AMD puts Wraith Max cooler up for sale

Greg S

AMD has announced that its top of the line stock air cooling solution will be available from retailers. The air cooler features a 92mm Cooler Master fan with RGB LED ring over a large aluminum heatsink comprised of 50 fins and four copper heat pipes, good for up to a 140W TDP. Thermal paste will come pre-applied on the copper base plate.

The Wraith Max is compatible with AM4, AM3, and FM2 motherboards and requires a USB header in addition to an RGB LED header for use. Lighting is controllable using a variety of third party software or through AMD Wraith Max RGB lighting control software.

Operating under load, the Wraith Max is meant to keep any of the Ryzen 7 CPUs under 60°C while maintaining a noise level of less than 38dBA. While the performance of the Wraith Max is far superior to that of Intel stock cooling solutions, it is still a stock cooler. Cheaper solutions such as Cooler Master's Hyper 212 EVO can provide similar or better performance for less of your hard earned money.

As a result of popular demand, AMD has conceded and starting offering the Wraith Max, but don't expect to find any at bargain pricing. The Wraith Max has a suggested retail price of $59. Availability is not yet confirmed, but expect to see the coolers hit store shelves very soon.

Permalink to story.

Who cares about the max cooler, what about the RGB Spire??

Had to buy mine for my 1600 second hand from a 1700 user.

I'm quite happy this is finally out. It's performance is good enough for anyone not OCing or only doing mild OC, and when helping n00b builders, being able to recommend a good cooler that just snaps on makes the process so much easier.

I also cant wait to see this cooler combined with either an undervolted 1700 or an undervolted raven right APU.

Dat price though. $60 is a lot for this kind of cooling performance.

<p>AMD has announced that its top of the line stock air cooling solution will be available from retailers. The air cooler features a 92mm Cooler Master fan with RGB LED ring over a large aluminum heatsink comprised of 50 fins and four copper heat pipes, good for up to a 140W TDP.
Which seems to me, tentatively excludes it from use on anything over-clocked prior to Ryzen. Or at the very least, could put the user on shaky cooling ground, as it were.

Operating under load, the Wraith Max is meant to keep any of the Ryzen 7 CPUs under 60&deg;C while maintaining a noise level of less than 38dBA. While the performance of the Wraith Max is far superior to that of Intel stock cooling solutions, it is still a stock cooler.
That's not all that cool, or all that quiet..
But yes, it is obviously superior to Intel's current stock coolers, which BTW, are free.

However, if you went back to Intel coolers of the Prescott era, you'd find (IIRC) they were much more substantial and some had copper cores.

...[ ]...As a result of popular demand, AMD has conceded and starting offering the Wraith Max, but don't expect to find any at bargain pricing. The Wraith Max has a suggested retail price of $59.
Which strikes me a tad ironic, as AMD is waging a price war with Intel on the CPU front, then charging 60 bucks for what in reality amounts to a glorified stock cooler.

I even think you might get a comparably performing cooler at the same price from Noctua. Which is sort of scary, considering Noctua's pricing structure.

I've seen single fan water cooling systems at the sixty dollar mark, but I'll leave it to someone more experienced with that type of cooling to evaluate the relative performance aspect.

Last edited:
BUT MUH LEDS!
One of the vertical Cooler Master coolers has LEDS: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103218 ATM it's $30.99

c0.jpg

I need a couple of these for my Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU. :p
Oddly, I have a lowly EVGA 1050 ti "FTW" model. It's connected to a single 1440p monitor. All I do with it is upscale DVD movies to full screen. As Jehovah is my witness, I have yet to see the cooling fans turn.

(And in case you were going to ask, yes, I did use monitoring software to determine the GPU temps. They were well under 50c)..

Back