AMD readies a triple-core desktop Llano, early tests leaked

Jos

Staff

AMD is reportedly getting ready to add a triple-core variant to its A-Series processor lineup. The chip will be sold under the A6-3500 moniker and it is essentially the same as AMD's upcoming A6-3600, except for the fact that it has one core switched off. That means 2.1GHz clock speeds (2.4GHz with Turbo), 3MB of L2 cache, support for 1866MHz DDR3 memory, Radeon HD 6530D integrated graphics with 320 stream processors running at 443MHz, and a TDP of 65W.

AMD has yet to release a price for the triple-core Llano and we don't have a specific release date either, but reports claim the A6-3500 will be hitting stores sometime during Q3 with the rest of the A6-series line-up.

A forum poster by the name of bminggann on Chinese site ZOL got their hands on a sample and has uploaded some pictures and details about the chip in question, including a few CPU-Z and GPU-Z screens as well as AIDA64 and 3DMark06 scores. On the latter benchmark the A6-3500 managed a score of 5137, while bumping the core voltage to 1.552V bminggann achieved a 3.6GHz overclock and a higher 3DMark06 score of 5259.

Rumors also point at the possibility that some motherboards will let users unlock the fourth core on AMD's A6-3500, as it is possible today with triple-core Athlon II and Phenom II offerings. This means you could basically get a quad-core A6-3600 without paying full price for it -- though it's not guaranteed to work in all cases.

Permalink to story.

I don't know, I think they should shift their focus on designing cpu that solves overheating problem

Here they go again. I can't figure out what AMD's fascination with triple core is.

They exist to increase yields. If only one core doesnt match standards on a quadcore part just make it a triple core or if there is an excess supply of quadcore parts and not enough lower price range parts, make it a triple or dual core. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with more options that take little effort to produce.

I understand why triple cores exist (to increase yields) but didn't they do so poorly in the past that it's hardly worth the expense of marketing/packaging them at all?

I understand why triple cores exist (to increase yields) but didn't they do so poorly in the past that it's hardly worth the expense of marketing/packaging them at all?

Hey Papa,
i had read in several places that the triple cores did very well in sales. The x3 7xx line and the X3 4xxx particularly. The x3 720 for an example was a nice alternative to the likes of the E8400. I think the attraction was the extra umph for multi tasking. and some of them would unlock to a quad. Thats what I read anyway, so get the salt shaker out :)

LNCPapa said:

I have the PII X3 720 BE and I've overclocked it to 4.1ghz(just for fun, 24/7 OC is at 3.5), the 4th core wont unlock though. However, I think it makes more sense to pay a couple bucks for some packaging and take a hit on the money you make than to have a quad core that wont sell at all. IIRC, AMD only makes the quad cores and cuts them/disables them to turn them into the lower end parts. It's been a while since I've heard exactly what, how, and why they produce what they do but I'm certain it's something along those lines.

If I'm wrong someone correct me because now I'm curious....

I'd buy a triple core processor. I have a quad and I don't think I do anything that ever uses 4 cores. I'd be interested in some piece of software that could record my usage patterns and tell me I've ever benefiting from it. I can see 4 cores being used at 15% each sometimes, but I don't see how that benefits me more than a dual @ 30% each.

Back