Almost 50 percent of all PCs are now running Windows 10, research claims

Polycount

Staff
In context: It took a while, but Windows 10 has long since established itself as the dominant operating system on PCs. In January, it finally eclipsed Windows 7 with roughly 39 percent global adoption versus 7's 36 percent. This suggests that, while Windows 7 is still popular (due in no small part to its lack of invasive telemetry features), users are slowly starting to accept the inevitable and make the jump to 10.

With ransomware attacks and an official end of support date (January 14, 2020) both presenting security threats to 7 users, this is an understandable trend: nobody wants to be left vulnerable due to an OS choice alone.

Naturally, many Windows 7 users would undoubtedly prefer that Microsoft continue to support their favorite OS indefinitely; but the tech giant has made it clear that this isn't in the cards -- despite 7's still-significant market share. Microsoft has a vision for the future of Windows, and it doesn't lie in significant, infrequent OS changes (such as XP, 7, and 8). Instead, it sees Windows as a platform: a "live service" that can be updated, changed, and sometimes broken, on a whim over time.

The purpose of today's article is to present some intriguing new Windows usage information. Data provided by NetApplications reveals that Windows 10 usage now sits at around 48 percent.

That's a sizable jump of roughly nine percent compared to January's numbers, and Windows 7 usage has dropped even further to about 32 percent. The reason for such a large Windows 10 boost over the past few months is not entirely clear.

It could be end-of-support anxiety getting under the skin of Windows 7 faithfuls and enterprises; though the latter group has the option of extending security update support to 2023 for additional annual fees.

It'll be interesting to see how much these numbers change by the beginning of 2020, and we'll update you if any significant shifts happen before then.

Bottom image credit: TechRadar

Permalink to story.

It is logical, because most of the new hardware have win 10 Pre-installed or bundled. So it is a matter of new hardware and new software not better one IMO
Windows 7.1 period.

Not to mention new hardware only runs on windows 10 as Microsoft refuses to support anything newer then Skylake on windows 7.

Last edited:
Many windows 7 users have disabled and deleted the windows update service since it introduces the viruses and spyware that are in 10. So the statistic is flawed since many windows 7 computers do not phone home anymore. Others on the other hand use 10 in VMWare for testing purposes. I alone have 4-5 VMs with it in different states of brokenness, which are unusable once you try to disable the spyware. I still keep them and they still manage to phone home and rig the stats.

So... I clicked at the link pointing to the actual NetApplications data and it only attributes 41.58% to Windows 10. That's not quite the 48% which could be extrapolated to support the article's headline - plus it explains why it was just 39% last time we checked. There was not a big, incomprehensible jump. Windows 10 went from 39% to 42% based mostly on sales of new PCs. That is all.

Don't get me wrong, most of the stuff mentioned in the article is correct and I DO understand all about a slow summer news day, but this is just not right. Windows 10 will get there eventually, but this is a headline for January 2020 or February 2020 at the earliest, not August 2019. Come on, guys.

Had to Jump through hoops to get my 2600 to work, reinstalling win7 is not for the feint of heart. I use programs not apps! Micro has really rubbed me the wrong way, it's been years and they still only offer win7 in Korean if you originally bought it via digital download.... This sabotage will not be forgotten, I won't be buying any microsoft products in the future.

Everyone would be fine with running Windows 10 if it had a friendly UI and didn't spy on users or break things it shouldn't. Customers have made this abundantly clear but Microsoft's echo chamber seems impenetrable.
I agree with your criticism in general but why do you think windows 10 doesn't have a "friendly" UI? I treid so many linux distros and Mac but I still think windows has the "most friendly" UI

So... I clicked at the link pointing to the actual NetApplications data and it only attributes 41.58% to Windows 10. .
If you look at the graph, and not the table, the final data point states:

Windows 10 - 48.86%
Windows 7 - 31.83%

The table is average the share values across the date range selected in the graph, I.e. from 2018-08 to 2019-07.

I assume the graphs represent the Desktop/Laptop Market Segment? It would nice to have an overview of the operating systems being used for Server Deployment.

Comparing Linux vs Windows Server and the year of releases.

So... I clicked at the link pointing to the actual NetApplications data and it only attributes 41.58% to Windows 10. .
If you look at the graph, and not the table, the final data point states:

Windows 10 - 48.86%
Windows 7 - 31.83%

The table is average the share values across the date range selected in the graph, I.e. from 2018-08 to 2019-07.

You're absolutely right, didn't think to hover above the data points themselves. Noteworthy news, then - didn't actually think MS would hit that milestone until early 2020, TBH. Thank you.

I just wiped my laptop as I was sick of it not sleeping and restarting incited of shutting down, I wonder if it's classed as two of the 50%.

I agree with your criticism in general but why do you think windows 10 doesn't have a "friendly" UI? I treid so many linux distros and Mac but I still think windows has the "most friendly" UI

FWIW, I'm one who doesn't like Win10's UI. My brain doesn't see it as a useful, logical, well organized UI. It simply doesn't work well for me. I still feel that Win7 was easier to arrange for personal preferences and individual needs. I can accomplish the same thing with Win10, but 1) it takes a lot more work, including software and registry hacks; and 2) twice a year, Microsoft's upgrades wipe out the registry hacks and I have to reset everything. I don't need 99% of the glop that is built into Win10's UI. I need something that allows me to arrange shortcuts and icons in a manner that are useful and logical to me. Win10 doesn't just resist allowing me to do that; it aggressively fights back. I've switched over to Win10, and I've got it set up so it works well for me ... but the amount of effort going into customizing and getting it set up is probably three or four times as much as it took with Win7. I think that's a good definition of a UI that's not friendly (to some people).

I try using 10 but always come back to 7. First off, I've found 7's networking to be better. With 10 half my PCs don't show up on the network unless I jump through countless hoops. I also like a UI that looks like it was designed for a mouse and keyboard on a powerful gaming PC, not a flat, ugly UI that looks like it was made for a tablet. Sue me but I also like to feel like I'm using my own PC, not renting one from Microsoft that I have no control over.

So it has taken a little over four years for Windows 10 to almost reach 50%, and they were even giving it away for free. This really doesn't seem like something to brag about.

It is logical, because most of the new hardware have win 10 Pre-installed or bundled. So it is a matter of new hardware and new software not better one IMO
Windows 7.1 period.

Not to mention new hardware only runs on windows 10 as Microsoft refuses to support anything newer then Skylake on windows 7.

It rather depends on how old your PC is... I have found 'MS support' to be relative non existent! there is far more support to be found online, eg sevenforums, found by searching your problem... :)

I even had a MS guy did not believe I was 'not a hacker', so I had my IT boss shout at them!! :mad:

So it has taken a little over four years for Windows 10 to almost reach 50%, and they were even giving it away for free. This really doesn't seem like something to brag about.

It was NOT really free, it was forced on us as a 'necessary update' and they did not say it was a download of win10 to take over your PC...

a financially poor friend of mine was on a very low bandwidth ISP (100M a month, normally plenty for his small needs..) - then he was confused why it was being used up quickly , on only 1 or two pages a day...

Doomworm says....
I also like to feel like I'm using my own PC, not renting one from Microsoft that I have no control over.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's called "Ransomware" but the Licensing Agreement (LOL) also includes Blackmail and Extortion

Like other forms of malware, Spyware Platform 10 obfuscates its code to prevent security professionals from seeing what is really going on

Backdoors in the firewall as well as Bitlocker are just icing on the cake

If you are forced to use any version of Windows due to software Lock-In, I feel bad for you son, you've got 99 problems and Windows is all of em

NO MORE RANSOM

Last edited:
I try using 10 but always come back to 7. First off, I've found 7's networking to be better. With 10 half my PCs don't show up on the network unless I jump through countless hoops. I also like a UI that looks like it was designed for a mouse and keyboard on a powerful gaming PC, not a flat, ugly UI that looks like it was made for a tablet. Sue me but I also like to feel like I'm using my own PC, not renting one from Microsoft that I have no control over.
you are probably using insecure protocols that are not allowed by default on windows 10, I personally think windows 7 looks old fashioned though with 10 I'm using startisback so I don't have to deal with the tiles start menu.

Back