AMD releases completed Catalyst 10.4 drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD has cut loose the latest official Catalyst driver update, bringing numerous enhancements and fixes (PDF) -- some of which you may already be enjoying with one of the 10.4 preview releases. The completed version officially squashes one bug that caused the Windows cursor to appear enlarged. Another caused Battlefield 2: Bad Company maps to load unusually slow.

It's worth mentioning that the BFBC2 fix only applies to Radeon 5000-series graphics cards. Folks with older Radeons will have to wait until a future release or install the Catalyst 10.4a preview driver. Catalyst 10.4 also resolves glitches in the Catalyst Control Center, Adobe Flash Player, Alien vs. Predator, Empire: Total War, Napoleon: Total War, NecroVision, The Chronicles of Riddick 2, and more.

As for the performance improvements, you can expect a 3% to 6% boost on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky when playing on Radeon HD 5700, 5800 or 5970 products. Also, H.264 level 5.1 is now supported, the ATI Video converter has been added to the advanced view of the CCC, and enhanced support for the Windows 7 Drag and Drop video converter has been added.

Download: Windows XP | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista | Windows Vista 64-bit | Windows 7 | Windows 7 64-bit

Permalink to story.

Does this new driver improve 2D performance? They still have a lot of work there (including nvidia).

I had read that this release was going to have 2D performance improvements, however I did not see any reference to that in the 10.4 release notes.

There is mention in issues resolved for windows 7:
Performance on 2D applications and benchmarks has now been fixed

Well, i don't about this update, my friend had a 5870 and when he updated, he could not able to run a single game properly, it just wouldn't load.

No problems like that here.
Radeon 5770 though.
Played Dragon Age for hours and no problem at all.

i have problems about this update. I can't load the CCC when I launch it... Any ideas?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back