AMD confirms a Ryzen CPU refresh with 3D V-Cache is coming in early 2022

jsilva

What just happened? AMD Zen architecture is celebrating its 5th anniversary, and with it, the chipmaker confirmed it will be refreshing the Zen 3 processors in early 2022. These new processors will employ AMD's new 3D chiplet technology, which will increase the amount of V-Cache on the chip, delivering a performance uplift of 15 percent over the current generation.

In a friendly conversation between John Taylor, AMD's CMO, and Robert Hallock, director of technical marketing, the two confirmed the Ryzen 5000 series refresh, which will be compatible with AM4 motherboards. Moreover, they also mentioned a new laptop series is coming in early 2022, featuring a "Power Management" framework capable of balancing the CPU load and power consumption to maximize power efficiency.

The naming of the new CPU series hasn't been confirmed. However, considering the "generational leap" they bring and the difference between the Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series (Zen to Zen+), they will most likely be the Ryzen 6000.

During the conversation, Robert Hallock also confirmed we will see Ryzen processors moving to a new platform in late 2022. Robert added the new platform will support PCIe 5.0, DDR5 memory and compatibility with existing AM4 CPU coolers.

Also read: AMD vs. Intel: The Evolution of CPU Gaming Performance

The first time AMD mentioned its new 3D chiplet technology was in June of this year, where it explained that adding layers of cache (3D V-Cache) on top of the compute chiplets would result in a significant performance increase.

To prove its claims, AMD compared a standard Ryzen 9 5900X's performance with that of Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 192MB of 3D V-Cache, both clocked at 4.0GHz. Here, you could see gaming performance improving by as much as 25 percent, depending on the title.

Besides the June announcement of the 3D V-Cache, AMD talked more about it during HotChips, giving us a deeper look at the technology and showing how it will be applied in future designs.

Permalink to story.

It looks like intel is poised to take the gaming lead for at least 3 months with Alder Lake.

I was hoping for a Zen 3D launch in December (even a paper launch) to counter intel ASAP and not let them breathe, but it's not gonna happen.

Oh well... 😞

Let's hope this bodes better for performance, and not like DDR5 sham.

Nooo just upgraded 2-3 weeks ago to 5900x
At this point I really just need 3090 to pickup slack from 1080ti (6K RAW doesn't play too nice).
I'm in the same boat, got my 5900X 3 month ago. I could just say - "suffer, dude!" but the new tech is realistically at least one year away anyhow.

At this point I really just need 3090 to pickup slack from 1080ti (6K RAW doesn't play too nice).
Only real reason to wait to buy new hardware is to get a discount on last Gen hardware. The performance crown is only really worn for a few months. Unless you absolutely need the performance or want bragging rights it really isn't worth paying for. In the 25 years I've been in this hobby, I've only bought top of the line hardware twice. I currently have an 1800x that I got used when the 3000 series came out and I bought a 1070ti as a used mining card right after the first crypto crash.

It's nice that some late AM4 boards might get Zen3+ upgrade options with this new 3d V-cache thingie, not sure how many of them but I'm guessing at least X570 and B550?

Looks like AMD has been reading Techspot’s article about how all of Intel’s gaming gains in the last few generations are from adding more L3 cache

“To prove its claims, AMD compared a standard Ryzen 9 5900X's performance with that of Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 192MB of 3D V-Cache, both clocked at 4.0GHz. Here, you could see gaming performance improving by as much as 25 percent, depending on the title.”

Only real reason to wait to buy new hardware is to get a discount on last Gen hardware. The performance crown is only really worn for a few months. Unless you absolutely need the performance or want bragging rights it really isn't worth paying for. In the 25 years I've been in this hobby, I've only bought top of the line hardware twice. I currently have an 1800x that I got used when the 3000 series came out and I bought a 1070ti as a used mining card right after the first crypto crash.

Happily running my 2700x I got very cheap. Will upgrade to a 5800x or 5900x (standard) once they are available for a good EOL / last gen price.

To make the upgrade really worth while would mean also getting a better GPU and a new primary monitor. Am in no rush to do that - a new console will (hopefully) come first.

Interesting that the new Ryzen platform will support AM4 Coolers. Alder Lake, however, will require new coolers. https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel...re-a-new-motherboard-cooler-power-supply-ram/

Speaking of Alder Lake, I wonder how the refresh will compare against it.
I'm waiting to buy new hardware because I do not need it at this point. I am not sure when I will buy.

It looks like intel is poised to take the gaming lead for at least 3 months with Alder Lake.

What makes you think that Zen3d would surpass Alder Lake ?? Because AMD claims that in the slides ???

“To prove its claims, AMD compared a standard Ryzen 9 5900X's performance .........

LOL.... No AMD claims can only be proved when tested by independent and unbiased reviews that does not cherrpick or cheat

AMD slides claimed that ultra quality FSR on Godfall boost fps by 59% on 4K resolution..... when using 6800XT
https://images.hothardware.com/cont...ent/small_super-resolution-single-godfall.jpg

Yet none of the independent review got same boost when they tested FSR on 6800XT !!

Techspot review showed only 44% boost when using 4K ultra quality FSR with 6800XT (which is lower than 59% claimed by AMD)
https://www.techspot.com/review/2277-amd-fsr-analysis-benchmark/

Also, why AMD pick games like Dota, Fornite, League of lefends ... to show 3dcache improvements ??? SOund very fishy when they don't pick AAA games

It's nice that some late AM4 boards might get Zen3+ upgrade options with this new 3d V-cache thingie, not sure how many of them but I'm guessing at least X570 and B550?
I'm pretty sure B450s and up will support them too. I have the MAX version from MSI and they will support it, even if it comes later.
What makes you think that Zen3d would surpass Alder Lake ?? Because AMD claims that in the slides ???

LOL.... No AMD claims can only be proved when tested by independent and unbiased reviews that does not cherrpick or cheat

AMD slides claimed that ultra quality FSR on Godfall boost fps by 59% on 4K resolution..... when using 6800XT
https://images.hothardware.com/cont...ent/small_super-resolution-single-godfall.jpg

Yet none of the independent review got same boost when they tested FSR on 6800XT !!

Techspot review showed only 44% boost when using 4K ultra quality FSR with 6800XT (which is lower than 59% claimed by AMD)
https://www.techspot.com/review/2277-amd-fsr-analysis-benchmark/

Also, why AMD pick games like Dota, Fornite, League of lefends ... to show 3dcache improvements ??? SOund very fishy when they don't pick AAA games
I'm not even gonna bother or waste my time with you. Blocked and ignored.

Finally some good news for x570 users like me. Let's see the uplift and the price would be worth upgrading and staying there for next 5 to 7 years

Happily running my 2700x I got very cheap. Will upgrade to a 5800x or 5900x (standard) once they are available for a good EOL / last gen price.

To make the upgrade really worth while would mean also getting a better GPU and a new primary monitor. Am in no rush to do that - a new console will (hopefully) come first.
It really depends on your hardware and use case. For a last genGPU (mid range and above) the 2700X is a horrid option, the upgrade to the 5600X was much needed for me (had an 2700)

It really depends on your hardware and use case. For a last genGPU (mid range and above) the 2700X is a horrid option, the upgrade to the 5600X was much needed for me (had an 2700)
It‘s running on a system with a 5500XT and dual 60hz 1080p monitors that is used for heavy multitasking. Considering it cost €150 new (including taxes and shipping) at the time it was in fact an excellent option due to the low EOL price. Am using the boxed cooler, as well.

The alternative for the same price would have been a 4C4T i3 at best - might even have been a 2C4T Pentium - and that‘s excluding the free game. So for the money it was a good purchase.

15% is not much but it's just a refresh. I had my Ryzen 5 3600 die recently so I replaced it with a 5600X and in theory the performance is better but I didn't notice much. That makes me question how fast of a CPU do most people really need, even for gaming, GPU is the deciding factor and one should not spend much for a CPU for non-work related things.

Too bad the 15% increase still won't push the AMD 5000 series over the Intel Pentium Silver, as found by Tichspot earlier today right before publishing and right after the phone call.

I'm pretty sure B450s and up will support them too. I have the MAX version from MSI and they will support it, even if it comes later.
It's not a guarantee. Remember that AMD had to be beaten into submission to release AGESA for the 5000 series to the 400 series chipsets in the first place, because to AMD "4 years of support" actually means 2 years. 300 series users got left out to the wolves even though some beta BIOSes have shown the 300 series can support the 5000 series CPUs properly.

It wouldnt surprise me if they said "x570s only" or "500 series chipsets only" for zen 3+ and we have to go through the outrage machine again to get AMD to properly support their boards.

Why is this a disappointment?

If Intel's Alder Lake is anything liker the Zen 3 launch of last November, you won''t be able t find them, for 6 months...DDR5 kits should expect similar issues with availability! At least this time, AMD will have enough competition that the 3d cache models should have plenty of stock!

And yes, it is kinda embarrassing that Intel is only gong to beat-out Zen 3 by pushing out DDR5 before it's "ready for the mainstream pricing" - all just to beat a year-old processor!

Last edited:
It's not a guarantee. Remember that AMD had to be beaten into submission to release AGESA for the 5000 series to the 400 series chipsets in the first place, because to AMD "4 years of support" actually means 2 years. 300 series users got left out to the wolves even though some beta BIOSes have shown the 300 series can support the 5000 series CPUs properly.

It wouldnt surprise me if they said "x570s only" or "500 series chipsets only" for zen 3+ and we have to go through the outrage machine again to get AMD to properly support their boards.
I'll take even a beta BIOS version/unofficial, if that's the case.

I got a lot to look forward to in the next five years. It could almost be a 💯+ uplift (likely more) in overall performance by the time I do a complete upgrade.

I feel the pain lol just recently got my 5900X rig all setup with my Dark Hero board and now this drops lolz. Ooh well, was well worth it, as I was also upgrading from an FX8370 on an Asrock 990FX Extreme4 board, both still running lol.

Back