AMD reveals Ryzen 9 7945X3D processor for gamers, first 3D V-Cache for laptops

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? AMD has expanded its Dragon Range CPU portfolio with the unveiling of the Ryzen 9 7945X3D laptop processor at this year's ChinaJoy expo. The company already offers the Zen 4-based Ryzen 7045 CPUs for high-end laptops, but the new chip comes with extended L3 cache that is especially suited for gaming.

The Ryzen 9 7945HX3D is AMD's first mobile CPU with 3D V-Cache technology, but there's no word on whether the company would expand the lineup with more SKUs in the future. For now, the 7945HX3D joins AMD's current lineup of desktop replacement-class mobile CPUs and serves as its new flagship mobile processor.

The technical specifications of the Ryzen 9 7945HX3D were leaked earlier this week, and the official spec sheet now suggests that the leaked information was right on the money. Based on the Zen 4 architecture, the new chip features 16 cores and 32 threads, with a base clock of 2.3 GHz and a maximum boost clock of 5.4 GHz. While the base clock is 200 MHz lower than that of the vanilla 7945HX, the turbo speed is only a little shy of AMD's fastest desktop chips.

The crowning glory of the new chip, however, is its additional L3 cache, and plenty of it. The Ryzen 9 7945HX3D comes with a massive 128MB of L3 cache, including 96MB on the V-Cache CCD and 32MB on the other CCD. Apart from the additional cache, AMD also says that the 7945HX3D will have lower maximum operating temperature than the 7945HX. While the latter has a max operating temperature of up to 100 degrees Celsius, the new chip is expected to stay within the 89-degree mark.

AMD claims that the Ryzen 9 7945HX3D will be 15 percent faster than the existing 7945HX on average. Gamers will benefit even more, with the new chip expected to see up to 23 percent improvement in games, compared the regular 7945HX. However, users will only get the maximum performance when the CPU is locked to 40W TDP, while lowering the power draw to 70W will reduce the performance to just about 11 percent above the 7945HX.

In terms of availability, AMD says that the new processor will be exclusive to the Asus ROG Scar 17 X3D laptop, at least for now. The new laptop will come with RTX 4090 graphics and is likely to cost a pretty penny once it's officially available for purchase from August 22.

Permalink to story.

Keep on dumb strategy or more consumption and perfs on laptops are what are looking for consumers ? When they did series U we thought they would work more for less consumption with perfs to compete against arm but they continue with same consumption or more .Just a confession of staying on the same spot waiting for 3nm .
More over , adding 3D cache is to play or to work ? This 7945 HX 3D is with 610 M radeon GPU . AMD is turning blue-green with their marketing ?

Keep on dumb strategy or more consumption and perfs on laptops are what are looking for consumers ? When they did series U we thought they would work more for less consumption with perfs to compete against arm but they continue with same consumption or more .Just a confession of staying on the same spot waiting for 3nm .
More over , adding 3D cache is to play or to work ? This 7945 HX 3D is with 610 M radeon GPU . AMD is turning blue-green with their marketing ?
This CPU has lower power draw than the non X3D one.

why the big iGPU? small form factor PC?
It would be useful for laptops, especially if you want to keep the cost and energy usage down (who doesn't?). I'll admit it wouldn't matter so much for full size PC's but the article was about AMD releasing a new laptop CPU.

It would be useful for laptops, especially if you want to keep the cost and energy usage down (who doesn't?). I'll admit it wouldn't matter so much for full size PC's but the article was about AMD releasing a new laptop CPU.
For laptops that can use a big a iGPU we are getting the Strix Point Halo APU with RDNA 3.5 next year. Rumours say that it will have 40 the gpu cores (CU) and the current laptop APUs have 12.

Last edited:
For laptops that can use a big a iGPU we are getting the Strix Point Halo APU with RDNA 3.5 next year. Rumours say that it will have 40 the gpu cores (CU) and the current laptop APUs have 12.
I suspect most people don't want huge core counts as they just add to the price and reduce battery life while most of the cores just sit there unused. A 6 core/12 thread CPU would have a much wider appeal and the X3D cache would also add to the performance while not badly affecting battery life. I'd obviously want the the latest RDNA iGPU, whatever that is.

Obviously it's different if you sit there all day doing video editing on your laptop but how many of us do? If I was that type of user then I'd probably want to off load the processing onto a compatible dedicated GPU rather than rely on 40 laptop cores.

I'm sure there's a use case for this 7945X3D CPU somewhere but no game requires 40 cores and, if you're paying for an expensive CPU, surely you'd want a dedicated laptop GPU? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect most people don't want huge core counts as they just add to the price and reduce battery life while most of the cores just sit there unused. A 6 core/12 thread CPU would have a much wider appeal and the X3D cache would also add to the performance while not badly affecting battery life. I'd obviously want the the latest RDNA iGPU, whatever that is.

Obviously it's different if you sit there all day doing video editing on your laptop but how many of us do? If I was that type of user then I'd probably want to off load the processing onto a compatible dedicated GPU rather than rely on 40 laptop cores.

I'm sure there's a use case for this 7945X3D CPU somewhere but no game requires 40 cores and, if you're paying for an expensive CPU, surely you'd want a dedicated laptop GPU? It just doesn't make sense to me.
that's just the top end and it should top at 120W. there will be smaller core counts.

fyi: I can use such a laptop. it's a great workstation replacement that also has good battery life and is light enough to travel comfortably with it.

I can use such a laptop. it's a great workstation replacement that also has good battery life and is light enough to travel comfortably with it.
I guess it depends on what you're doing on your workstation replacement. If it's a graphics application then it might be well worth checking if the application can make use of GPU processing (and note which GPUs) as this would usually be faster than getting a better CPU. The amount of memory is obviously also important. Using a PCIe SSD rather than M.2 might also speed things up.

Another option might be to use your laptop to e your existing workstation as a "remote desktop". That means you could have a light laptop but keep all the power of a desktop. It also depends on whether your work allows this (and you have a desktop workstation to log onto).

I guess it depends on what you're doing on your workstation replacement. If it's a graphics application then it might be well worth checking if the application can make use of GPU processing (and note which GPUs) as this would usually be faster than getting a better CPU. The amount of memory is obviously also important. Using a PCIe SSD rather than M.2 might also speed things up.

Another option might be to use your laptop to e your existing workstation as a "remote desktop". That means you could have a light laptop but keep all the power of a desktop. It also depends on whether your work allows this (and you have a desktop workstation to log onto).
Not really an option for me when traveling since I also like to do some light gaming when I can find the time to do so.

I will be going to Eve Online Fanfest in Iceland this September and I would love for my laptop to be 1kg lighter and more powerful at the same time :)

Back