AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT Review: Is This GPU DOA at $900?

AMD missed a HUGE, MASSIVE opportunity to take over the desktop. But they let nVidia once again have the stage.

Offer competitive cards at very reasonable prices, and they won't be able to produce enough. Maybe order direct from AMD, max 2 per person/address. All must be verified addresses and not PO boxes.

Prices are already well above MSRP, and MSRP is well above what I'm going to spend.

Objectively, the RX 7900 XT don't seems to offer a lot of value when the RX 7900 XTX is clearly ahead for 100 bucks more, I feel the RX 7900 XT may put the RTX 4800 12GB or now known as 4070 Ti to shame when it comes to rasterization performance if it launches at the same price point. Both Nvidia and AMD are obviously cutting too deep from their flagship chips and pricing it way off. The RTX 4080 may sound like a better deal than the RX 7900 XT or even XTX given its strength in RT and DLSS advantage, but it is priced so close to the RTX 4090 which is way ahead of it.

Once the 4070Ti comes out, maybe the 7900XT will look like a better deal. Rumor is the 4070Ti is looking to be around 3090/3090Ti performance so that would land it right behind the 7900XT in overall performance (not including the stupidity of RT).

For those that don't give a rip about RT, if the 4070Ti sits behind the 7900XT and it's priced the same at $900 hopefully it'll be more enticing for folks over Nvidia's offerings. Especially if AMD can get good performance boosts with drivers as time goes on.

Another company desperately trying to stick with ludicrous scalper/crypto prices when the market has gone.

With nVidia charging so much for their cards AMD actually had a chance to get a foothold in the upper-mid part of the GPU market, but they couldn't resist going for top dollar. As a consequence, like so many AMD nearly-but-not-quite GPUs this will sell poorly and fade away unnoticed and unloved.

Last edited:
AMD missed a HUGE, MASSIVE opportunity to take over the desktop. But they let nVidia once again have the stage.

Offer competitive cards at very reasonable prices, and they won't be able to produce enough. Maybe order direct from AMD, max 2 per person/address. All must be verified addresses and not PO boxes.

Prices are already well above MSRP, and MSRP is well above what I'm going to spend.
As far as AMD is concerned, the 7900xt seems to be selling well. It sold out day 1 like the xtx, and even now it appears half of them are out of stock on newegg and amazon listings are or have run out of enough for christmas.

If they're selling this well launching it at $800 would have been throwing money down the tubes, they've found enough buyers to justify the price. For now. They can always lower it later once costs come down and ost have sold to entire further purchases.

I don't think the review scores are based solely on performance, but also price, right? If so, 70 seems like a very generous score for this card that's at least several hundred dollars more expensive than it should be.

I don't think the review scores are based solely on performance, but also price, right? If so, 70 seems like a very generous score for this card that's at least several hundred dollars more expensive than it should be.
Margins are a thing, and need to be looked at. The memory alone for the cut down 7900xt are $260. You also need to factor in the silicon cost of the chip itself, the 5x memory controllers, the PCB, cooler, assembly, shipping, and tariffs, thats all before counting in covering R+D cost, making profit, paying software engineers, ece.

The days of $500 flagships are long over.

But oddly, where it matters, the xt matches or beats the 4080, which is $300 more.

So for anyone moving to 1440p and want the best... hard to beat the XT. And what this review DOESN'T cover, is OC'd AIB cards and how the 7900xt can lead in price/performance over it's competitor.

I still can't find a reason to justify spending $1,200 on a RTX 4080, for often times, less performance... for $300 more.

Albeit, that^ is why the XTX is such an easily buy, because it's only $100 more and is the clear winner. Specially in Call of Duty Warzone. Where it is unmatched!

It may sell well for about a week....and drop big time within a month or two.
I like AMD, in fact my last 4 cards have been AMD but what a bunch of a-holes for this price tag.
IMO this is a $700 AT BEST.
As much as I don't like Nvidia I think I would rather splurge and get a 4090 before buying one of these cards from AMD. The performance gap is so huge and you're already spending a lot of cash. But that's just me....

NOBODY should buy this card at this price. TBH, I don't think that anyone should buy ANY of the new-gen cards at current prices but that ship sailed long ago. Having said that, the two lower-tier cards, the RTX 4080 and RX 7900 XT are especially bad because they both only exist to make their bigger brothers look better.

My guess is that AMD and nVidia both have the idea that people will buy the more expensive card because it's a better value even though it costs more. If some fools buy the cheaper cards at the current inflated prices, so much the better. However, I think that neither company expects to keep these cards at their current prices (at least I don't think that AMD does, with nVidia, who knows?).

I mean, I don't expect them to drop anytime soon because they both have the rest of their product stacks to release but I'm willing to bet any money that unsold RTX 4080 and RX 7900 XT cards will be the big GPU deals for next year's Black Friday sale. By then, they'll have fulfilled their purpose of getting people to buy the more expensive cards.

Since they're so overpriced, that means that the margins on them must be gigantic and they'll just sell them off "on sale" as Black Friday Deals using their standard margins (which could be a price drop of $250 or more). It'll appear to be a great deal though and nobody will be able to accuse them of raising the price only to lower it again. If that's what they're doing, it's pretty ingenious marketing.

I don't have a problem with it because I see through it. It'll still mean that most people won't be over-paying for these cards because I expect them to (for the most part) gather dust until then. Sure, some fools will buy anything but most won't, as we've seen with the RTX 4080 (although the 7900 XT being $300 cheaper than the RTX 4080 might be tempting for some).

Last edited:
As far as AMD is concerned, the 7900xt seems to be selling well. It sold out day 1 like the xtx, and even now it appears half of them are out of stock on newegg and amazon listings are or have run out of enough for christmas.

If they're selling this well launching it at $800 would have been throwing money down the tubes, they've found enough buyers to justify the price. For now. They can always lower it later once costs come down and ost have sold to entire further purchases.

Agreed. Same thoughts plus
- if someone wants to buy AMD top video card, and 7900xtx is sold out, then he buys 7900xt
- holiday time is just right for these prices
- it may also help to clear AIB partner's stock of prev gen high-end.

Soon we will probably see the 4070ti at < $899, and AMD could have more reasons to correct the prices.

All in all, prices atm are reasonable, from the manufacturer's point of view. Who wants to buy at lower prices, then just waits a couple of months.

DOA?

Has such dramatic title has ever been used on any of Nvidia last two gens offerings because of their prices by Steve, Tim, HU or TS?

Anyways, you can manipulate this as you wish, one example, its faster than a 3090Ti, which launched at US$ 2K and that GPU was never called "DOA".

I do believe that AMD was beyond greedy and stupid in naming this 7900 XT, instead of what really is, a 7800 XT and not pricing it accordingly which should be US$ 550 to 650.

But really, DOA?

I am beyond disappointed with the AMD trashing on HU and TS.

DOA?

Has such dramatic title has ever been used on any of Nvidia last two gens offerings because of their prices by Steve, Tim, HU or TS?

Anyways, you can manipulate this as you wish, one example, its faster than a 3090Ti, which launched at US$ 2K and that GPU was never called "DOA".

I do believe that AMD was beyond greedy and stupid in naming this 7900 XT, instead of what really is, a 7800 XT and not pricing it accordingly which should be US$ 550 to 650.

But really, DOA?

I am beyond disappointed with the AMD trashing on HU and TS.

It's everywhere. Lots of folks on TPU are calling it a crap card and they're even bashing the XTX model because it's not beating the 4090. They say that AMD's top card (7900 XTX) is pathetic and they shouldn't be asking $1000 for it because it just slightly better than the 4080 and blah, blah, blah.

It doesn't matter where you look, you see the same thing.

I think that we are stuck with the outlandish GPU pricing. There haven't been any breakthroughs in rendering. AMD and NVidia are just making cards with bigger dies/chiplets on much more expensive nodes and using more memory of faster and faster varieties. Fabrication prices for the 4080 and 7900 series are around $400 which means that they NEED to sell these at more than double the price. They can't do what Sony and MS does and sell the hardware at near cost (or possibly at a loss). They need to make money to pay the costs of being in business.
Perhaps the problem is that Moore's law has been dead for some time and they only forced it by growing scale so that it could only work in a high cost boutique market that prices most gamers out. Maybe if the industry wasn't throwing ever more demanding applications (high precision ray-tracing, moving beyond 4K, and displays capable of over 144hz...) and let the market stabilize. There should have been a massive drop in prices as used 3080s flooded the market after Etherium's conversion, but that flow has been constricted to maintain high prices.

The problem with "sell out on day one" is that it's a marketing trick. They put a tiny stock just for that, to build hype. Can we have the numbers please? Nope, not until next quarter or smt, but I bet it's in the few hundreds, which would be fckin poor.

Last edited:
All the current gen cards are good on a technical level, it's just the pricing that sucks which will settle out as market forces do their work. The 7900XT should be at $800 or below soon and the 4080 should also settle out to around $1000. Even lower if the 7900XTX sits on shelves.

I offer my $550 6800 XT as evidence. Don't let FOMO override your common sense.

All the current gen cards are good on a technical level, it's just the pricing that sucks which will settle out as market forces do their work. The 7900XT should be at $800 or below soon and the 4080 should also settle out to around $1000. Even lower if the 7900XTX sits on shelves.

I offer my $550 6800 XT as evidence. Don't let FOMO override your common sense.
(y) (Y) Agreed. The true take-away from this is if you are looking for a better price, don't buy now - wait. Prices will drop as we have seen happening with NVidia's latest offerings that are not selling.

Back