Amazon Prime US customer numbers jump 8% to 180 million, an all-time high

midian182

Staff member
In brief: With all the layoffs and introduction of ads to its video streaming service, one could easily imagine that Amazon Prime user numbers might have fallen in the US recently, but the reality is that they've never been higher. The service hit a record 180 million customers in the United States last month, marking an 8% increase compared to the same period a year earlier.

The latest Amazon Prime numbers come from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), which has been tracking memberships since 2014. The report notes that growth slowed down in the US before Covid after years of impressive figures. It remained flat in the post-pandemic period before picking up over the last 12 months.

The estimated 180 million customers that had Prime subscriptions in March was around 13 million more than in March 2023. CIRP estimates its numbers based on individual Amazon customers who use Prime, which is higher than the number of US households that pay for a Prime subscription.

Also on the rise is the percentage of Amazon customers with Prime memberships, now estimated at 75%. That's a high point for Prime membership among customers, which stood at 70% two years ago.

News that Prime customer numbers have reached an all-time high might come as a surprise. Amazon introduced ads to its Prime Video service on January 29. Removing them adds an extra $2.99 per month to a subscription, though you'll also get Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos surround support back – Amazon quietly dropped these features for those who refuse to pay the extra money, without informing customers.

While some people said they planned on canceling their Prime subscriptions as a result of the ads being introduced, the shopping and shipping perks always made it likely that the losses wouldn't be significant. Reaching a record-high wasn't expected, admittedly. CIRP writes that the increase suggests US consumers believe "their Amazon shopping habit justifies the investment in Prime membership." Maybe people were signing up in preparation for Fallout's arrival?

It's all good news for Amazon, which has cut tens of thousands of jobs since the start of 2023. It recently announced that it would be dropping the "Just Walk Out" technology from its grocery stores in favor of the cheaper and more accurate Dash Carts.

Permalink to story:

It's not a rage quit thing. I'd like to see how their number of viewer-hours is trending. I spend a lot less time with Amazon Prime since the ads started and more with services that don't have ads.

Consumers gotta CoNsOoOm. If the last few years have proven anything, for every customer that values their time and money, there are ten that will happily put up with corporate slop shoved down their throat for another hit of garbage.

Is there any evidence at all that Prime Video is the main reason people have, or are adopting, the overall Prime service? It's only one of multiple benefits, any of which could be the reason people are subbing.

Also on the rise is the percentage of Amazon customers with Prime memberships, now estimated at 75%. That's a high point for Prime membership among customers, which stood at 70% two years ago.

Hey now. Do the numbers here for that fancy graph take into consideration the "free" prime accounts or the 1-week trial membership they offer at times when checking out for $1.99?

I order off amazon maybe 2-3 times a year because I can't find what I need anywhere else. Those few times I order I'm always given the "sign up for a free month". So I sign up to get free shipping and immediately after I sign up, complete my order, I go to the section to unsubscribe my prime account (which takes 3-4 clicks still to cancel the sub).

Makes me wonder how many people forget to cancel their free or 1-week trial memberships and then start getting billed every month.

Unfortunately we live in a defeated culture, in which the new generation just takes all sorts of corporate abuse and they turn a blind eye to the situation while willing to pay more for less.

Long gone are the days people used to take a stand and say no with their wallets.

Is there any evidence at all that Prime Video is the main reason people have, or are adopting, the overall Prime service? It's only one of multiple benefits, any of which could be the reason people are subbing.
I don't think so and that's by design: Amazon doesn't wants anyone to disclose exactly how much each part of prime weights in for the overall subscription and retention numbers because most people would usually just keep Prime active regardless: Their approach is among the lines of 'Get new subs with the Fallout show and keep them with the promise of fast shipping in the future' as all it matters is you get into Prime and there's usually always going to be something to persuade you to keep paying the modest fee per month with the one exception being having to pay extra for Amazon Music because well, the RIAA sucks and probably demanded unreasonably high royalties.

Is anyone assuming Prime Video is the reason people have Prime? I have Prime because I want free, fast deliveries of my Amazon purchases.

There's Prime Music, Prime Video, Prime Gaming, and Amazon Prime and everyone has their own motivation, I guess.

I do not think even 50% got it for watching low quality shows with ads.
I just recently realized I save money by not using my car going to stores to buy most of all the things I need. They are getting it for shopping, streaming is just a side bonus. A shitty bonus with ads, but just a bonus.
P.S. get a free fallout 76 if it is still offered from prime gaming now.

Is anyone assuming Prime Video is the reason people have Prime? I have Prime because I want free, fast deliveries of my Amazon purchases.

There's Prime Music, Prime Video, Prime Gaming, and Amazon Prime and everyone has their own motivation, I guess.

I really wish they would just offer discounted Prime shipping without all that other stuff; even if it was a single penny cheaper I would prefer just the shipping; I have no interest in those other services.

Only use Prime for Prime Shipping. Prime Video, especially with the adds (although, UBlock helps), has lost me. Fallout wasn't that great, and I haven't been very happy with anything else they put out.

Everyone I know that has Prime has it for the delivery.

I have access to it myself through a friends account but I still acquired Fallout through 'other' means because I refuse to watch ads.

Contrary to the article, it turned a LOT of us off. We also want a striped down version of prime with the focus on free shipping ONLY for us old retired folks that don't want or need all that other crap ......

Back