AMD Processor Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techsprog

Hi All,
This is my first thread so please be patient with me ! ! ! I have a 4 year old computer which fully satisfies my requirements except it is slow by present standards. I have increased memory to 512megs and frequently carry out all necessary housekeeping although I am sure there is a load of rubbish on the HD which has gathered over the years (but that is another question). The system has an AMD Athlon XP 1500+ processor (1.33ghtz) which sits on a Gigabyte 7VTX 1.x motherboard. Before I start looking at changing the motherboard (which I don't really want to do) my question is what is the fastest AMD processor I can fit to my present board to give me a decent increase in speed and are there any complications I may come up against. I know my choice will be limited but I don't want to get into changing a large number of components or trying to talk Microsoft into letting me re-register Windows XP amongst other things.
Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

According to what ive reviewed of your MoBo... it a pretty old one.
Its a Socket A... so im guessing that the fastest AMD CPU it can handle its a AMD Athlon XP 1800+-2000+ kinda that has a Front Side Bus of 200/266 MHz.

Thanks Jaquio, Checked out the Link and see where you're coming from. That size processor would be ideal I think. Now all I've got to do is find one in UK.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back