AMD argues Radeon graphics cards offer better performance & power consumption per dollar...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? AMD might be sorely lagging behind Nvidia when it comes to graphics card popularity, but team red has just published a chart claiming to illustrate one area where it has Jensen & Co. beat: performance per dollar.

Frank Azor, AMD's Chief Architect of Gaming Solutions and Marketing, tweeted that as a gamer, he is grateful to see renewed competition in the high-end graphics card segment. He also posted a chart claiming to show how AMD's Radeon lineup fares against Nvidia's similarly priced equivalents when it comes to performance per dollar (FPS/$) and frames per watt (FPS/Watt).

According to the chart, AMD's RDNA 2 line offers up to 89% more performance per dollar than Nvidia's cards—that figure compares the RX 6400 to the GTX 1050 Ti. AMD's flagship RX 6950 XT, meanwhile, gives 80% more FPS/$ than the RTX 3090 and 22% more FPS/Watt thanks to the Radeon card's 15W lower power requirement.

When it comes to power consumption, AMD has all but the RX 6750 XT (vs. the RTX 3070) and RX 6500 XT (vs. GTX 1650) ahead of Nvidia in terms of performance per watt.

We shouldn't take too much heed from an AMD marketing chart, of course. Firstly, there's no mention of what games were used for the FPS tests, but you can guarantee they would have been cherry picked to favor AMD hardware. Take a look at our own comparison of the RTX 3060 Ti and RX 6700 XT across 50 games at 1440p:

Then there are the prices. The chart says it uses Newegg prices as of May 10, but as we know, cards are getting closer to MSRP every day. AMD has the RTX 3070 Ti down as $750, for example, but there is a $699 Asus TUF 3070 Ti on Newegg right now.

You might also notice the RX 6800 XT is down as having a 280W TBP, yet the official specs say it is 300 Watts.

For an unbiased comparison of similar cards, check out our own versus series, including the RTX 3060 vs. RX 6600 XT, RTX 3060 Ti vs. RX 6700 XT, and the RTX 3080 vs. RX 6800 XT.

Permalink to story.

O look, it's the "I'LL BE HAPPY TO SKIN YOU AND TAKE W/E COIN U GOT LEFT TOO" guy.

The only guy in the USA who owned AMD 6K series GPU's on or about Launch Day besides pro "by-the-palette" Miners, Linus Sebastian, Jayz and the rest of the tech journos team.

As someone who presently relies on hardware video encoding and has been burnt by stuff breaking horribly in edge cases with AMD drivers on multitude of occasions I honestly don't care for any of it. Nvidia might be more expensive AND a horrible company, but at least it always worked for me (unlike AMD).

Marketing slides of desperation.
I want AMD to do well, but I'm not going to pretend they aren't just selling you a card and some bs software.

Do better AMD. Do better.

In other news AMD Radeon offers 0W power draw and 0% performance in CUDA workloads... all yours for 1k$ or there about.

AMD PR departament was always famous for hilariously useless/cringe PowerPoint presentations.

And that 1050Ti comparison, wow it changes everything. LOL

Oh dear, it's not funny at all. Bring back midrange performance cards at 250 USD...and maybe I will give you another try. Even with those shlt drivers you have.
Same goes for team green, latest drivers castrate CPU performance for 10-20%.
If I go with 4xx drivers instead of 5xx series my CPU benchmarks are the same as before.
So yes fix some things before I will give another try

AMD might be sorely lagging behind Nvidia when it comes to graphics card popularity

Especially when nvidia has a huge budget allocated to youtubers and tech sites to use all kinds of tricks to keep the name nvidia present.

Example, see how all youtubers always have a RTX 30 GPU visible on their videos, even if the video is not related to it or the best I example saw, a cell phone review; the 'Tuber" mentioned the "power" of the 3090Ti for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the lower tiers, AMD is far better value. On high tier, I wouldn't say so, it is actually a worse choice, especially if you are interested in RT which is likely if you are spending that much on a gpu

In terms of marketing, I prefer the NVIDIA way in presentations - no mention of competition, comparisons are vs older gen NVIDIA products to showcase what you gain from upgrading.

The shield-bashing about performance is stupid anyway. No current-gen games remotely take advantage of that performance thanks to consoles handicapping everything for everyone, which basically just leaves video rendering as the only meaningful benchmark, which is a niche use case. Oh, and crypto mining, but I wouldn't hazard to mention that for fear of triggering the gamers.

At this point the main thing I care about is how ethically and professionally the company treats its customers and from open-source driver support, a full-featured resident that updates drivers without demanding you register an account first, not locking down the use case of hardware with software, and an emphasis on value over conspicuous consumption, AMD gets the gold.

Last edited:
If you want efficiency, get a console! ~ PC Master Race
You misunderstand me. Your lobotomized toy computers for children and de facto children are holding back whatever potential in terms of performance and complexity that games could have. I wasn't recommending consoles in the slightest, I'm just a realist about the shitty situation their existence has imprinted on the industry.

Last edited:
Oh dear, it's not funny at all. Bring back midrange performance cards at 250 USD...and maybe I will give you another try. Even with those shlt drivers you have.
Same goes for team green, latest drivers castrate CPU performance for 10-20%.
If I go with 4xx drivers instead of 5xx series my CPU benchmarks are the same as before.
So yes fix some things before I will give another try
Inflation is real, you can't expect the midrange to stay in 250 for ever. I bought my gtx 1060 around that price point, almost 6 years ago.

You misunderstand me. Your lobotomized toy computers for children and de facto children are holding back whatever potential in terms of performance and complexity that games could have. I wasn't recommending consoles in the slightest, I'm just a realist about the shitty situation their existence has imprinted on the industry.
I wasn't responding to you. Haha, but I can see how you would have thought that.

I don't think there would be a games industry at all if every developer released Crysis-like games, that very few people would be able to run.

Dang it AMD you don't need to come up with skewed benchmarks that have a ton of asterisks.
Just ask if you can re-use what reviewers have already tested. People are more likely to believe the results. They have already come to the same conclusions although not quite as rose colored.
This just makes AMD look desperate, like Intel with their weird benchmarks. Except Intel needed the deception, AMD does not.

I feel like AMD now that they're making money hired some people that have terrible ideas. Or their share holders are desperate for more unsustainable growth.

Either way they're slowly burning all the goodwill they have slowly been building by simply having good products and not being shady. Now they're just slightly less scummy than Intel and Nvidia.

Instead of spending money on crap like this, if you're making to much of it just give your engineers a nice Xmas bonus instead.

I don't think there would be a games industry at all if every developer released Crysis-like games, that very few people would be able to run.
The fact your mind immediately goes to Crysis as the banner example of a complex game that taps the full potential of a PC only illustrates how badly gaming and gamers have degenerated, and why I feel no guilt about mining wreaking havoc on you.

Yeah we know. Radeon is cheap because it’s snake oil. Their declining, tiny market share speaks volumes. Users buy AMD once and switch to an expensive Nvidia card afterward. I’ve been foolish enough to have been using Radeon for the last 9 years and I won’t buy it next time.

To me it feels like it’s been this way since AMD bought ATI. Because I actually remember ATI managing to make better solutions than Nvidia, back in the days of the 9700pro etc. There was the HD7970 from AMD that was a better buy than Nvidias parts at the time. But that was a decade ago now..

Yeah we know. Radeon is cheap because it’s snake oil. Their declining, tiny market share speaks volumes. Users buy AMD once and switch to an expensive Nvidia card afterward. I’ve been foolish enough to have been using Radeon for the last 9 years and I won’t buy it next time.
I've been an Nvidia customer since the middle 90s and dropped them because they treat me like ****. None of my PCs have their cards anymore. Keep simping.

Theoretical they can be better (maybe) per dollar , but if you want to show your muscles AMD , you better get your software/drivers sorted out .... Nvidia is the way to go for me !

Back