AMD Ryzen 5 1600 vs Intel Core i7-7800X: 30 Game Battle!

This is incredible. Thanks for wasting so many hours for us mortals. The results speak for themselves. It should shut up anyone who says that AMD is 30-40% behind Intel in games.
I must admit that I never expected AMD to close the gap so much. Sub 10% when both are OCed? 13% at stock clocks? It's equal to the 7800x? Amazing results.

Great article etc, but the most mind boggling to me was why you chose i7 vs R5? they are kinda different tier CPU's. Why not i5 vs R5 or i7 vs R7?

Great article etc, but the most mind boggling to me was why you chose i7 vs R5? they are kinda different tier CPU's. Why not i5 vs R5 or i7 vs R7?
The author was first and foremost trying to test a 6 core AMD CPU vs a 6 core Intel CPU and added the 7700k because it's the best one for gaming. The CPU tiers are irrelevant because we don't have multiple choices for 6 core systems.

This is incredible. Thanks for wasting so many hours for us mortals. The results speak for themselves. It should shut up anyone who says that AMD is 30-40% behind Intel in games.
I must admit that I never expected AMD to close the gap so much. Sub 10% when both are OCed? 13% at stock clocks? It's equal to the 7800x? Amazing results.

X299 has performance issues, it's completely new. This is why 7800X at 4.7 loses to 7700K stock. Ryzen have had most issues ironed out by now. 7700K still dominate gaming performance.

X299 has performance issues, it's completely new. This is why 7800X at 4.7 loses to 7700K stock. Ryzen have had most issues ironed out by now. 7700K still dominate gaming performance.

I don't think that is the case. Skylake-X has a restructured cache design that's no great for gaming, well at least when compare to the mainstream Skylake/Kabylake architectures.

Others have hit the nail on the head, wanted a 6-core vs. 6-core comparison, 8-cores are overkill for gaming right now. I don't recommend the 1700 over the 1600 for gaming.

Maybe, but still. It's like comparing Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model S ... just because they both have 4 wheels. and 6 wheels would be overkill :D

Good thing you didn't compare them to some 6 core mobile phone. ... because 6 cores. ;)

But yes, you are right. R5 1600 is a very good choice for gamers and budget builders.

Last edited:

Others have hit the nail on the head, wanted a 6-core vs. 6-core comparison, 8-cores are overkill for gaming right now. I don't recommend the 1700 over the 1600 for gaming.

Maybe, but still. It's like comparing Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model S ... just because they both have 4 wheels. and 6 wheels would be overkill :D

Good thing you didn't compare them to some 6 core mobile phone. ... because 6 cores. ;)

Ohh yeah, do the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S deliver the same performance now? I don't review cars but this doesn't sound right.

This looks so good for the 1600, but for some god damned odd reason, I truly hesitate to jump to AMD. And believe me, I won't. Why such diffidence? How can I fight the scruples?

Wow. Thanks for doing all this work. It's astonishing to see these results, to be honest... I am pretty sure it has been at least 7 years since I saw something like this with AMD neck and neck with Intel for games. And WOW Skylake-X is an awful platform for gamers. I am left wondering what my eventual gaming rig upgrade from my 5930k ought to be...

In my country Ryzen 5 1600 is $150 cheaper than i7-7700k. For 9% difference Intel is a big no.

Wow. Thanks for doing all this work. It's astonishing to see these results, to be honest... I am pretty sure it has been at least 7 years since I saw something like this with AMD neck and neck with Intel for games. And WOW Skylake-X is an awful platform for gamers. I am left wondering what my eventual gaming rig upgrade from my 5930k ought to be...
you will be fine at least another 2 generations.

Ohh yeah, does the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S deliver the same performance now? I don't review cars but this doesn't sound right.
To play devil's advocate - both are capable of providing the same performance on all roads when legality is taken into consideration.

But yes the Tesla has the acceleration, speed, and range advantage over the Leaf. The leaf though is like a GTX 1050 and the Tesla is the 1080 Ti.

To play devil's advocate - both are capable of providing the same performance on all roads when legality is taken into consideration.

But yes the Tesla has the acceleration, speed, and range advantage over the Leaf. The leaf though is like a GTX 1050 and the Tesla is the 1080 Ti.

I'd say the difference between those two cars is still very noticeable without breaking the law, like night and day noticeable ;)

Fantastic roundup Steve. Intel has a lot of time to ride out with it's current processor marketshare if they want to continue with "business as usual", but things are going to have to change for Big Blue and quick if AMD continues to be competitive and coming to the fight on their own terms.

Good review Steve but I am going to repost my question from the Ryzen 3 simulation thread here because I still find it apt and the more I look at the Ryzen 1600 the more it reminds me of the Phenom II x6 capable but the lower IPC make for a reservation.

Very good review. Here is my reservation on Ryzen for gaming (not general use), looking at the i7-7700k vs 7800x review [link]

you see a 4/8 (real/virtual core) CPU delivering the same or better gaming performance as its 6/12 counterpart. Granted the architecture is slightly different both CPUs were OC to relative similar clock speeds for the test.

Now you look at the Ryzen 1500x & 1600 performance

[link]

[link]

Once again both CPUs are 4/8 vs 6/12 cores and are similar in clock speeds. Yet the 1600 displays a clear and distinct gaming advantage compared to the Intel test above.

you will be fine at least another 2 generations.

Of course. But reality has completely changed my expectations of where the rig would go. I built the rig thinking "Skylake-X, based on rumors, sounds like it will be a nice upgrade". Now, I'm thinking "if Intel can't get their act together, in 1-2 years I'll be moving to AMD". I think the last time I built a high end gaming rig based on AMD was back in like 2005, so this is just astonishing to me, in a good way.

Awesome job Steve. truly showing that Rysen puppy can run with the dogs,not very fair though the Rysen having to run with a stock cooler and a 360.00 dollar custom loop to get the i7 to go flatout.did you try the custom loop on the risen just too see how much further it could go? ,maybe little Rysen can kick some azz,with some decent cooling,just sayin,though I haven't heard of it breaking any records.

Its Still Intel/Nvidia FTW. my 3930 k @ 4.2 gig and gtx 1080 Extreme Gaming, is right there with with your framerates ,World of Tanks I push 120 frms consistently,Maxed, 3 years old now and still no need for an upgrade ,maybe the second 1080 when it prices right, hope they pay you well,take some kit home? the EYES must be bugging out after that much gaming.lol

Last edited:
Man, I cant seem to match this performance with my 1600, Im running 3200mhz ram too that is being detected and performing as it should...

Back