Alienware's new Area-51 gaming rig looks out of this world

Shawn Knight

Staff member

alienware area-51 intel alienware gaming haswell-e area 51 alienware area 51

Alienware's new Area 51 gaming PC is making a comeback. If you through the design of the original system was revolutionary way back in 2006, wait until you get a load of what they've come up with this time. I promise you, it's unlike anything you've seen before... and it's actually functional.

The chassis has been completely redesigned, now with a triangular / hexagonal body - or as Alienware calls it, a "triad case." It puts cooling efficiency and ergonomics above all else as it's designed to properly vent warm air even when backed up against a wall.

alienware area-51 intel alienware gaming haswell-e area 51 alienware area 51

When sitting flat, the sloped front bezel makes accessing USB ports and the like a breeze. Reaching the rear I/O panel is an easy affair as well: simply tilt the system forward on its front edge. Alienware has even included some LEDs to help light up the rear panel while fiddling with it under your desk (finally, a purpose for LED lighting).

The system also has built-in handles on each corner to help with transportation although at a height of 22 inches and weighing in at 45 pounds, it probably still won't be all that easy to haul to the next LAN party (do people still host LANs?).

Even with the odd shape, there's still plenty of room inside for hardware. Good thing, too, because Alienware is packing the new Area 51 with Intel's brand new Haswell-E chips and supporting hardware. Buyers can configure their system with up to 32GB of DDR4 RAM, multiple hard drives / solid state drives and even a 1,500 watt power supply.

Permalink to story.

The shape looks cool but I don't like the design (makes sense?). It's still not enough to justify it's price. It maybe has better cooling but liquid cooling a in normal shaped case is perfectly fine.

This is awesome. I think this is what a boutique builder should be. Something you cant just "make yourself" something cool and never seen before making it worthy of its price tag. Plus its refreshing not to see another black rectangle. (Not that I have anything against them) For another awesome design look for the Corsair Graphite 380T

Yes some people still host LANs. I host a 3-4 day LAN party every 4 to 6 months or so. Usually 12-14 people show up. It kind of sucks playing mostly older games. Most new games don't have LAN anymore. We have a questionable internet connection so we don't usually try to get everyone in an online game. Pisses me off devs started removing LAN. Anyway... yes, they still exist.

Transparent Monitor with hidden base and you don't have all this clutter above in that picture. Today most systems can do 32 GB of RAM well mine goes high up to DDR3 but since I only use 16 GB right now. Move back to 32 GB when I need too.

That post on LAN parties were fun even running them on off the server online. Today everyone does Online Gaming so the push for LAN Gaming is gone. So older Games still rule with LAN Party Feature. STO - Star Trek Online is very popular now with the Free To Play option still comes out cheaper. Of course there is Gold and Life Time players. The former Battle Pirates can't compare with Star Trek Online.

Alienware is usually the Lamborghini of pc's , not so sure about the new design
I don't think I'd go that far. Alienware computers aren't really luxury machines. This design is interesting though.
Not luxury machines? What are they then? I mean, you get the highest end hardware with all the peripherals, software, water cooling, the full package and is also very overpriced. Seems pretty luxury to me.

See the problem with that analogy is there leaves no room for the rest of computers, Lambo's are a different class of car all together. I'd use the Americanized version of luxury cars like a Cadillac, it's still standard parts from GM on the inside, with some tinsel on the outside and maybe some different design elements but really at it's core it's still just off the shelf PC components anyone can buy.

I don't think I'd go that far. Alienware computers aren't really luxury machines. This design is interesting though.
A computer that can be spec'd out to 10K isn't a luxury machine?
They certainly charge luxury prices.

Not trying to nit pick just saying.
I've seen a a 14" Alienware laptop from their recent lineup and it was pretty damn nice.
Heavy little bastard.

Last edited:
A computer that can be spec'd out to 10K isn't a luxury machine?
They certainly charge luxury prices.
Apple desktops can be spec'd to cost over that. Would you consider them luxury as well? I guess when I think luxury machines the first thing that comes to mind are companies like Maingear and Puget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the design concept is refreshingly different. I am not so sure about the functionality, that would have to be something I see for myself by using the case. Alienware has always been the brand look at with awe. You see somebody with an alienware machine, you know they had to splurge and you know they got some top of the range stuff that goes above and beyond what a normal customer would get. That in itself makes alienware a luxury product.

On another note, Yes, LANs are still being hosted. Here in Africa we even have RAGE, 1400 people lanning under 1 roof. Tickets get sold out within the hour and gamers take their machines to be show cased and showed off. Aside from that, smaller private lans are still hosted because contrary to popular belief, gamers are not anti-social. It just so happens that we cannot really do what we enjoy doing with our free time as a group, not unless we lug our expensive equipment to a get together. I enjoy having somebody to swear at, being able to take a timeout to re-strategise with the guys before going in for the next round of SCII or swearing at a guy that keeps killing you in CODMW3 and hearing his laughter from across the room. No matter how you look at it, the psyche produced at a lan is unique. It is disappointing that the LAN option is being phased away.

I know a lot of people don't like the design but I personally don't mind it. If I had to choose between this and a regular case, I'd probably choose the regular case. That being said I still think it looks sleek enough for me not to hate or dislike it

Back