Amazon 'unintentionally' buried competitors with faster delivery in search queries

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: If you have been frustrated at not being able to get some of your orders filled in a timely manner from Amazon, you may have better luck with other independent sellers on the marketplace. However, they are somewhat hard to find due to an oversight on Amazon's part.

Earlier this week, Amazon announced that it would be prioritizing deliveries of essential items and delaying non-essential orders by up to a month. So while you can still get items like groceries or toilet paper (if you can find them in-stock) with speedy delivery, other things like electronic equipment and furnishings might not arrive until mid to late April.

However, delivering of non-essentials does not have to be slow. Several Amazon vendors still ship these items faster—that is as long as you can find their listings. According to Recode, the Amazon Marketplace has been hiding the more expeditious delivery options of competing independent shippers.

Many sellers of items ranging from sporting equipment to office supplies have been offing faster shipping times than Amazon, often at lower prices. Unfortunately, search queries for these products have been minimized by the website’s algorithms to favor offerings sold directly from Amazon warehouses rather than retailers that have the same item and ship them independently.

Recode informed Amazon of this seemingly anti-competitive practice, and the company claimed it was an oversight when adjusting its algorithms for the new prioritization. It claims the hidden listings were completely unintentional and that it is working to rectify the matter.

“To address the need for high-priority items and ensure customers are receiving deliveries as quickly as possible, we’ve made a number of adjustments to how our store works,” said a spokesperson. “In this case, some of these changes have resulted in an error which, in some cases, resulted in an unintended variation in how we select which offers to feature. We are working to correct it as quickly as possible.”

Its excuse is plausible. During regular business operations, Amazon can usually ship items faster from its warehouses than outside vendors. So algorithms were likely tuned in that manner before the slowdown. The company should adjust the search function to run checks on delivery times and prioritize those sellers whose shipping is faster, which should not be hard to do.

In the meantime, if you are looking for vendors who are offering quicker delivery, find the small text box that says “New & Used” (see example above). Clicking the on this will open a list of all sellers offering that product, as well as show shipping costs and delivery times.

Masthead credit: Frederic Legrand

Permalink to story.

I've mostly given up on Amazon. I'm not a prime member, and "Amazon free shipping," from my experience, means my order will get there when they feel like shipping it. Shopping at Amazon has become a game that, for the most part, I am not willing to play. I have found that even if I pay for shipping, my order will still ship when they feel like shipping it - and on complaining about that, they simply respond - "we ship in the manner that is most efficient." :facepalm:

For many of my recent purchases, I have gone with B&H as they really do offer, on many items, free two-day shipping and they ship almost right away. The are often priced the same as Amazon, and even if they are slightly more, the difference in shipping speed and not supporting Amazon's games makes a difference to me that is worth paying for.

Even Newegg is better at shipping than Amazon for non-prime members, IMO.

"Its excuse is plausible"

Plausible if you consider them completely incompetent. That is not a viable excuse to break the law. I guess rules are for the poor though.

"During regular business operations, Amazon can usually ship items faster from its warehouses than outside vendors. So algorithms were likely tuned in that manner before the slowdown."

Or Amazon didn't change their algorithm and just showed everyone that they always favor themselves, regardless of actual performance metrics.

I'm going to go with Occam's razor in this case and favor the latter as it makes fewer assumptions.

'unintentionally'

Yeah right .... I've been an Amazon user for 18 years and I've never seen them do ANYTHING without intent. Only when they get caught and publicly shamed do they apologize. I've turned in dozens of scammers and gougers without so much as a thank you and getting them to stand up for their "guarantee" can be a real challenge at times ... BUT ... over all I give them a B+ rateing. When they are late they admit it and occasionally they are surprisingly early. When things don't show up or are wrong, they take them back and/or issue a refund without question. I can name a LOT of local retailers that won't do that. Being older now I depend on them for things I can't get locally so all in all I will keep them ..... but I won't start cutting them any slack!

'unintentionally'

Yeah right .... I've been an Amazon user for 18 years and I've never seen them do ANYTHING without intent. Only when they get caught and publicly shamed do they apologize. I've turned in dozens of scammers and gougers without so much as a thank you and getting them to stand up for their "guarantee" can be a real challenge at times ... BUT ... over all I give them a B+ rateing. When they are late they admit it and occasionally they are surprisingly early. When things don't show up or are wrong, they take them back and/or issue a refund without question. I can name a LOT of local retailers that won't do that. Being older now I depend on them for things I can't get locally so all in all I will keep them ..... but I won't start cutting them any slack!

I don't know about the latter. Amazon has been trying to charge me restocking fees on DOA products for awhile now. I have to manually call in and get the restocking fee removed, which is ridiculous as the item arrived non-functioning.

I'd also advise that you avoid any used products. They do 0 QC on used stuff. I've had issues with 8 out of the 9 used items I've bought from them.

Amazon's prices used to be lower as well. They slowly started increasing item pricing as prime become more popular. Now you are essentially paying for Prime and for the cost of shipping as it's already added to the cost of the item. All that factoring in that USPS gives Amazon cheap shipping. Amazon is dangerously close to a monopoly IMO.

Last edited:
People should not be ordering non essentials doing so warehouse staff who are not key workers are putting themselfs at risk to deliver tat as well as the already overworked delivery drivers think first.
All these big name companys still trading just thinking of profit so wrong with excuse of many we need keep economy moving or we are an essential service when clearly are not.
Would be nice to get all these companys named and shamed anyone like to start a list?

Back