AMD is chipping away at Intel's CPU market share

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Intel still commands a firm lead in terms of overall CPU market share but efforts from AMD with its Ryzen family have certainly narrowed the gap in recent years. And with only a couple of days to go until the launch of Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, AMD is poised to gain additional ground during the holiday quarter and beyond.

AMD last week reported record revenue of $2.80 billion, an impressive 56 percent increase compared to the same period a year earlier. The financials were anchored by confirmation that AMD was acquiring field-programmable gate array (FPGA) maker Xilinx in a deal valued at $35 billion.

With such a busy week, you’d be forgiven for overlooking the ground AMD has covered in the desktop segment in a relatively short amount of time.

According to distribution statistics from Statista, AMD’s processor market share hit 37.3 percent in the third quarter. That’s the highest it’s been since the beginning of the survey period, which started in 2012. At 62.6 percent, Intel’s market share is the lowest it has been during the same period.

Steam’s hardware and software survey, meanwhile, reveals that 25.79 percent of Windows gamers were running a CPU from AMD in October compared to 74.21 percent who were using a chip from rival Intel. Over the trailing five months (since June), Steam data reveals that the pendulum has ever so slightly been swinging in favor of AMD in this category.

Data from benchmarking app PassMark, meanwhile, more closely mirrors what Statista reported. In Q1 2020 (the most updated figures), AMD’s total CPU market share checked in at 36.3 percent compared to Intel’s 63.7 percent share.

Masthead credit: Petr Svoboda

Permalink to story.

Good competition is like a pendulum .... swinging back and forth with the loser always improving to take the winner spot the next cycle. It would be even better for the consumer if there were a 3rd or 4th major contender, but as it is we all still win.

Im happy in a way. I never like the way Intel, kept us all on quad cores and if you wanted 6 you better remortgage your house. Also they way they kept changing the CPU sockets on each generation was annoying, for these reason im happy for intel to get buried (for now)

I like that graph, a lot. AMD deserves every bit of that increase in their market share, and I can only hope that the trend will continue to at least till equilibrium, or even to dominance (that would be somethig, wouldn't it? :) ).

With the current momentum, I am optimistic (for AMD), but (as much I hate some of Intel's tactics) I wouldn't just write off Intel yet...they have a huge pile of cash, decades of industrial experience, and now a strong motivation to get up from their a**es...so I wouldn't be exactly surprised that if, say, in 2 generations' time they came back with something potent. We will see, but till then, march on AMD :)

I still remember my last CPU from AMD - Athlon64, which caught fire after working for about 1 year. I never ever had an operational CPU catch fire before or after that. It gave up a very toxic smell, and died off. That's when myself and AMD parted ways.

It's been close to 20 years since I've put AMD/ATI processors and GPU's in my home-built rigs. But I'm ready to make the switch back if the buzz on the Big Navi and Ryzen 5000 components is accurate.

We'll know by the end of December after 3rd-party tech sites get their hands on them and gives us the unfiltered benchmarks.

I still remember my last CPU from AMD - Athlon64, which caught fire after working for about 1 year. I never ever had an operational CPU catch fire before or after that. It gave up a very toxic smell, and died off. That's when myself and AMD parted ways.

That's a very bizarre story. I think when such a rare thing happens there may be more to the story than meets the eye. I generally bounce back and forth between Intel and AMD based upon the best bang for the buck at the moment. So, my last 2 purchases have been from team Red.

While I want to see Intel suffer a lot of pain, I do hope they can offer good competition again in a few years. We need them to keep AMD from getting too arrogant. Already we are seeing AMD raising prices, nothing dramatic, but if Intel keeps failing to deliver and is stuck on 14nm AMD will feel pretty cocky and continue to raise prices.

Built my first AMD system a couple of days ago with a place holder 3600X CPU until the 5000 series comes out. I did it because it appears that, for now, AMD has the best product for the money I am willing to spend.

But, it would have been nice if they didn't jack up the price by $50 considering they are probably saving $20 by not putting coolers in the box for the 5800X and up. Still, if I thought the price was outrageous I wouldn't be buying one, but it just emphasizes that they are a company in business to make money for their shareholders, and not anyone's friend.

Given how poorly Intel is doing right now that graph isn't that impressive for AMD IMO. I'm not sure raising Zen 3 prices was the right move for them. All they could be doing is opening the door for people to 2nd guess an AMD purchase.

AMD had better hope their new processors are worth the money.

Given how poorly Intel is doing right now that graph isn't that impressive for AMD IMO. I'm not sure raising Zen 3 prices was the right move for them. All they could be doing is opening the door for people to 2nd guess an AMD purchase.

AMD had better hope their new processors are worth the money.

Given how they were on the verge of bankruptcy not to mentioned being a much smaller as company and far behind in performance since the Core 2 Duo era. It's both impressive and amazing how much AMD have managed to turned things around whether you like it or not.

If it wasn't for them Intel would still be only offering mainly quad cores while charging 6+ cores an arm and a leg to the mainstream market.

AMD's new processor are already worth the money. There are people who use their PC to do more than just gaming.

Given how they were on the verge of bankruptcy not to mentioned being a much smaller as company and far behind in performance since the Core 2 Duo era. It's both impressive and amazing how much AMD have managed to turned things around whether you like it or not.

If it wasn't for them Intel would still be only offering mainly quad cores while charging 6+ cores an arm and a leg to the mainstream market.

AMD's new processor are already worth the money. There are people who use their PC to do more than just gaming.

I was merely commenting on the marketshare, nothing else.

No need to pull out the AMD defense squad.

I'm worried, that somehow, Intel will use Its standard monopolistic practises They used in 2000s, to f*ck up AMD again.
Not going to happen The WinTel PC was still 85% of the global market place in the 2000's and there were no tablets or smart phones. WinTel is no longer a power duo. Microsoft is not tied to Intel and Intel has nothing to leverage on Microsoft.

The x86 PC has been in decline for years but has seen worthwhile growth in the past two years, but it's no longer the sole consumer/business model. With that said, AMD still has room to grow and while Intel has been dealing with contraction and has made bad acquisitions.

I'm worried, that somehow, Intel will use Its standard monopolistic practises They used in 2000s, to f*ck up AMD again.
I don't think the two eras are comparable despite it being the same two contestants. The Athlons were great, but their performance per dollar advantage was often clinging on to extremely enthusiast-minded solutions, like pencil-line-overclocking and Via chipsets so unstable the PC would tip over if you coughed. The Ryzen era feels a lot more thorough and it looks like AMD has set up a long term plan a lot better this time around. Plus, developers are embracing the core overdose we're getting now. The thing AMD is banking on the most.
Intel will be back, I can't imagine anything else. They do have a lot more engineers, patents, industry connections and all that. But I don't see AMD falling behind again the way they did 15 years ago.

Good competition is like a pendulum .... swinging back and forth with the loser always improving to take the winner spot the next cycle. It would be even better for the consumer if there were a 3rd or 4th major contender, but as it is we all still win.
I'd like to see the two competitors we have now go back and forth for more than a couple years at a time.

Back