Am I going about this the right way?? (media computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneasyrider

Alright first, I'm sort of new to the whole media center PC idea. But it's gotten to where I can download videos and things off the net. Things that I would like to watch on my TV I have to convert to DVD and play it that way.

Well, that's time consuming and a waste of DVD's. So here's what I'm doing to make a media center PC. Please keep in mind that I am not interested whatsoever in the 'Media Center' software that records & does organization of your files. I want to handle all of that. All I'm looking to do is be able to view videos I've downloaded on my computer the easiest way. So here's what I've done.

I have a case & power supply someone gave me. I have a Gigabyte motherboard with a Pentium 4 2.8ghz processor (w/ stock fan) that I bought from someone.

I ordered the memory for the board, along with a cheap network card.

I ordered an ATI Radeon 9550 video card. Along with it I ordered a Sapphire DVI > HDTV Component Video converter. This converter will output to any HD resolution and send via component input, which I can plug straight into my TV (44' Panasonic LCD)

I ordered a large hard drive.

I plan on installing Windows XP on this PC, hooking it up to my router, stashing it in a corner closet, and controlling it via VNC connection. I'll use to play my videos which I can see on my television, supposedly in High Def if they were recorded so. I'm not real sure on how that works though.

Again, playing videos is all I'm interested in doing. I don't do PC gaming, I don't want to surf the net on my TV, and I don't need to organize my media.

If anyone has any tips, ideas, or just an easier way to go about doing things... I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

That all sounds OK - but why not get a Dual HD TV Tuner, then U can Watch & Record Digital TV.

I have a very similar setup to yours at home - hooked up to 38" LCD via DVI.

It has XP Home, 2 x DVD Burners, a 320 & a 200GB HDD and the TV Card. I have a wireless NIC so I can watch any recorded shows from any PC in the house. I have connected the Home Theatre Speakers via Optical SPDIF.

Fragrant Coit said:
That all sounds OK - but why not get a Dual HD TV Tuner, then U can Watch & Record Digital TV.
I have DVR on my digital cable box that I use all the time. I want this PC more to just watch videos I've downloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back