AMD Ryzen 5 7600X Review: Mainstream Zen 4

Hi, thanks for the article. In the future .. please start posting HIGHEST all-die TEMPS hit during each benchmark..

It would be help to know and see the temps for building workstations given that INTEL and AMD both just uncorked the genie by not caring about temps anymore and only caring about ''top cou speed'' at ant (thermal) cost.

Strange decision to have 10th gen in charts and say we skip 11th calling it flop when in your latest cpu-focused feature review (Spider-man) it was easily holding its ground against zen 3 series and being ahead of 10th gen with measurable margin.

The platform cost certainly reduces the value against older parts but if AM5 is still around in 2027 then the extra money is worth the investment.

You have to think of the value from that viewpoint. You can buy the basis of a system that could serve you for the next seven or eight years comfortably with a drop in CPU upgrade halfway in. That's got to be worth the extra money to get onto AM5 and DDR5 for people like me who like to hold onto their systems.

Did people learn nothing from socket AM4? AMD promised "support until 2020" then tried to back out TWICE, once on 3000 support for 300 series boards, then again for 5000 series support on both 300 and 400 series boards. It took mass public backlash and for the poor 300 series boards over half a year of waiting to get BETA AGESA code.

So when AMD says support until 2025, I can guarantee that in 2 years we'll be seeing the same behavior from AMD of trying to lock out older chipsets and "oh well we meant the socket not the chipset" BS from them.

The perf itself looks nice, but those temps are just crazy. Hitting 95c on an AIO means anyone who wants water cooling or a smaller case is likely to see little to no perf gain over zen 3 due to clock throttling with zen 4.

Hi, thanks for the article. In the future .. please start posting HIGHEST all-die TEMPS hit during each benchmark..

It would be help to know and see the temps for building workstations given that INTEL and AMD both just uncorked the genie by not caring about temps anymore and only caring about ''top cou speed'' at ant (thermal) cost.
This is a beast CPU at $300. Now about temperatures, if a AIO Pure Loop 2 FX 360 hit 94 celsius..... Other review's are using Noctua NH-U14S with PBO enabled and 88 celsius max.

Y’all even read? The chip is designed to run at 95 degrees at all times. If it isn’t at 95 degrees it will overclock until it reaches 95 degrees. Please read. Thanks.

Y’all even read? The chip is designed to run at 95 degrees at all times. If it isn’t at 95 degrees it will overclock until it reaches 95 degrees. Please read. Thanks.
I read that AMD statement about this.......what can they say: it's not a bug it's a feature.
This is a nice toaster, indeed a nice toaster.

It is really nice piece of technology. Sure, it is best to wait a few months for better choice of MB and ram, but as it is, it is very solid debut of a new platform.
Sure the initial investment have to be higher than AM4 but that's given. In long run, it will be as affordable and consumer friendly as predecessor.
I'm very happy to see solid performance and utilisation. Now let's hope AMD will show something similarly nice with new GPU's ;)

The gaming performance is great and this is not even the v-cache chips, it beats the 5800X3D in the 12 game average and competes right up alongside the 12900K and this is the 7600X! However, there still is very little reason to upgrade from the 5800X that I currently have on the gaming front. I have 4k monitor and 4k television and so I don't really run into CPU bottlenecks. Probably upgrade with Ryzen gen 6 or 7.

Did people learn nothing from socket AM4? AMD promised "support until 2020" then tried to back out TWICE, once on 3000 support for 300 series boards, then again for 5000 series support on both 300 and 400 series boards. It took mass public backlash and for the poor 300 series boards over half a year of waiting to get BETA AGESA code

So when AMD says support until 2025, I can guarantee that in 2 years we'll be seeing the same behavior from AMD of trying to lock out older chipsets and "oh well we meant the socket not the chipset" BS from them.

The perf itself looks nice, but those temps are just crazy. Hitting 95c on an AIO means anyone who wants water cooling or a smaller case is likely to see little to no perf gain over zen 3 due to clock throttling with zen 4.
AMD did not promise support for AM4 until 2020. They also didn't promise every new CPU will work on every AM4 motherboard.

Again, with AM5, AMD does not promise every CPU will work on every AM5 motherboard.

I cannot see any problem with 95 degrees.

Good chip, but a high cost of entry onto the platform.

If I were looking to pair one of these with an RTX 4000 GPU, I could be looking at the additional cost of moving to DDR5 and potentially a new and rather expensive PSU.

20-40% faster than the 5600X .... but at the cost of an extra 75w power draw. What happened to the increased power efficiency AMD promised?

EDIT: has anyone seen undervolting results with this chip yet?

Last edited:
Why only 1080 gaming tests? Nvidia has always had a slight advantage in higher Rez gaming. Why not 1440/2K results? How does it scale up when the resolution gets higher?

The question to go Zen 4 is a bit of a mixed bag. If you have a system, I'm not so sure it makes sense to upgrade to Zen 4 unless you're willing to scrap most of what you have. If you're starting with a blank page, it may make sense, but you will be putting in more money up front. New mobo, new (expensive) DDR5 RAM and likely a new PSU.

With Intel, you have some options. If you're running LGA1400 you can wait for 13th gen. If you're upgrading from LGA1200 you could leverage your DDR4, and probably keep your 750-850W PSU (unless you want to jump to 3090 or 40 series).

I guess we will have to see what Intel comes up with and what the new AMD GPUs look like.

20-40% faster than the 5600X .... but at the cost of an extra 75w power draw. What happened to the increased power efficiency AMD promised?

PCWorld and Anandtech both had 7950x metrics from 65w eco mode. The 7950x was still slightly outpacing a stock 12900k in CB23 multi and the single thread was unchanged at 5.7+.

The 105w eco mode was about 10% slower than the full chip at about 66% the power draw.

And btw in a few months we will get 650 mb which will additionally reduce the price.

Undervolting seems to be good on these CPUs. Some managed to drop under 200W for the big CPUs with similar perf. Not so sure about the 7600x, but I'm assuming that it has a similar drop percentage wise.

While I'm always interested in seeing what comes out next, I do have to say that maybe my enthusiasm towards new hardware has waned and I feel this current new generation is kind of meh.

Sure, the Nvidia 40x0 series is coming out and shows some kind of performance increase, but it doesn't impress me. My needs are met and exceeded with a 3080.

Same goes for the AMD 7x00 series here, yeah, the CPUs offer performance increases over the 5x00 CPUs, but what my 5900X does, it exceeds my needs.

Or maybe I'm just not impressed because I don't have that "need to upgrade" itch anymore with my current system?

At least I can waste time reading over the reviews from sites while things are slow at work, so I've got that going for me.

I still prefer cpus with integrated gpu. That convenience of simply switching when something happens to your dedicated gpu is very nice.

Looking forward to see the video, thanks Steve.

Meanwhile....

bd5e07eaaa1a69eaad755c08221a3c546f42e7519c62029f2f81d68c6187d007.jpg

Back