AMD, Nvidia nearly even in overall GPU shipments

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Mercury Research has released its "PC Graphics Market Share Update" report for the third quarter showing that, for the second consecutive period, AMD maintained a lead in the discrete graphics market -- albeit a small one. The data firm puts AMD's total share at 50.30%, while Nvidia is at 49.60% (Matrox accounted for the remaining 0.1%). The titans are practically dead even in the big picture, but the pie isn't cut so neatly when comparing individual sectors.

AMD continued gaining ground in the discrete notebook segment, claiming another 5.6% of the market for a share of 61.9% in the recent period. That compares to Nvidia's 38.10% share, but both companies shipped less mobile units on-quarter. Meanwhile, Nvidia held 58.80% of the desktop market, next to AMD's 41%. Both saw gains in desktop sales as the market grew 20.80% sequentially with the arrival of Nvidia's GTX 460 and AMD's subsequent price cuts.

Although AMD is dominating the mobile sector and has had better desktop offerings for about a year (barring the GTX 460), International Business Times reported yesterday that ThinkEquity analyst Krishna Shankar says Nvidia will "become more competitive" with its rival in both segments. Shankar believes Nvidia has "entrenched software advantages" with better parallel/visual computing capabilities as well as the mindshare of game developers and gamers alike.

Permalink to story.

I'm looking for amd to come out on top within the next year so I can stop planning my upgrades around vga drop dates.

I'm sensing that AMD is going to come out on top, particularly because the market is become increasingly geared towards laptops. Everyone wants the same powerful hardware, but in laptop form. Mobile discrete cards seem to be the popular future of the market.
Although personally I've always been more of a nVidia guy.

It could be very bad for us (the consumers), if AMD comes out on top of the video card market.
nVidia's only income is GPUs, but AMD is making money off the CPU and GPU markets.
Competition is good, but too much can kill one of the two companies.

You can't forget that either company is short on cash. Even though AMD has a place in more than one market sector, that doesn't meaning it is making a profit. nvidia also has more than one market. They have tegra and tegra 2. anyway, i will go with what ever company gives me the best deal.

Amd has gained some serious market share since the arrival of the 4800 series, but this is how a the market should stay... No clear winner and both titans fighting for the consumer's approval! Although I wouldn't mind a tiny advantage for the red team ;)

TeamworkGuy2, NVIDIA has more money than AMD. NVIDIA has no debt. AMD is walking around with 4 to 6 billion in loans they need to pay back. If HD 5000 had flopped, we'd probably be talking about how sad it is that they're going out of business right now.

AMD has a dismal CPU line and a mediocre GPU line (their history in the GPU market has been pretty terrible until recently). AMD's workstation and HPC segments are laughed at.

NVIDIA has the corner on both workstation graphics (Quadro), which is worth more than gaming graphics, due to the massive margins in workstation GPUs, and HPC GPUs (Tesla). They also have an ultra-portable solution (Tegra). NVIDIA's Tegra business is probably worth more than NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon combined.

While the GeForce GTX 480 wasn't well received by the market, GeForce GTX 460 was. And it's the mid-range and low-end GPUs that really sell anyway.

So it's back to looking relatively dim for AMD, again. A big turn-around in AMD's CPU business is really what the market needs at this point. Someone needs to smack Intel down.

Good to see the competition. I hope to see AMD eventually even up with Nvidia in terms of software advantage. Some better driver support would be welcomed as well.

Im a Fanboy of Amd honestly, but i have a x1950pro 256mb video card ahaha and a dual core 2.8ghz athlon :)
Love this news that they are getting market share back, however they need to compete much harder in Australia 95% of laptops here are intel chips, all you see when you go to retail outlets is Core i3,i5,i7.

Intel tried to screw everyone over making special rebates and **** for companies not to purchase AMD processors and graphics cards, prices went up and pc spec's didnt increase much at all. Once the European Union gave their verdict and fined those *******s, all of a sudden HP,Toshiba and Acer start buying Amd.

Now the market is actually competitive and we are finally seeing some respectable pricing for high end dual core processors and mid range graphics cards.

Wow. Thats freakin dead even. when GTX 580 and Nvidia lowers GTX 480 price it might give Nvidia the edge.

I'm glad to see the even divide, it makes for healthy competition.

However, nVidia is pretty much the only solution when it comes to workstations and non-gaming applications, so a large chunk of nVidia's profit isn't really shown in the study.

AMD is really stepping it up, good to see. wonder how it will be next year performance/prices-wise.

Wow. Thats freakin dead even. when GTX 580 and Nvidia lowers GTX 480 price it might give Nvidia the edge.

Extremely unlikely.
The top tier of enthusiast desktop graphics cards is a very, very small volume market. GTX 470, 480, HD 5870 and HD 5890 made up a small fraction of the last generations card sales. While everyone might drool over them most peoples finances don't stretch to these cards, and just as often if finances do allow, then buying two mainstream cards for Crossfire/SLI often gets the nod due to a better performance/price standpoint.

The battle for marketshare is usually fought in the sub-$US200 range for desktop cards. Look for the GTX 560 and HD 6870 to provide the best-bang-for-the-buck at the $200 mark, with the HD 5770 (and it's successor, when it arrives), HD 6850, GTS 455 and GTX 460 768Mb to be slugging it out in the trenches at Newegg.

nice to see AMD is gaining strength
If you read the figures you will see that AMD actually lost marketshare to nvidia this quarter compared with the previous quarter. In overall graphics (integrated + discrete desktop/notebook) AMD lost marketshare to both nvidia and Intel.

dividebyzero said:
If you read the figures you will see that AMD actually lost marketshare to nvidia this quarter compared with the previous quarter. In overall graphics (integrated + discrete desktop/notebook) AMD lost marketshare to both nvidia and Intel.
Great link. I remember talking about mobile market share in another story but I hadn't seen any hard numbers for it. Oh how it must hurt to be SiS video division with a drop from 0.1% to 0.0%!

That article also mentions that the drop in AMD's market share is likely related to production shortages in AMD's line. I hadn't heard about this before, hopefully they'll have enough volume to support 6000 series demand.

@PanicX
The production shortages thing is something that AMD have been banging on about for some time. Supposedly they do not get enough wafer starts at TSMC, either through TSMC running out of capacity, or if you favour the tinfoil hat, nvidia buying up (apparently 80% !!) of TSMC's capacity just so that AMD can't sell more graphics cards.
The truth is likely that TSMC is running at full capacity, AMD were quietly killing the HD 5850 and 5870 (while pricing the virtually non-existant 5970 so high no one would want to try to buy one) and running out stock in preperation for the HD 6xxx series, and possibly the fact that AMD will soon be turning it's back on TSMC (at least in stages) as Global Foundries takes more of its custom and may have some bearing on allocation.

Very true. haha. poor S3. I'm actually VERY surpised Matrox is on that list as well. I haven't seen one of their products for years. It's hard to believe they are still competitive in the market.

That being said. Intel integrated graphics is CRAP.

I'm surprised that AMD Radeon is actually in lead
Me to.
Bizarre that AMD have half the discrete market when only putting out cards at a better performance/price point than nvidia for the last two years. You would have thought that a company living off past glories (G80/G92) and having a single-minded determination to produce limited quanities of the most powerful single-GPU cards at the expense of the volume mainstream and budget markets would see nvidia comfortably in the drivers seat....wouldn't you?

Guest said:

AMD has a dismal CPU line and a mediocre GPU line (their history in the GPU market has been pretty terrible until recently). AMD's workstation and HPC segments are laughed at.

You clearly just don't like AMD. Dismal CPU line? While the i5/i7s are the better choices for enthusiasts, the phenoms and athlons are clearly the better option in the $50 to $150 category. Mediocre GPU line? Not since they introduced the 3870/3850 in late 2007 which were competitive at the very least, and then they arguably won the 4800 vs gt200 round. And no question they're winning right now, the gtx 460 is the only reasonable competition... and thats only on par with AMD's current offering, not better. AMD's workstation offerings aren't poor either. I'm actually surprised they haven't surpassed or at least caught up with nvidia in desktop market share. Where did you get your information?

Back