AMD Athlon 64 vs Intel Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the PROS and CONS of each of these processors? I wanna know because I was thinking if it was the wrong decision to make myself a Intel-based comp.

How about throwing Intel's new dual core processor into that comparison.

Now that we have some real changes on the cpu horizon it would be nice to see the techpot elders weighing in with their insights and opinions.

Hulk Angry!!!!!!!!!!

Me Hulk
Me Angry
Me bought P4 3ghz Prescott CPU
Me not happy CPU runs Warm
Me Angry CPU FAN NOISY
ME MAD CPU NOT PERFORMING THAT WELL

Me wish me had stayed with old amd athlon

((Smashing PC!!!))

Seriously since i've seen the prescott i'll prefer a AMD 64
Cheaper , Faster , Cooler and Quiet

well humm the best gamming procrossor right now is a AMD FX-55 (but they not cheap) serious though Amd is real stable and has some things Iintel does not like
3Dnow ,3Dnow professional and 3Dnow enhanced ,eteneded mmx and a few other thigs.. SOME intel chips do not I have a friend that has a Intel and he does not have the features sure he has hyperthreading... AMD been known for a Graphics chip where Intel for multitaksing.. But there other things to consider with each chip it comes down to the motherboard and other parts to make your chip humm .. For example if you choose AMD make sure you pay the extra money for a motherboard with a N-force chipset it is well worth it..

I hope this helps you some

Personally AMD all the way for me and besides if it was not for AMD we would be paying a lot of money for procrossors right now...

I am not an AMD or Intel fanboy. I have always gone whatever gives me the most bang for my buck. Price vs performance is a tough call these days with the price of good hardware being driven down more and more. However, as it stands at this moment today, you're looking at AMD all the way. Why?

* Price

Although the Athlon64 FX and Opteron are very expensive, they are not meant to compete with Intel's standard offering. They are meant to compete with the P4 EE and the Xeon. Both of which are also hideously expensive. In the desktop-level market, you have the Athlon64 and the Pentium 4. A 3400+ / 1MB / 754 is less in cost than a LGA775 3.4ghz P4.

* Performance

Yet, in nearly every benchmark (benchmarks being synthetic aside), the 3400+ comes ahead of the 3.4. This is due to many reasons which are likely to change in the future. Namely, DDR2 has a horrid implementation on the 9x5 platforms. It is more scalable than DDR however, so hopefully in the future this will improve.

The P4 is also an outmoded, outdated, underperforming architecture. A like-clocked Tualatin core P3 defeats a P4. Almost sad, but really in hindsight Intel has realized this and the P4-Ms and the next generation of Pentiums are all / will all be based upon the superior P3 architecture. However, that's the future, this is now.

* Ease of use/Design

I don't know how many of you build your own systems, but I'm sure a lot of you do. In my line of work I may end up building several hundred in a month. After building about 40 systems based on Intel's BTX / LGA775 design, I can tell you right now it it is horrifying. The new socket is awkward to use and extremely breakable. The new heatsink design renders the power cable for fans easily severed. The new method of putting on an Intel heatsink is awkward and can be messed up easily. Video cards get much hotter. The new case fan reference (being controlled by the motherboard) is poor, and the CPU fan as a result is often way too loud (despite Intel's claim of being quiet).

These are all design issues which I'm sure will be addressed in time, but as of right now they make it difficult to be a tech!

Upgradeability

Intel has already stated that we won't be seeing any 4ghz chips. Which means that the P4 has already hit its clock speed roof or will soon. Sure, they are adding EMT64 extensions to their existing chips - But how long until Intel abandons the LGA775 Socket? Intel does not have a good history with sockets. Why do I say this? Let's compare:

Since the introduction of the athlon, we've had the following changes in sockets and memory, Intel as opposed to AMD:

Intel: Slot 1, Socket 370, Socket 370(Tualatin), Socket 423, Socket 478, Socket 775
SDR, Rambus, DDR, DDR2

AMD: Slot A, Socket A, Socket 754, Socket 939
SDR, DDR

The odds of scalability for an AMD system are higher. Isn't one of the points of building a machine yourself being able to upgrade it in the future? Intel is likely to ditch 775, and fairly soon. I would say by this time next year we will see a new socket from Intel.

(I am leaving out server sockets, ala Socket 604)

Ok I got a little long-winded here. I don't want to go into any chip-specific details about the latest offerings from Intel or AMD. For that, there are dozens of benchmark websites out there. I just wanted to weigh in as a techspot "elder", but more as a PC enthusiast as to what the best and easiest way to go is, in my opinion.

If you've already got the system running you are fine. The P4 is still a powerful chip and will run anything A64 will run. It wasn't a mistake, and for a lot people it comes down to preference more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back