AMD AthlonXP 2100+ & 3000+ (MSI KM4M-V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

}{yBr!D^

Ok... right now I have a 2100+ in my system which I increased the FSB from 133MHz to 166MHz (which is now at 266) the Processor has a multiplier of 13x166 which equals 2.166 the same volacity as a 3000+. The 3000+ has double the L2 cache speed which would be faster but they're both clocked the same and it has a higher fsb of 333MHz but I am only allowed to go to 166 and not 200 on the mobo's jumpers... if there a way I can increase the multiplier for both processors?

If not I'm guessing I'll need a new motherboard huh?

Hi Hybrid,

unless it's an AthlonXP-M (mobile version) then the multiplier is locked. depending on the model, some of the XP's multipliers can be unlocked by physically modifying the CPU (closing bridges on the CPU, pins, or socket... google is your friend ;)). otherwise, you can only overclock by raising the FSB. (which it sounds like your motherboard doesn't support, which would mean: yes, you will need a new motherboard if you want to overclock those CPUs.

if you can find one cheap, look for an Abit AN7 or an ASUS A7N8X, they were well known as the best motherboards for overclocking socket-A CPUs. if you can't find one cheap, then I wouldn't bother. IMHO socket-A is just too old now to spend money on especially with the recent price drops on all pre-C2D platforms.

cheers :wave:

Only reason why I want to do something to this machine is because I have it and I've been maxing it out... lol, thus I just up'd the frequency to 166 and now the 2100+ is running as a 2700+ 1.733 > 2.167 which would be the same frequency as a 3000+ but the 2100 has 256K LS Cache as to the 3000+ (333MHz) it has 512K.

I'm going to have to take a look at those motherboards you mentioned.

I've used both of those boards and I would recommend the ABIT AN7 over the ASUS A7N8X.

many people like the ASUS A7N8X, but when I ordered mine, I had received 2 defective boards before getting a good board. the 3rd board worked great but by that time I had lost faith in ASUS. I bought an ABIT AN7 and sold the ASUS A7N8X on eBay. besides, I like the AN7's board layout and color better :)

I always liked socket-A. I still have my AN7 along with an AthlonXP-M 2500+, AthlonXP 2600+, and an Athlon 2400+. I haven't used any of them in years so I'll be putting them up on eBay in the new few weeks just to get rid of them.

your 3000+ is obvoiusly a Barton core, which means the "wire trick" (or conductive ink) will only unlock the lower multipliers, but a 3000+ is already at it't upper limits anyways.

your 2100+ on the other hand could be a Palomino core or a Thoroughbred core. the Palominos could be unlocked using a simple #2 pencil. the Thoroughbreds upper multipliers could be unlocked with the "wire trick" or any other method of closing the bridge on the CPU socket. what core is your 2100+?

Palomino... the multiplier is at 13x now...
but there isn't an option on my bios to mess with the multiplier... I installed CPUCool and it doesn't even have my mainboard listed lol.
Yes the 3000+ is a Barton.

I never bought a Palomino but I always enjoyed reading about people who unlocked them by drawing a line with a #2 pencil. it's too bad your BIOS won't let you take advantage of it. almost all micro-ATX boards (including the MSI KM4M-V) have no overclocking options in the BIOS, so you pretty much need a full sized ATX mobo (like the AN7 ;))

Yea, I was reading about that abit board and well, if I move everything from this machine to that I wont be maxing it out.. I have the RAM clocked at PC2700.. that other board supports more lol 3200... and 3 GB's to my maxed out 2GB lol... plus it would need a faster processor *3200/3400+* instead of the already purchased 3000+ lol... oh well... I think the 512K cache will make a difference over this one.

have you look for a possible bios update?

Abit NF7S have been good to me , extremely stable. overlocked barton 2500+ 2.2Ghz 400FSB.

I don't understand why you would want to spend money maxing out an outdated system, but it's your money, so do what makes you happy. I was under the impression that you simply wanted to overclock the CPU, in which case the AN7/A7N8X would have allowed you to do that.

as far as "maxing out the board"...
  1. RAM:
    • you would most likely not see any difference from 2GB to 3GB.
    • you would not see a significant difference between PC2700 and PC3200.
    • the difference between PC2700 and PC3200 is only 34MHz.
    • you may even be able to overclock the PC2700 sticks to pc3200 speeds.
  2. CPU:
    • a 3000+ will likely hit the same ceiling as a 3200+/3400+.
    • if you're planning to overclock then there's no point in buying a slightly faster version of the same core because the end result will likely be the same.

The bottom line is that all the upgrades in the world will not make that system perform much better than it does right now. a 3000+ with 2GB RAM is not that bad...

I would suggest you just keep using that system until you're ready to upgrade to a much newer platform. now that the C2D's are out, all other processors (both AMD and Intel) prices have dropped dramatically. DDR2 is also cheaper than DDR (DDR1).

whatever you decide... have fun and good luck :wave:

Just wanna max it out to do it lol.. cause I can and I have the options to do so... just wanted to exploit(sp?) the maximum power this machine can dish out.

I will, in the near future build a better and faster machine so I can be up-to-date. :) no worries. Again, I appreciate the info on the other boards which were good for Socket A Athlon XP chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back