Amazon sellers are now paying more than 50% commission

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Amazon is tightening its grip on the merchants who sell their goods on its site, charging an average of more than 50% commission on every sale. The amount sellers pay Amazon has been rising every year for six years, but this is the first time the average cut has been more than half the amount each sale generates.

According to a study by Marketplace Pulse, a typical Amazon seller pays an 8 - 15% transaction fee, or referral fee, to Amazon on every sale. They must also hand over 20 - 35% in Fulfillment by Amazon fees, which include storage and other fees, and up to 15% for advertising and promotions. Bloomberg gives the example of a merchant whose fire pit costs $200, of which Amazon takes $112.

The average fees Amazon collected from merchants last year totaled 51.8%, a considerable increase compared to 2016, when that figure was 35.2%. Marketplace Pulse writes that while the 8 - 15% transaction fee has stayed the same for over a decade, but Amazon has raised Fulfillment by Amazon fees every year and introduced increases in storage fees.

It should be noted that paying for Amazon's logistics and advertising services is optional, but most merchants consider these, especially advertising, a necessary part of doing business. Amazon, of course, disagrees.

"Many selling partners have built and run their businesses without advertising," a spokesperson told Gizmodo. "If they choose to advertise their products, they have many service providers to choose from. Sellers are not required to use our logistics or advertising services, and only use them if they provide incremental value to their business."

The spokesperson added that Amazon's fulfillment center is 30% less expensive on average than standard shipping services offered by third-party providers and is 70% less than other two-day shipping options.

Amazon's price increases over the last few years haven't impacted merchants much, thanks to the rise in online shoppers, especially during the pandemic. But the end of the lockdowns saw people spending their money elsewhere, and the current global economic uncertainty means consumers are spending more of their income on essentials and less on unnecessary luxuries, thereby ruling out merchants raising prices.

It's no coincidence that Amazon generated the slowest sales growth in its history last year, and the company is one of the many tech giants laying off staff (18,000 of them) due to overhiring during the pandemic. Amazon has also increased the annual cost of its Amazon Prime subscription by $20.

Melissa Burdick, a former Amazon executive who is now president of Pacvue, told Bloomberg that Amazon is increasing the amount of space on its site dedicated to advertising, which is making each spot less valuable to merchants. "A lot of sellers are choosing to offer discounts rather than advertise because shoppers are responding more to discounts," said Burdick. While Amazon's advertising revenue did grow by 18.9% last year, it was slower than the previous year's 32.2% growth rate.

Permalink to story.

I had no idea Amazon took such a huge chunk, jeez. Having a flat percentage rate is kind of weird. Wouldn't it cost amazon much more to stock/ship a DIY pantry cabinet, heavy and big, vs like a bluray player or something that cost the same. The pantry guy makes out and the bluray guy gets bent over. Maybe I'm missing something

That's how monopoly works. I often try to find original seller of a product I'm interested in and found on Amazon, and buy it directly.
All the store fronts are to blame. Even in gaming epic is I think the only one with somehow manageable dev fees.
Monopoly is today impossible to fight, and Amazon additionally copy popular products and sells under own brand.

As a seller on Amazon... I have shifted a lot to eBay just because fees are way less. And if you do FBA forget about it. You will need to jack up the price just to make any type of commission.

That's how monopoly works. I often try to find original seller of a product I'm interested in and found on Amazon, and buy it directly.
All the store fronts are to blame. Even in gaming epic is I think the only one with somehow manageable dev fees.
Monopoly is today impossible to fight, and Amazon additionally copy popular products and sells under own brand.
I do the same, so many sellers now partake in something called drop shipping. You have a whole bunch of storefronts with product listings and they don't actually have unique items at all but sell for 3rd party retailers or forward the order to fulfillment centers. Meanwhile they get a nice cut of the profit on top of MSRP without you realizing that you can get that exact item in a hundred other places for different prices.

Huge incentive for a market competitor to show up. Many vendors will only sell their best items through their own site for this very reason.

I hate bezos
I hate amazon

**BUT** this article does not clearly illustrate the reason for the cost and it is feeding on the click-bait 'we hate bezo's crowd' ..

part of the cost is only briefly touched on in that the second a product leaves the factory::
--is shipped to amazon at amazons cost
--stored by amazon or stored by a amazon affiliate at amazons cost
--repackaged by amazon into amazon boxes when needed at amazon cost
--sorted, indexed and advertised by amazon API on the site or by cookies at amazons cost
--staff costs for handling etc..
--then shipping that product at cost to amazon

Imagine you own a business and all you do is order products to sell. every other aspect of the business is taken care by a third party.

Now .. ??is 50% a bit much?? ... well see. like OIL you hit a demand destruction % and you start loosing profit and have to back of. Well see if this tips that ..

I usually try to get it from other sites (or locally) if I can. But otherwise, I go the free shipping route and let Amazon eat that. And the best part? Usually I still get 1 day shipping anyways lol

As a seller on Amazon... I have shifted a lot to eBay just because fees are way less. And if you do FBA forget about it. You will need to jack up the price just to make any type of commission.

Fleabay will get there too. They already announced another rate hike. Thing is that obviously a seller will not want to swallow that increase so it gets kicked to the buyers. Then the buyers complain that stuff is selling well above actual value. It is a terrible cycle.

Good for Amazon. They are in business to make money. If the sellers don't like it they can chose not to sell on Amazon. I used to sell on Amazon but they made it harder and harder esp with their return policy so I stopped. This also goes to show how much items are marked up cause the sellers must be making money

I wonder if people think it would be cheaper to have their own storage facility and pay to have employees do all the packaging and shipping for them?

If you did it all yourself and you had to purchase/rent a facility to house your inventory you have to pay for rent/utilities/taxes. If you need help moving products then you have to pay for help. Then you have to pay for shipping costs to and from your facility.

Amazon is removing the responsibility for you needing to have that extra space and pay others to ship for you and utilities and so on. You're basically paying for the convenience of not having to do 90% of it.

I'm not saying I like Amazon and that I approve of their business practices, but they're offering you a service that mostly negates you to worry about anything outside of maintaining your inventory. Roughly 50% of the cost you make on each item going to Amazon doesn't really sound that bad if you don't want to do all the work on your own.

Amazon...let's let others use our name to sell their products, we'll take a small cut.
Once we find out what really sells, we can produce our own "knock off" version.
Then we raise the commission so high the other sellers will bow out and we'll have
all the money!

Amazon always has been a crook. I would not be surprised to see another 'Amazon like" web site be created with much smaller commission and take much of Amazons clients away.

Typical north american

when you have problem - issue new Magnitzki list - problem solved - all the world watching the mighty eagle

bezos? what? who was that? ..mm, not sure what are u r asking for..

The more I learn, the more I want to cancel my Prime membership and find another retailer. But, me, being a selfish human who likes convenience, is also well, oh, did I say that out loud? Ah well.

If someone has a recommendation for a replacement to Amazon, I'll happily listen. But, let's be honest, how many of us shop at Amazon because of the convenience? I know I do. And it's the only thing stopping me from cancelling my streaming subscriptions and going back to piracy, too.

I can only be pushed so far, but... how far, I wonder?

I'm amazed people give Amazon any business. Their search is literally non-functional garbage, their nearly always the most expensive option and the company's practices are often highly questionable.
I have assumed that the search is intentionally broken to funnel people to Amazon's choices.

I have also been surprised by the tolerance for the horrendously broken search. I wonder if it has improved at all? I used to get almost endless pages of pure garbage (mainly nearly identical items at absurd prices).

Fleabay will get there too. They already announced another rate hike. Thing is that obviously a seller will not want to swallow that increase so it gets kicked to the buyers. Then the buyers complain that stuff is selling well above actual value. It is a terrible cycle.
Ebay is facing strong competition from sites like Etsy, at least for some things. I don't think it has the power to raise prices as much as Amazon.

It doesn't have Amazon's distribution apparatus to try to justify the hikes, making it more vulnerable to competition.

I wonder if people think it would be cheaper to have their own storage facility and pay to have employees do all the packaging and shipping for them?
but... it is. As I said, every time I buy something of value, I look for the seller website. Each time I buy those things cheaper than on amazon (including delivery), and with better support, and guys are really happy to sell directly. Just got an adjustable desk, same company on amazon is 20% more expensive.
Sure, if company is producing some cheap plastic mass production gadgets, they better store that in amazon and probably couldn't care more, but for most other stuff they have warehouses anyway and organizing a shipping is not anything difficult today.

Back