Amazon customers report having their PS5 deliveries being stolen by drivers

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
WTF?! Amazon is facing an unexpected PlayStation 5 PR nightmare. In the last 24 hours, numerous PS5 orders have gone missing in the UK. It does not appear that it is a case of rampant porch piracy, though. Instead, multiple delivery drivers may be behind the thefts.

Update (11/20/20): Amazon UK issued a statement to Eurogamer regarding the thefts of the PlayStation 5 orders shortly we published this report.

"We're all about making our customers happy, and that hasn't happened for a small proportion of these orders. We're really sorry about that and are investigating exactly what's happened. We're reaching out to every customer who's had a problem and made us aware so we can put it right. Anyone who has had an issue with any order can contact our customer services team for help."

Thursday marked the PlayStation 5's launch day in the United Kingdom. Many Amazon customers anxiously awaited the delivery of their shiny new next-gen console only to find a package containing a toy or another useless item. Others found that their orders had been marked as "delivered" but received nothing at all.

Reports of wrong items being delivered began trickling in to Twitter last night. The substituted products were so ridiculous that it was initially thought to be pranksters making fun of how hard it is to get your hands on a PS5. However, as Amazon delivery drivers worked into the night to get all the orders out, more reports came in, some from reputable sources. Eurogamer notes that even some of its staff got ripped off.

This morning, Nintendo Life editor Anthony Dickens tweeted his PS5 delivery arrived a day late, and when he opened it, the package contained a Nerf gun. Upon examining the shipping carton, Dickens noticed that someone had sealed it with clear packing tape rather than the usual Amazon-branded tape.

MTV journalist Bex April May also tweeted that she got an air fryer instead of a PlayStation 5. Pictures of her box also show clear tape was used to reseal it. Other items folks have reported getting include a bag of rice, a foot massager, cat food, and a George Foreman Grill. And those were the lucky ones that at least got something.

Several people have reported not getting their delivery at all. One customer said he was tracking his package and saw the courier pull up outside of his house, stop, then drive away. A "failed delivery" notification popped up seconds later. Fortunately, the driver was only a short distance down the road making another stop, and the customer was able to confront him and get his package. He is just one of many who have seemingly been getting scammed by Amazon delivery drivers.

Complaints responses indicate that Amazon has been getting flooded with refund requests for failed PS5 shipments over the last 24-hours, but the company has not responded to requests for comment.

Image credit: Jeramey Lende

Permalink to story.

Had this happen with a pair of AirPods Pro from Amazon. Item was replaced with, I **** you not, a mini flute!

Delivery driver handsets probably have GPS trackers, should be relatively straight forward to find them.

Had to track down the UPS driver after we watched him circle the block a few times before driving away with mine and my friend's PS5s. We followed him about a mile down the road and nicely persuaded him to produce our packages that he forgot to deliver.

Heartbreaking to hear this is really happening. Maybe call in a report? If he did it to you and a friend, he probably did it to others too, some of whom may not have been there to track him down - your report might help their case.

That's weird there is not any problem with the Nintendo Switch while it's not possible to buy even PS4 for a reasonable price. Some nightmare. Sony lost control absolutely.

We've also had a new Amazon driver delivering to us, claimed he attempted delivery, but CCTV shows no evidence of anyone ever pulling up outside. Got through to customer service to log a complaint, had to really dig it home that this is unacceptable. Same day that driver actually turned up, the box had a hole in it, obviously looked like someone tried to have a look at what was inside, and also the seal was torn at one end. Luckily the large box did not contain a PS5! (just bowls).

Conclusion, Amazon are losing the plot, and this has put us right off ordering items of value from them, looks like we'll have to get re-acquainted with other online stores like the old days for more valuable orders.

You can't be serious. If that really happened, that's beyond grounds for termination.

He said "I couldn't see the house number so I was going to circle back eventually" but again he was a mile down the road at this point and it was 8PM. We get packages here weekly so I doubt that was the case, but he didn't put up a fight when we asked for the packages so we didn't report him. It definitely was odd though....and after seeing this story makes a little more sense.

You can't be serious. If that really happened, that's beyond grounds for termination.

Unfortunately that happens fairly often. I had a small desk that was supposed to be delivered by the USPS and I was home when I received a notification stating, "sorry we missed you, we will try to del on the next day" I was like, hold on, no one knocked on the door, I immediately when looking for the driver, found him in the mail room at the apt complex, I asked him about my package and he said, well the item is too big (less than 50 lbs) and I am physically unable to del. So he never even loaded the truck, plain simple lied in his paperwork, I reported to Amazon and the post office, Amazon gave me little over $20 for the inconvenience, which I wasn't even expecting since they did not do anything wrong, but at the post office, the lady said, well we have a lot of females and older people here and we can't physically handle some items! I was like WTF? I was so pissed!

Unfortunately that happens fairly often. I had a small desk that was supposed to be delivered by the USPS and I was home when I received a notification stating, "sorry we missed you, we will try to del on the next day" I was like, hold on, no one knocked on the door, I immediately when looking for the driver, found him in the mail room at the apt complex, I asked him about my package and he said, well the item is too big (less than 50 lbs) and I am physically unable to del. So he never even loaded the truck, plain simple lied in his paperwork, I reported to Amazon and the post office, Amazon gave me little over $20 for the inconvenience, which I wasn't even expecting since they did not do anything wrong, but at the post office, the lady said, well we have a lot of females and older people here and we can't physically handle some items! I was like WTF? I was so pissed!

The USPS has been notorious for saying they have delivered packages that they didn't. On two occasions I contacted Amazon Customer Support letting them know I had security cameras that countered the delivery claim. Both times Amazon refunded me. Vendors really need to stop using USPS.

Good thing I have camera's on my house, got a set of Ray's 57CR's coming in next week, if they come up missing....some bodies getting shot...lol

The USPS has been notorious for saying they have delivered packages that they didn't. On two occasions I contacted Amazon Customer Support letting them know I had security cameras that countered the delivery claim. Both times Amazon refunded me. Vendors really need to stop using USPS.
OnTrac lost 3 shipments in 2 weeks plus claimed deliveries. Avoid OnTrac.

Yes. I have had horrendous trouble with the USPS. What makes them so bad is they will take zero responsibility even when they admit the delivery failure was theirs.

They misdelivered a package to the wrong address once and I was tracking it so I called them immediately when I saw it was delivered. Waited on hold for 3 hours (I'm not even exaggerating). When someone finally came on and I explained they delivered it to the wrong house: "Oh we'll send the driver out to retrieve it and call you back when he has it." No callback but the package was marked out for delivery.

So, I called three days later (I waited 3 days because I actually have a life that requires I don't sit on the phone for 3 hours doing nothing). "Oh, it was too late to send him out that day. We'll send him out today."

WHAT? No recovery attempted for 3 days. All hope was lost realistically, but they strung me along for a full month telling me they were trying to get it when they weren't. The final conversation was, and I paraphrase here, "we apologize, but you are screwed." It was an eBay delivery, and I contacted the seller. "Sorry, it says it was delivered from my end." So screwed there too.

Fortunately, it was only a $15 item so I wasn't too heartbroken about writing it off. but could you imagine if it was a PS5? I would be livid.

Definitely not ordering any Electronics through Amazon ever again after this mess. You can order it through a local chain and have it delivered to the store. Open the box in front of them and confirm the unit is there before you leave. Amazon Drivers can't be Trusted.

Yes. I have had horrendous trouble with the USPS. What makes them so bad is they will take zero responsibility even when they admit the delivery failure was theirs.

They misdelivered a package to the wrong address once and I was tracking it so I called them immediately when I saw it was delivered. Waited on hold for 3 hours (I'm not even exaggerating). When someone finally came on and I explained they delivered it to the wrong house: "Oh we'll send the driver out to retrieve it and call you back when he has it." No callback but the package was marked out for delivery.

So, I called three days later (I waited 3 days because I actually have a life that requires I don't sit on the phone for 3 hours doing nothing). "Oh, it was too late to send him out that day. We'll send him out today."

WHAT? No recovery attempted for 3 days. All hope was lost realistically, but they strung me along for a full month telling me they were trying to get it when they weren't. The final conversation was, and I paraphrase here, "we apologize, but you are screwed." It was an eBay delivery, and I contacted the seller. "Sorry, it says it was delivered from my end." So screwed there too.

Fortunately, it was only a $15 item so I wasn't too heartbroken about writing it off. but could you imagine if it was a PS5? I would be livid.
If there no physical record file for nonreceipt next time use a credit card and chargeback. If you didn't sign for it and it did not arrive it is the seller's problem.

Back