Amazon expands free return policy through the holidays

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Eligible items such as electronics, household products, kitchen appliances and pet supplies can be dropped off at one of more than 18,000 locations including Kohl’s, UPS, Amazon Books stores, Amazon 4-Star stores, Amazon Hub locations and select Whole Foods Markets.

Amazon isn’t focused solely on expediting the delivery process as part of its retail takeover. The e-commerce giant on Wednesday demonstrated that it also wants to make returns as seamless as possible – at least, through the holiday season.

Per the expanded return policy, millions of items shipped and fulfilled by Amazon between November 1, 2019, and December 31, 2019, can be returned for free until January 31, 2020.

In many instances, you don’t even need to print out a label or package your return – just bring it in and show the supplied QR code to the sales associate and they’ll handle it from there.

Amazon said customers can return products for any reason. You’ll have up to 30 days from delivery to initiate a return for a full refund.

Libby Johnson McKee, director of Amazon WW returns and re-commerce, said, “with free returns on millions of items, customers don’t need to worry if the keyboard they ordered doesn’t feel quite right or if their dog likes his new bed – they can buy with confidence, knowing they’ll be able to return it for free with just a few easy clicks.”

Up to this point, only clothing, shoes and bedding were eligible for at least one free return option.

Masthead credit: Amazon drop off by Sundry Photography

Permalink to story.

It's a good thing, I have had a number of items that were shipped wrong, damaged, or appears to be the companies "dumping" defective goods, hoping they will be accepted. I'm very happy that Amazon has taken back each one. Good Show!

Amazon's prices are still too high compared to almost anyone else. I'll take the chance on something not being right and needing to pay a few bucks to return it vs getting overcharged on every purchase.

My opinion of Amazon has dropped as of late, for numerous reasons.
Their return policy is awesome tho, best in the business

It's a good thing, I have had a number of items that were shipped wrong, damaged, or appears to be the companies "dumping" defective goods, hoping they will be accepted. I'm very happy that Amazon has taken back each one. Good Show!

Same here. I had to send back two defective motherboards recently. I am convinced they were customer returns. The back plates were not in sealed packs and had fingerprints all over them and one of the boards had the CPU protective cover missing and a cluster of badly damaged pins!

Back