AMD Radeon RX 6600M vs. RTX 3060 Laptop GPU Review

All you need for laptop gaming is an 8-core CPU (3 GHz or higher) with a 3050Ti or better and you'll get solid 1080p performance (or better).

I bought an ASUS TUFF A15 laptop with a 15" monitor for $1099. Prices dipped and now that 17" variant is $999. It's good for 1080p gaming, but I use it for mobile Youtube podcasting.

Last edited:
I had to go with a laptop with a 3070. I really wanted a 6800M, but with there being only one option with the ASUS laptop, I had to go for the 3070 instead.

For the 6600M vs 3060, I would go with the 6600M simply because of the extra VRAM. I ran into issues with VRAM on my old GTX 1060 laptop with certain games like Doom Eternal and Warzone. I think Nvidia needs to bump up the VRAM for sure on the mobile RTX 4000 series. Don't have 3 generations of GPU with the same amount of VRAM like 1050, 1650, 3050 with 4gb and 1060, 2060, 3060 with 6gb.

"The 6600M has a larger VRAM buffer (8GB vs 6GB), but also lacks some of the features of the RTX 3060, like DLSS and more mature ray tracing support."

FSR is AMD's version of DLSS and should be mentioned in this statement the more mature ray tracing support is accurate.

And before someone comes in here fanboying.

This post is not a FSR vs DLSS one just that they should mention FSR in the sentence above and that's it.

All you need for laptop gaming is an 8-core CPU with a 350Ti or better and you'll get solid 1080p performance.

I bought an ASUS TUFF A15 laptop with a 15" monitor for $1099. Prices dipped and now that 17" variant is $999. It's good for 1080p gaming, but I use it for mobile Youtube podcasting.

4 GB shouldn't be sold anymore on gaming laptop, that's the current bare minimum for VRAM usage on any AAA games.

a similarly priced GTX 1660 Ti from last year performs much better than RTX 3050 Ti... that card is a mistake and a quick cash grab that are enabled by people who blindly bought things just because they're new.

The Strix G15 Advantage Edition was plagued with major problems for nearly 6 straight months... and there are still some other glitches clinging on for dear-life. Asus needs to fix the inherent sleep issues with external peripherals, like gaming mice & keyboards.

None of the AE goodness is worth a &^%$ if a company like Asus can't get their software/firmware team to execute professionally! These fools can't even keep the Ai (support) app, Armoury Crate and their product support pages straight either...

The Strix G15 Advantage Edition was plagued with major problems for nearly 6 straight months... and there are still some other glitches clinging on for dear-life. Asus needs to fix the inherent sleep issues with external peripherals, like gaming mice & keyboards.

None of the AE goodness is worth a &^%$ if a company like Asus can't get their software/firmware team to execute professionally! These fools can't even keep the Ai (support) app, Armoury Crate and their product support pages straight either...
I've had the Advantage Edition laptop since June. I upgraded to 32GB of faster RAM and did a fresh Windows install when I got it.

Sometimes I have to unplug/replug the receiver to get it to recognize my wireless Elecom trackball. That's the one and only problem I've run into.

I haven't found a game it won't run on the 1080p screen with my preferred settings (most options maxed), and I've played several games well on a 4K TV.

Initially it was limited to the driver from Asus, but the next AMD update added support to the regular Adrenalin driver.

Been very happy with it.

4 GB shouldn't be sold anymore on gaming laptop, that's the current bare minimum for VRAM usage on any AAA games.

a similarly priced GTX 1660 Ti from last year performs much better than RTX 3050 Ti... that card is a mistake and a quick cash grab that are enabled by people who blindly bought things just because they're new.

Name a Triple AAA game that requires more than a 3050Ti to run at 1080p.

I'm desperate to hear of one.

And yes, I understand the 3060 and 3070 are ideal because they are faster and offer more VRAM, but once again, I'm not really using this for games as I mentioned. I'm using it mostly for mobile podcasting.

At the pricepoint ($999 or less) it's just fine for the average user.

Name a Triple AAA game that requires more than a 3050Ti to run at 1080p.

I'm desperate to hear of one.

And yes, I understand the 3060 and 3070 are ideal because they are faster and offer more VRAM, but once again, I'm not really using this for games as I mentioned. I'm using it mostly for mobile podcasting.

At the pricepoint ($999 or less) it's just fine for the average user.
AC Valhalla to name a few. the problem isn't the RTX 3050 Ti itself, but the fact it only ships with 4GB of VRAM makes it terribly constrained. if Nvidia at least bothered to ship with 6GB of VRAM, it'd be in a better position.

I've had the Advantage Edition laptop since June. I upgraded to 32GB of faster RAM and did a fresh Windows install when I got it.

Sometimes I have to unplug/replug the receiver to get it to recognize my wireless Elecom trackball. That's the one and only problem I've run into.

I haven't found a game it won't run on the 1080p screen with my preferred settings (most options maxed), and I've played several games well on a 4K TV.

Initially it was limited to the driver from Asus, but the next AMD update added support to the regular Adrenalin driver.

Been very happy with it.

I had been using this laptop since early September and the only thing that I did was swapping the RAM to a Dual Rank Ripjaws 3,200MHz 32GB RAM kit and using GC Gelid Xtreme instead of the liquid thermal stuff which is not really appealing to me as it had been the root cause of many GPUs dying on these laptops due to leaks. There is a new BIOS/vBIOS update that corrects the stuttering a bit and tweaks the voltage slightly more to be more power efficient.

I honestly never understood the point of testing any resolution higher than 1080p on a craptop. Like, I have a standard 15.6" craptop and I honestly can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on it because the screen isn't large enough. You need a helluva lot more panel area to see the difference between 720p and 1080p, let alone 1080p and 1440p. After all, the only reason that resolutions above 480p were developed was because flat screens can increase in size by A LOT without becoming so heavy as to be downright dangerous like a huge CRT would be. I think that the largest craptop monitors are 17" and I can't imagine that it would be much different than a 15.6" would be that way.

Hell, with the screen size of my 2020 Moto G Power (6.4"), even 480p looks fine. If someone was to change my resolutions between 480p, 540p, 720p and 1080p each day, I'm quite certain that I'd be completely oblivious to it. In fact, if I had the choice, I'd leave my phone set to 480p as default because that would be far less strenuous for my phone's GPU (Adreno 610) which would probably go a long way to increase battery life.

I understand the testing to see just what exactly they're capable of, but really really, 1440p and up are irrelevant resolutions for craptop displays.

Without DLSS AMD needs to be priced a tier below or performing a tier above Nvidia to be competitive. A friend of mine recently bought a 3060 laptop and with DLSS on he plays Death Stranding at 4K on his TV with it and it looks great.

Oh and I know FSR exists but it’s broken, the image quality is dreadful and there’s a strange jitter that it adds to games. Maybe it will improve but right now it doesn’t hold a candle to DLSS.

AC Valhalla to name a few. the problem isn't the RTX 3050 Ti itself, but the fact it only ships with 4GB of VRAM makes it terribly constrained. if Nvidia at least bothered to ship with 6GB of VRAM, it'd be in a better position.

I stopped playing AC games after the original. I was bored by it. The textbook EA ported gameplay is better in Far Cry games.

I stopped playing AC games after the original. I was bored by it. The textbook EA ported gameplay is better in Far Cry games.
you went off rail. I'm not talking about AC games, I'm talking about how 4GB of VRAM are simply not enough for a chip aimed for gaming released in 2021 or later.

Back