AMD GPU users reportedly can't see the sun on any of Starfield's planets

Jimmy2x

Staff
Facepalm: Starfield had a lot of expectations to live up to. From the expansive universe to interactive environmental elements, the game was designed to completely immerse players in an endless intergalactic landscape. Given Bethesda's attention to even the smallest details, one would think something as big as a huge ball of fire illuminating the sky of any planet wouldn't be overlooked. But according to increasingly frequent reports, many users are missing one of the biggest features of any planet – the sun.

Reports of unrendered stars on the daylight side of Starfield's planets began popping up across several Reddit posts last week. According to a post by Reddit user Guts2021, some AMD users were noticing that no matter what planet they were on, daylight was visible but there was no sun or host star rendered to radiate it.

Additional posts began to surface on r/Starfield confirming the same issue for others: Radeon 6000 and 7000 series users were not seeing entire stars and suns on the daylight side of any planets, while Nvidia users in the same locations observed normally rendered stars, light, and other atmospheric effects.

According to a post by Redditor Yoraxx, the skybox screenshot below was rendered on a system running a 7900XTX. In the shot, light can be seen on the planet's surface, and in the sky, but there's no visible source.

Another screenshot provides the same skybox view, said to be running on the same system, but this time rendered using a Nvidia 3070 Ti. Hard to miss the difference.

I'm currently running a Radeon 7900XTX on the latest AMD drivers, and as of Sunday, September 10th I'm encountering the same issue. Light, clouds, but no sun or visible light source.

It's not exactly a game-breaking issue, but it is very hard not to see once you've noticed it. And for anyone who bases their experience on getting lost in a game's environment, the lack of such a prominent celestial figure in a space-based odyssey can be quite a low point in their experience.

It's not clear if the issue rests on AMD or Bethesda's shoulders, but one thing is for sure: if a game's attention to detail lets a player correct which way a toilet paper roll is oriented, then it's not too much to ask for a planet's sun to hang in its sky.

P.S. – The proper orientation for a toilet paper roll is with the paper rolling over the top. You're welcome.

Image credit: Yoraxx

Permalink to story.

Well , AMD users can be pleased as being luckier than Intel users . lol . Dont get me wrong , I love AMD and I am not biased .I am sure this bug will be soon cleared .

Last edited:
Actually, it's just that with AMD cards the RT is so slow that the light from the sun hasn't reached the surface yet.

Also, it is Bethesda's answer to the poor performance on Nvidia cards, "hey you get performance or a sun, not both" ~ Bethesda spokesman, probably

Actually, it's just that with AMD cards the RT is so slow that the light from the sun hasn't reached the surface yet.

Also, it is Bethesda's answer to the poor performance on Nvidia cards, "hey you get performance or a sun, not both" ~ Bethesda spokesman, probably
good one.

I guess it just due to optimization of the graphics . As jpeg - skipping something .

It cracks me up that in all the articles & videos published the past couple weeks comparing AMD & Nvidia performance, I don't think any noticed the missing sun on the AMD side. (Or maybe this is a new bug in a recent driver or game update.)

I'll be honest, I've been playing since day one and when I ran across that Reddit post I did a double take. I jumped right in, checked, and sure enough--no sun. Only thing more shocking than it missing was the fact that I (like others, apparently) didn't realize something that significant was missing. On the surface objects, etc.--light looks and reflects normally. It just comes from...nowhere.

I guess it's something that should be so obvious that I never thought to check until someone pointed it out.

I've got an RMA 4090 on the way back, if it comes before this gets resolved I'll swap it out and look at it back to back from my end.

It cracks me up that in all the articles & videos published the past couple weeks comparing AMD & Nvidia performance, I don't think any noticed the missing sun on the AMD side. (Or maybe this is a new bug in a recent driver or game update.)
Game didnt get any updates since release (including preorder), there was day 0 patch, but its unofficial, so it came with preload

Another proprietary nVidia technology?
Of course, you need Nvidia RTX Extreme Sun Path Enhanced CircleTracing 3.0. Otherwise known as also known as RESPECT 3.0 for this feature. AMD is working on a non-proprietary version that doesn't use tensor and RT cores and can work on Nvidia 280m GPUs and up, but its rumored the quality isn't quite the same.

Asked about AMD making a non-proprietary version, Nvidia spokesman stated, "RESPECT, find out what it means to me". The presser broke into some kind of dance session and Nvidia avoided answering the question.

Last edited:
Right from DMX's "No Sunshine" lyrics... :)

Ain't no sunshine when it's on
Only darkness every day
Ain't no sunshine when it's on, 'cause when it's on
You *iggas know to be gone, every time, 'cause we don't play

Don't look directly at the sun, kids, no matter what kind of graphics card you have
Exactly! AMD cards actually protect your eyes, by installing a sun filter in yer helmet, albeit completely opaque. Either that, or their utmost dedication for second place is prevailing at every turn.

Hmmmm....weird been playing this on an AMD card and have seen the sun out during daytime every time it was supposed to be in the sky. Either the guy's system is not configured properly, or they are just trying to make some headlines with fake news. Of course, the internet eats this type of crap up like breakfast cereal. I have probably 20 -30 hours in the game so far and have been to many places and if it is day out the sun is there and spreading light as it shoould be doing.

Hmmmm....weird been playing this on an AMD card and have seen the sun out during daytime every time it was supposed to be in the sky. Either the guy's system is not configured properly, or they are just trying to make some headlines with fake news. Of course, the internet eats this type of crap up like breakfast cereal. I have probably 20 -30 hours in the game so far and have been to many places and if it is day out the sun is there and spreading light as it shoould be doing.
Need pics of this elusive AMD sun.

Back