AMD Barton 2600 and gigabyte

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my mainboard. When I give FSB on 180 my computer doesn't want to turn up. My motherboard doesn't have a AGP/PCI lock, so I can't OC my computer. My question is can I OC my Barton without AGP/PCI lock??

Thanks

to overclock your barton is to overclock your computer. your question doesn't make sense.

Since your board doesn't have a PCI/AGP lock (I'm guessing it's a VIA chipset??), you can't really overclock at all. you may be able to bump up the FSB a little bit, but it won take much for your PCI/AGP cards to malfunction.

If you want to overclock that processor, you will have to get another mobo with a PCI/AGP lock. If you want to keep your mobo, you will have to get a Mobile Barton which has unlocked multipliers (assuming your mobo has multiplier control, it may not)

I ran into a similar problem with my first socket A system. I had a gigabyte board (i forget which model) with a VIA chipset and an AthlonXP T-bred 2600+. I wanted to get into overlclocking, but my mobo and chip were not too good for it. So i bought an Abit AN7 and a AthlonXP-M 2500+ Barton (mobile XP's have unlocked mulitpliers). I was able to overclock my 1.8GHz barton to 2.4GHz (209x11.5) stable, I probably could have gone further, but I ended up moving onto an Athlon64 system instead

the MSI K7N2 series motherboards are perfect for barton overclocking (assuming your chip is an older edition and isn't locked.)

my motherboard provides for the capability of changing ANYTHING.

my current CPU is a later edition. It is locked. My first CPU was totally overclockable. I played with it too much and burned it up.

Tedster said:
I played with it too much and burned it up.
lol

it was worth it though, don't ya think? :)

2000 series socket A cpus are so cheap on Ebay these days, it's not a big deal to burn one up as long as you had fun doing it :D

sorry, I was assuming that you didn't attempt the "way-too-high" overclock until the CPU was older... my bad :rolleyes:

As long as you leave your voltages at stock levels, then there really is no chance of frying the CPU. Clock it as high as you can go without rasing the voltage, and you'll have nothing to worry about :)

in the end, overclocking really isn't worth it. You strain your components and shorten their life, even without raising voltage. You're better off buying a faster chip.

socket A chips that aren't abused are getting harder to find on ebay.

a 10 year life expectancy will be shortened to 7-8 years.. boo hoo

it would be seriously obsolete long before it actually died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back