

Still got my Pentium 4 “Prescott” with an Asus Radeon X800 XT sitting in the loft. I think it’s a spiders nest now.
Ahem, Dude that's cheating. It has to be a working, daily use rig..

Besides, that Prescott P-4 hasn't outlived its usefulness.. Set the BIOS to start without a monitor detected, "msconfig" Prime 95 as a startup program, and use it to keep the attic warm.

Then, with a bright LED on top, it should attract moths, which of course, will be trapped and eaten by the spiders. Your great grandfather's army uniforms will be saved, and you'll be "paying it forward", in the form of "meals on wheels", for arachnids.

Last edited:
Back