Alienware 13 Review

Julio Franco

Staff member

If you want a reasonably small and portable gaming laptop, the Alienware 13 is one of the leading options on the market. With its 13.3-inch display, the footprint of this laptop is smaller than a typical 15-inch laptop, and if you're willing to put up with extra thickness and weight, it's possible to use it as a portable workstation instead of an ultraportable.

Read the full article here.

The battery life is honestly disappointing. The alienware 15r2 hits 6-7 hours of browsing on a charge, this one doesn't hit 4 hours, despite a smaller screen to go with the smaller battery.

There is also the elephant in the room that is the gigabyte aero 14WV6, which has the same I series/1060 combo, but in a much smaller chassis with a huge 94WH battery.

The alienware 13 fails at being an ultraportable, and its battery life is pathetic for the price.

I would have to say that all in all, it's disappointing. They would have been better to keep what they had!

Dang that thing's ugly. From the front its aesthetics rival an early-2000's Compaq.

The performance is there, but I would never buy one even if I were a traveling gamer. The price points of these things never seem reasonable to me.

I would advise anyone looking at the ALienware 13 R3 to STAY AWAY.
I have the OLED version since December, it was very pricey at $2000. I have had so many problems with it. The AlienFX chip that controls the laptops lighting died and the soundcard started producing wierd noises. I had to replace the motherboard already- google 'Alienware lights not working'.. this is a common problem for years. The system stutters CONSTANTLY. Alienware does not know the cause, they keep doing driver updates but that has not fixed it. The battery life is horrendous but what's worse is the performance on battery. Even on "Max Power" setting, even old games have unplayable frame rates. It's not just the GPU though, it's the CPU. I can't perform moderately demanding tasks like writing music while on battery because there is so much audio latency. This is strange because I didn't have this problem on my previous laptop. I am always having to restart the computer because it is slow when it wakes up, haven't figured out the cause. This thing has been a complete nightmare. I wish I never bought this thing.

Back