AMD Radeon RX 7600 Review: DOA Radeon, Again?

Sadly this is exactly what I was expecting but wanting AMD not to do when I saw the 4060ti review which was basically AMD missing a golden opportunity: there was never going to be a better time to severely undercut Nvidia and take back market share but as it has been the usual for several years, if Nvidia leads AMD GPU division just follows even when it comes to terrible products AMD can't seem to help it but to end up being competitively as lousy of a poor value saying 'Nope we're going to be better at sucking too Nvidia'

It honestly feels like Lisa only keeps Radeon as a division just to say they have an answer to one of their main competitors but not to actually take a leadership position anytime soon or in the future: Just keep technically releasing products and working on the software stack so we can still win the APU contracts for console manufacturers and we're not so far behind Nvidia than Microsoft and Sony want to change over to Nvidia for the next console gen. Smiliar approach to not completely concede of their no answer to CUDA on the data centers.

It's another card that makes no sense considering the 6650 XT can already be had at the price and it's really on par, basically the same performance. However, the silver lining here is that this card is likely to be $220 in the coming months. The 6600 had a launch MSRP of $329. This is already $60 cheaper than that. The 6600 also dropped like a rock in price once GPU shortages let up and you can easily find models under $200 today new, with TLOU packaged in. This is not nearly as bad as the 4060 Ti in terms of what you are getting for the price and will probably be a much better value in the near future. Not to mention, you'll likely get TLOU packaged with this one at launch too.

VRAM on the 7600 XT is the real question. Will it have at least 12GB? If not, that one is DOA too. The 7600 would have been much better paired with 10GB.

I don't expect anything from AMD that is going to wow us. I think their best opportunity is the 7800 XT if they get the pricing right, but my take is that a great value GPU just is not going to happen this generation.

Last edited:
We'll probably see this GPU at 230-250$ by the end of summer, a price point where it makes much more sense. Still at 270$ it's not that bad, it just exists amongst other GPUs as a good alternative to the 6650XT :)

I can't think of an easier time for AMD to give Nvidia a few digs, but it seems like they just don't care. I can't believe they're so incompetent, this has to be on purpose.
If AMD wanted to be in the game they would release the 7600 XT with 12 GB and performance greater than the 6700 XT for $329. However, early rumors are behind the 6700 Xt and only 8GB.

This tells me the 7800XT is going to sit at around 6900XT performance and cost $600 (basically little difference from the 6950XT) and the 7700XT will perform at the 6800XT level at $500. So basically no significant uplift for your money based on what is available at the moment.

If AMD wanted to be in the game they would release the 7600 XT with 12 GB and performance greater than the 6700 XT for $329. However, early rumors are behind the 6700 Xt and only 8GB.
Well they do have a 6750xt selling for as low as $319 that comes with a free game ($60 value)
that is superior to the 4060ti, 6700xt and 7600 xt
and comes with 12 gigs of vram
https://www.newegg.com/msi-rx-6750-xt-mech-2x-12g-oc/p/N82E16814137735

take home message is that they are intentionally pricing these the way they are so that they can sell last gen. Questions?

Oh, man, I was certain they would ask 300+ for this garbage. I think someone with a brain at AMD slapped a 270$ price on it on the last moment, trying really hard to reconcile management's high expectations with reality. This card's value is merely 200$. DOA again. I'm starting to love this phrase, it means you suck, get better and that's what both companies deserve for being lazy, that's what they deserve for being smug and complacent. And I'm also glad the Vram issue is turning into a storm. By now, most if not all gamers are going to avoid 8Gb cards altogether.

I was hoping for more but I guess at this price point it's hard to ask for much more in this market. $270 is significant enough to make this worthwhile in some cases.

It's just bizarre to me that there are cards being released new that still only have 8gb of vram. I can see this being good as an encoder or for a second computer to play old multiplayer games on.

Those $199 Intel Arc A750's and RX 6600's at Newegg are looking better with each launch if you are a budget shopper and insist on a new card. I just picked up another RX 5700 XT 8GB for $117 to replace a 4GB RX 570 in my 8 year old's PC, something to consider.

Oh, man, I was certain they would ask 300+ for this garbage. I think someone with a brain at AMD slapped a 270$ price on it on the last moment, trying really hard to reconcile management's high expectations with reality. This card's value is merely 200$. DOA again. I'm starting to love this phrase, it means you suck, get better and that's what both companies deserve for being lazy, that's what they deserve for being smug and complacent. And I'm also glad the Vram issue is turning into a storm. By now, most if not all gamers are going to avoid 8Gb cards altogether.
Yes, I realize that you can get the 6750 XT from MSI pretty cheap right now, but if you look all the other 6750 XTs are priced a good bit more because stock is getting low. The 6700 XT will be gone soon, MSI must have made a ton of them haha. Also, if the starting price of the 7600 XT is $329, then it would likely be available under $300 by 4th quarter which could really boost Holiday sales and give you a real value option.

This tells me the 7800XT is going to sit at around 6900XT performance and cost $600 (basically little difference from the 6950XT) and the 7700XT will perform at the 6800XT level at $500. So basically no significant uplift for your money based on what is available at the moment.
The silver lining to this type of pricing though is that AMD cards tend to sell below MSRP fairly quickly. Both the 7900XTX ($940 with discount on Newegg today) and 7900XT($779) can be gotten for under MSRP already. So, AMD bringing down the starting MSRP for these cards is not necessarily a bad thing and could bring some real value toward Q4 2023. But yeah, at launch AMD cards will not bring any additional value than what is currently on the market.

The GPU's you are comparing will stop being produced, obviously clearance prices will beat the MSRP price. You can't expect a company to sell a product at loss to please the public.

Anyway, why is the performance here so inconsistent compared to other Reviews?

I feel that both companies will soon stop producing entry-level GPUs, and these will be replaced by APUs. The cost of producing GPUs is rising to extra-trospheric levels, and it makes more sense to focus production on high-margin segments like data centers and AI rather than entry-level gaming GPUs.

I'm confused.

It is faster than its predecessor but thats bad.

Then you said that if it was priced at 250 it would be great, but its DOA because is 270?

Only thing that I can say that at the very least, they did listened to you and reduced the price from 300.

One thing I do wish end up happening, both AMD and Ngreedia accumulate a lot more inventory for them to do proper sales and price reductions due to this.

The small advantage the RX 7600 has over the RX 6650 XT (5% on average, at 1440p) leads me to suspect that there's seriously something wrong with AMD's compiler - the new card has roughly double the peak FP32 throughput, so even though all the other metrics are the same, it should be performing a lot better than it is.

The small advantage the RX 7600 has over the RX 6650 XT (5% on average, at 1440p) leads me to suspect that there's seriously something wrong with AMD's compiler - the new card has roughly double the peak FP32 throughput, so even though all the other metrics are the same, it should be performing a lot better than it is.
I'm going to admit I don't know the answer to this. Is that something that could be fixed with driver updates or is that baked in and there is no fixing it without a hardware revision?

Wow, what pathetic couple of releases from AMD and Nvidia. The only card worth getting even remotely excited about is the 4070 and 4070Ti, but both of these cards should have been at least $100 cheaper to be worth buying.
The 7600 and 4060Ti bring nothing really exciting to the table that similarly priced last gen cards don't already do! Yes I know that Nvidia has DLSS3, but that is not going to make me buy a new $600 video card.

WTF. Just stick to your 5700XT, 6600 or 3060Ti instead of buying this recycled crap! Cards like these do not move the gaming needle forward.

Thank you for the review, and especially for the clear and concise title again. :laughing:
And is sad that in fact, with AMD and Nvidia, we do not have a real competition at all in gaming videocards market. I heard that AMD CEO and Nvidia CEO are close relatives. Jensen Huang is Lisa Su's uncle? That would explain a lot, especially how a family competition looks like between close relatives. No good products for consumers, only overpriced ones which fill out their wallets.

For m3tavision
"If you are going to be buying a new 1080p GPU... which card would you People be buying...?"
Suddenly, Intel Arc seems a good alternative comparing with this 7600 and definitely with 4060

P.S. Just found that "technically, Lisa Su's grandfather is Jen-Hsun Huang's uncle. They are not exactly niece and uncle, but close relatives." So they are "1st cousins once removed".

Last edited:
It seems like AMD and NVIDIA are both stubbornly determined to try to define a “new normal” for GPU prices. This is classic duopoly behavior where neither side wants to really undercut the other.

The best thing we can do is let this entire generation rot on the shelves.

P.S. I really hope Intel gets their act together with GPUs (wishful thinking, I know). This is a market in dire need of real disruption.

Back