Am i bottlenecking?

Hello. My rather outdated pc rocks a GTX 960 H110 PRO-VD a 550W 80+ PSU an I3 7100 and a single stick of 8GB Corsair ram with 2400MHZ of speed
As you could guess my performance is rather bad on most games. Like around 110 fps on CSGO on low and high settings (yes theyre the same no idea why) Why is this happening? Are one of my parts too weak or strong for the other ones? Also a side note when I overclock the GPU I barely see any affect so maybe its getting bottlenecked.
Thanks

Yes, it’s almost certainly your CPU - it’s stuggling to send out enough frames for your graphics card to render, which is why CS:GO is running at the same speed at all detail settings. You also only have one DIMM of RAM, which also slows things down. Either that or you have vsync enabled!

That particular motherboard supports up to an i7-6700K, with the most recent BIOS, and coupled with another matching 8GB of RAM, that should do very nicely - a noticeable improvement over the i3.

Yes, it’s almost certainly your CPU - it’s stuggling to send out enough frames for your graphics card to render, which is why CS:GO is running at the same speed at all detail settings. You also only have one DIMM of RAM, which also slows things down. Either that or you have vsync enabled!

That particular motherboard supports up to an i7-6700K, with the most recent BIOS, and coupled with another matching 8GB of RAM, that should do very nicely - a noticeable improvement over the i3.
Sorry for the late reply but thank you SO much I couldnt find a single forum post on the internet about this specific gpu and cpu. Thanks again man.

Just a couple of things to note about swapping the CPU to something like the 6700K - compared to your i3-7100, it has twice the numbers of cores and threads (along with a higher clock speed) but consumes twice as much power. Make sure your power supply is going to be comfortable drawing the extra current and you have an appropriate cooler. Also, I'd not checked the CPU compatibility carefully enough - your motherboard can support the i7-7700K too. Essentially the same as the 6700K but with a higher clock speed and a couple of very minor tweaks for a slightly better performance (read our review here).

Adding in additional RAM shouldn't be a problem, but note that the 6700K only supports DDR4-2133 by default (compared to DDR4-2400 for the i3-7100). However, given that your motherboard will only run the RAM at 2133 MHz anyway (chipset limitation), the extra speed offered by your DDR4-2400 stick wasn't being used anyway. If you're going to double up the memory, to take advantage of using both memory channels (which will give a nice performance bump), make sure you get the same brand and model - either that or just get a pair of 2133 matched sticks.

Finally, with a faster processor and two RAM sticks, the performance bottleneck will almost certainly swing towards the GPU - it's getting pretty old now and something like a GeForce GTX 1660 would be noticeably faster (here's our comparison between the two graphics cards).

Back