AMD FSR 2.0 goes open source on one-year anniversary

Daniel Sims

Staff
TL;DR: To mark its first anniversary, AMD has released FSR 2.0 to all developers wanting to use the company's image upscaling technology. This could greatly expand the number of games that support it, in contrast with Nvidia's relatively exclusive but more widespread supported competitor, DLSS.

AMD announced the open-source release of FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 this week. Developers can now download it from GPUOpen and start working to incorporate it into current and upcoming games. AMD also plans to release Unreal Engine 4 and 5 plug-ins for FSR soon to help the many developers using those engines. Additionally, Xbox developers have access to FSR 2.0 now, too.

Since its launch in March (FSR 1.0 was released last June), FSR 2.0 has used temporal upscaling to improve image quality while conserving horsepower, making costly features like ray tracing and 4K output resolution attainable for more graphics cards. Notable games currently supporting it include God of War, Deathloop, and Farming Simulator 22. Upcoming games like Forspoken and The Callisto Protocol will include FSR 2.0 at launch.

Tests show that Nvidia's machine learning-powered DLSS is somewhat more effective than FSR, especially at lower resolutions, but it's not open source and only supports the last couple of GeForce RTX generations. Meanwhile, FSR supports older Nvidia hardware in addition to AMD cards.

Even if DLSS requires Nvidia's proprietary tensor cores, some have begged (or even threatened) the company to make the solution open source. Hackers accessed some Nvidia sensitive data and leaked the DLSS source code last March.

Intel is also preparing to compete with AMD and Nvidia with its machine learning upscaler called XeSS. That should help image quality and performance in games like Death Stranding, Ghostwire: Tokyo, and Hitman III whenever Intel's Arc Alchemist graphics cards become widely available.

Permalink to story.

Interesting it not on PS5 although I imagine this is for architectural reasons rather than bias (as I have seen said).

Would like to know the details either way

cool!!
I'm going straight to dive into github.
I will see what I can extract and adapt for some extra ideas.
maybe improve some work that I was doing a few years ago.

fd7b83f187f13fa51bee477878af4bd407bde08e14ff639c12250a4d8482af79.gif
fd7b83f187f13fa51bee477878af4bd407bde08e14ff639c12250a4d8482af79.gif

I already see the nvdrones saying “But mAh dlss is bettah!”

All companies are bad, but some are still pro-consumers, unlike nvidia, intel and apple.

Before anyone asks: No, this cannot be implemented on PS3 or Switch emulators or reshade now that is opensource.

Perhaps someone crazy enough can make a DLSS to FSR 2.0 wrapper, seeing how the DLSS source code was leaked months ago.

"DLSS is somewhat more effective than FSR" Come on now. It's hands down better the FSR 2.0 in practically all metrics.

AMD is using FSR as an effective marketing tool to keep its GPU prices high and claim feature parity. Yes, FSR 2.0 a good upscaler, but it provides no objective reason to favour AMD GPUs. AMD can mention it in their presentations, so they don't look like they are years behind Nvidia, but that's about it.

I prefer AMD as a company. But make no mistake, they act the way they do because they are the underdog. They simply can't bring out superior proprietary features, because they lack the market share, and resources to do so. Open sourcing is practically their only viable option.

I never thought upscaling would be a popular thing. As if I didn't have enough glitches introduced by all the shader based AA solutions and dozens of post process filters... And I'm not even talking about RT noise yet.

Back