AMD could launch a 'mid-range' RDNA 4 GPU that's faster than the Radeon RX 7900 XT

DragonSlayer101

Staff
Rumor mill: AMD has long been believed to be working on its next-gen graphics cards based on the RDNA 4 microarchitecture, and a new leak now suggests that they could shake up the GPU market for good. As per the report, the company is planning to introduce a 'mid-range' RDNA 4 graphics card with more grunt than the Radeon RX 7900 XT.

While next-gen hardware offering better performance than its predecessors is not exactly news, what makes the report stand out is the card's supposed price-tag. According to sources cited by popular YouTube channel Moore's Law Is Dead (MLID), AMD is planning to market the card as a mid-range offering that could be priced between $400 and $600.

While the card is rumored to be faster than the RX 7900 XT, it might not be good enough to beat Nvidia's upcoming RTX 4080 Super, which is expected to be a high-end monster with 20GB of GDDR6X VRAM. Even if that assertion turns out to be accurate, a sub-$600 card with a performance anywhere close to that of the (presumably) much more expensive 4080 Super will likely make it an immediate winner.

The video doesn't say anything about a possible release date for the card, but RDNA 4 GPUs are expected to be announced next year, so it's fair to assume that it will also debut sometime in 2024. For those wondering, the RTX 4000 Super cards are expected to debut in early 2024, possibly at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, so expect an intense battle between Team Green and Team Red with their next-gen lineups next year.

It is worth noting that this is the first time we're hearing about the aforementioned RDNA 4 card, so take the news with a pinch of salt until it is confirmed by AMD or at least corroborated by other sources. That said, a graphics card with the performance of the RX 7900 XT at the price of the 7800 XT sounds an enticing prospect, so expect it to be quite popular if the report turns out to be accurate.

Permalink to story.

Didn't they claim the current lineup concludes the 7000 series. One thing that AMD needs is to work on their messaging/marketing to the public better. Calling it an RX 8770 like they did with the (4770) in the past might work. The 4770 was also a winner gpu at that time.

Current rumor mill is also saying no high end RDNA4. AMD apparently went all in on the chiplet approach (true chiplets, not the RDNA GCD/MCD split) and that it didn't pan out due to time to market issues.

So everything above their mainstream segment got axed and they're now trying to pull RDNA5 forward.

Who knows if any of this is true or it's all hogwash but I guess we'll find out early next year.

so expect an intense battle between Team Green and Team Red with their next-gen lineups next year.

I'm sure MLID and their cronies project another intense battle but historical trends say RDNA4 may well be met by a resounding 'meh'.

Didn't they claim the current lineup concludes the 7000 series. One thing that AMD needs is to work on their messaging/marketing to the public better. Calling it an RX 8770 like they did with the (4770) in the past might work. The 4770 was also a winner gpu at that time.
No, they said there will be no new RDNA 3 chips (I.e. Navi 31, Navi 32, Navi 33), not that there couldn't be new SKUs made using those chips. Particularly relevant because there's still a gulf between the $250 RX 7600 and the $450 RX 7700 XT, where you can easily fit at least one new model in between.

Already 7900XTX can reach 4090 level in some benchmark after massive overclocking (600Watt+), so once again the problem with Readon division is power efficiency and MARKETING (one of the worst in the world, no I am exaggerating)

Current rumor mill is also saying no high end RDNA4. AMD apparently went all in on the chiplet approach (true chiplets, not the RDNA GCD/MCD split) and that it didn't pan out due to time to market issues.

So everything above their mainstream segment got axed and they're now trying to pull RDNA5 forward.

Who knows if any of this is true or it's all hogwash but I guess we'll find out early next year.
Correct^

Dr Lisa Su has shown the "tick-tock" nature of RDNA and how the Professional Market (EPYC/CDNA) can utilize AMD's high-end technical upgrades, then a years later.. it trickles down to the mainstream Pro and Gaming Chips, splicing in newer IP when they are able.

RDNA4:
is a single die use of RDNA architecture. It will leverage AMD's patents and will be the BASE consumer dGPU chip for gaming. It is a min/max design and @ $650'ish would set the tone for the PC gaming industry.

RDNA5:
will utilize EPYC's Infinity Fabric and fill the Enthusiasts space with true actual high-end designer dGPU tailored to the Gamer, by use of chiplets. (I expect some of these designs to be as high as $2k)

RDNA4 cards are expected to make a plentiful and surprise release in early spring and RDNA5 ultra-enthusiast cards are said to be released 4-5 months after. So we will see how it all plays out.

There's never too many mid-range cards, and that's where AMD gets my attention. High-end is Nvidia territory and if AMD wants to compete there they have to make something at least as fast as RTX 4090 cause nobody buying high-end wants a card that is "almost as fast".

There's never too many mid-range cards, and that's where AMD gets my attention. High-end is Nvidia territory and if AMD wants to compete there they have to make something at least as fast as RTX 4090 cause nobody buying high-end wants a card that is "almost as fast".
You have to look at the reason people buy a new GPU..! It is to get more frames. And AMD's XTX provides more frames than Ada Lovelace can in many of the most important FPS games out there.

Nobody is really buying a $1,600 RTX4090 to play Spiderman, or Cyberpunk. They are paying that much so they can stay competitive with their friends and clanmates. So if the XTX (@$950) is getting near-same, or even better frames than the + $700 more expensive one... why bother, when you know CES is coming and new cards are on their way.

Call of Duty had ovr a $billion in pre-sales and the XT & XTX dominate the frames in that game.

If you need cuda for work, then the 4090 is an easy buy, instead of paying $3,200 on a Pro card.

Already 7900XTX can reach 4090 level in some benchmark after massive overclocking (600Watt+), so once again the problem with Readon division is power efficiency and MARKETING (one of the worst in the world, no I am exaggerating)
No it cant. The 7900xtx isnt getting 40% overclocks. No tech site has seen anything like this.
You have to look at the reason people buy a new GPU..! It is to get more frames. And AMD's XTX provides more frames than Ada Lovelace can in many of the most important FPS games out there.

Nobody is really buying a $1,600 RTX4090 to play Spiderman, or Cyberpunk. They are paying that much so they can stay competitive with their friends and clanmates. So if the XTX (@$950) is getting near-same, or even better frames than the + $700 more expensive one... why bother, when you know CES is coming and new cards are on their way.

Call of Duty had ovr a $billion in pre-sales and the XT & XTX dominate the frames in that game.

If you need cuda for work, then the 4090 is an easy buy, instead of paying $3,200 on a Pro card.
There is no universe that the 7900xtx is beating a 4090, not in any realistic scenario anyway. And that's before we get to the RT argument.

No it cant. The 7900xtx isnt getting 40% overclocks. No tech site has seen anything like this.
There is no universe that the 7900xtx is beating a 4090, not in any realistic scenario anyway. And that's before we get to the RT argument.

My friend, either you are woefully blind, or just upset with reality, that you are cheerleading a thought, instead of dealing with reality. Yes, the XTX beats the 4090 in many games (most of which frames matter, ie COD)... sorry if these facts offends your bias.

Secondly, the XTX doesn't need OC tricks to beat the 4090, here is a simple Starfield review of modern cards. I can't see too many people spending an added +$700 for a 4090, do you?

Ultra-1080p-p.webp

Last edited:

Of course both of this are not realistic but they are good indication of bad power efficiency as well as performance possibility.

If the 7900XTX is faster than the 4090 like you claim, why does no tech reviewers use it for their CPU benchmarks?

If it’s THAT good, why isn’t it the card people go to when they’re asked “what’s the best GPU at the moment”.

If the 7900XTX is faster than the 4090, why isn’t the top card in the reviews of either card?

If the 7900XTX is faster than the 4090 like you claim, why does no tech reviewers use it for their CPU benchmarks?

If it’s THAT good, why isn’t it the card people go to when they’re asked “what’s the best GPU at the moment”.

If the 7900XTX is faster than the 4090, why isn’t the top card in the reviews of either card?

They are and do...

What is insane, is that YOU do not know this and feign ignorance of these well-known facts... (XTX beating 4090 in many games) and you are claiming it's my claim... and not those of the some 50 reviewer sites whom also show the same thing (XTX beating 4090 in many games).

Secondly, the XTX doesn't have to beat the 4090 to be considered a winner, when it also costs $700 less. What you are clearly missing, is that the 4080 is NOWHERE in the discussion and that too.. cost more than the XTX. Even the XT beats the 4080 that nVidia tries to fall back on low-teir gimmicks to promote their outdated Ada Lovelace non-gaming architecture.

By simple solution the XTX is thee wisest choice, because the 4080 will NEVER beat a 4090 in any game, but the XTX beats both... in many games.

And now AMD is coming with a single die advanced rdna4 node, with 7900Xt's performance... for $650, next spring. If so (what we are speculating) is that new mid-range chip should make a laughing stock of the RTX4080 selling for $1,100.

They are and do...

What is insane, is that YOU do not know this and feign ignorance of these well-known facts... (XTX beating 4090 in many games) and you are claiming it's my claim... and not those of the some 50 reviewer sites whom also show the same thing (XTX beating 4090 in many games).
Right, so we’re going to ignore that for every game the 7900XTX “beats” (or should probably be better known as “matches”) the 4090, the 4090 beats it in 5 other games?

I mean, I don’t know why you’d hang your argument out on cherry picking a few games it excels in, if you do that the other way round (cherry pick games the 4090 is good in) it absolutely wipes the floor.

I’ll just leave these here in-case some poor randomer comes along reading these comments and for a moment believes all your rubbish:
Techspot 7900XTX Review
Techspot 4090 Review

Right, so we’re going to ignore that for every game the 7900XTX “beats” (or should probably be better known as “matches”) the 4090, the 4090 beats it in 5 other games?

I mean, I don’t know why you’d hang your argument out on cherry picking a few games it excels in, if you do that the other way round (cherry pick games the 4090 is good in) it absolutely wipes the floor.

I’ll just leave these here in-case some poor randomer comes along reading these comments and for a moment believes all your rubbish:
Techspot 7900XTX Review
Techspot 4090 Review

I what games does the 4090 absolutely destroy the XTX..?

Again, the people running out to buy $1,700 GPU want frames... because they compete and if they can get more frames in Call of Duty with Radeon... for $700 less, they are going to do it.

Not sure your problem, but I don't know too many people playing competitive Cyberpunk...

It's not unusual,

Once a GPU is released the team is already onto the next one. tape-outs being done, performance expectations and such. I just hate to see that since the 7X00 series things like Morepowertools are taken out, all your left with is the 15% power slider AMD gives you.

6x00 series have shown huge gains in increasing the power limit beyond to what AMD brings.

Far as I remember, Navi 33 was rumoured to beat a Radeon 6800. And nobody expected the 7900 XT to be priced at $900.

So really, I don't expect anything and will wait and see. What I expect is that AMD will match the price to NVIDIA minus a little. That's what usually happens.

But I'm specifically talking about high end GPU buyers. A lot of them don't care about the price (I think they're *****s) but that's just how it is. And RTX 4090 does give more frames than anything, especially with DLSS and ray tracing.

But I'm specifically talking about high end GPU buyers. A lot of them don't care about the price (I think they're *****s) but that's just how it is. And RTX 4090 does give more frames than anything, especially with DLSS and ray tracing.

Weird, so I am (talking about high-end GPU buyers).

People like me, want frames... they don't care 1 bit about gimmicks. That is why most Gamers are choosing the XTX because the only people buying the 4090 are cuda-*****s who need cuda for work and don't want to spend $3,200 on a Pro card. And they would never buy a 4080, because it doesn't have as much gaming performance as AMD's XTX. So it's either 4090 or bust...

And once again, Gamers don't buy spend $1,700 to use gimmicks (meant for lesser cards). They buy the 4090 so they don't have to use dlss or upscaling gimmicktry. Otherwise just buy a 4070 and turn all the gimmicks up and no need for a 4090, right..?

Weird, so I am (talking about high-end GPU buyers).

People like me, want frames... they don't care 1 bit about gimmicks. That is why most Gamers are choosing the XTX because the only people buying the 4090 are cuda-*****s who need cuda for work and don't want to spend $3,200 on a Pro card. And they would never buy a 4080, because it doesn't have as much gaming performance as AMD's XTX. So it's either 4090 or bust...

And once again, Gamers don't buy spend $1,700 to use gimmicks (meant for lesser cards). They buy the 4090 so they don't have to use dlss or upscaling gimmicktry. Otherwise just buy a 4070 and turn all the gimmicks up and no need for a 4090, right..?
I could afford a 4090 Evangelion Edition from ASUS, but I bought an XTX also. There is no way I am paying double for 15% more performance at 2160p from my AIB XTX.

Back