AMD Ryzen 7 5700 Review: A Scammy CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought this review started a little harsh, but then as I saw your benchmarks and looked at the current price of the CPU I agree. What the ______ were they thinking? If the price was SIGNIFICANTLY less, it wouldn't look so bad but as it stands it is a terrible deal and I'd say even misleading considering a Ryzen 5 5600 outperforms it.

I want to see more office benchmarks. This isn't GameSpot. It's Techspot. I do mainly work, and game occasionally. Would LOVE to see extreme Excel recalculation speeds. I have some spreadsheets that make me have to wait for sometimes 15 to 30 seconds for a recalc when I refresh the databases, on my 5950x with 64gigs RAM, Gen 4 M.4 SSD (basic specs that matter) system.

I want to see more office benchmarks. This isn't GameSpot. It's Techspot. I do mainly work, and game occasionally. Would LOVE to see extreme Excel recalculation speeds. I have some spreadsheets that make me have to wait for sometimes 15 to 30 seconds for a recalc when I refresh the databases, on my 5950x with 64gigs RAM, Gen 4 M.4 SSD (basic specs that matter) system.

Steve decided not to test productivity in this review, I imagine because they are all nearly identical to the 5700G:

But here's a couple of data points we do have:

CB_Single.png

CB_Multi.png

I do mainly work, and game occasionally. Would LOVE to see extreme Excel recalculation speeds.
at (almost) the same price as the 5700X, this cpu is unlikely to have a good place in the eyes of gamers..
and by increasing the budget a little more, we can get a 7600X which is even better for productivity, and, of course, gaming...

50/100 because Steve totally forgot this piece of silicon is monolithic design, instead MCM like "normal" 5700X. Therefore power consumption is also much lower.

But yeah, power consumption means nothing today "(y) (Y)"

At first I thought this review started a little harsh, but then as I saw your benchmarks and looked at the current price of the CPU I agree. What the ______ were they thinking? If the price was SIGNIFICANTLY less, it wouldn't look so bad but as it stands it is a terrible deal and I'd say even misleading considering a Ryzen 5 5600 outperforms it.

But the 5700 is faster than the 5600, if you look beyond gaming. And uses less power. That alone makes it not a scammy processor, just a processor that has a niche it is more suited for than solely gaming.

I won't lie, half-a*rsed reviews like this, that seem targetted just to get the outrage (and hence clicks) going, are turning me off TechSpot. And it isn't a "they are picking on my favourite company X's product" thing, but rather a 'I wanted a balanced review with lots of data to form my own opinion with', and increasingly TechSpot doesn't provide that. Instead you get something like this review, that has a very strong 'angle' it is pushing, a very limited amount of data that supports that angle, and then a conclusion devoid of any sort of balance and instead maximum quantity of outrage. It gets kinda tiring, and if I leave a review with more questions than answers then the review has kinda failed at achieving what reviews are supposed to achieve.

Having used an Athlon II X4 620, the large difference it performance smells like AMD hasn't accurately advertised the chip's design and you're losing more than just 16mb of L3 cache

Steve decided not to test productivity in this review, I imagine because they are all nearly identical to the 5700G:

But here's a couple of data points we do have:

View attachment 89470

View attachment 89471

Power:

View attachment 89472

Power consumption in Baldur's Gate needs to be explained. Almost 100W difference between 5700 and 5700x systems? How they performed in this title? I mean average fps and 1% lows.

Power consumption in Baldur's Gate needs to be explained. Almost 100W difference between 5700 and 5700x systems? How they performed in this title? I mean average fps and 1% lows.

Hmm, not sure. Maybe there's a reason he didn't publish that graph, different test conditions or something else.

But the 5700 is faster than the 5600, if you look beyond gaming. And uses less power. That alone makes it not a scammy processor, just a processor that has a niche it is more suited for than solely gaming.

I won't lie, half-a*rsed reviews like this, that seem targetted just to get the outrage (and hence clicks) going, are turning me off TechSpot. And it isn't a "they are picking on my favourite company X's product" thing, but rather a 'I wanted a balanced review with lots of data to form my own opinion with', and increasingly TechSpot doesn't provide that. Instead you get something like this review, that has a very strong 'angle' it is pushing, a very limited amount of data that supports that angle, and then a conclusion devoid of any sort of balance and instead maximum quantity of outrage. It gets kinda tiring, and if I leave a review with more questions than answers then the review has kinda failed at achieving what reviews are supposed to achieve.

It's not a review but some humble opinion. It should have been posted without 50 out of 100 mark, in my opinion. 5700 performs identical to 5700g, and therefore deserves to wear 5700 model rank. Whatever suffix it carries, it is suspicious anyway.

It's not a review but some humble opinion. It should have been posted without 50 out of 100 mark, in my opinion. 5700 performs identical to 5700g, and therefore deserves to wear 5700 model rank. Whatever suffix it carries, it is suspicious anyway.

Entirely subjective, just like our score to a certain extent. Steve doesn't do scores, I'm the one responsible for that and I stand by it. At today's pricing (which can fluctuate anytime) and the deceiving name... (G / nonX / X)

Entirely subjective, just like our score to a certain extent. Steve doesn't do scores, I'm the one responsible for that and I stand by it. At today's pricing (which can fluctuate anytime) and the deceiving name... (G / nonX / X)
Why did the 4090 laptop get an 80 when it a completely different chip and you guys avoided calling Nvidia scammy?

The reasoning is in the conclusion of that article. I suggest you go and read it.

I read the conclusion and can't reconcile why you pretty gave nvidia a pass with 4080 laptop chip being called a 4090.

From the 4090 review
"seems clear that part of the reason why Nvidia has named this GPU the "RTX 4090" is to allow OEMs to give it price parity with similar desktop configurations... But in this size of laptop and the absurd prices we're looking at, it's hard to recommend to most gamers."

Nvidia scamming consumers but hey here's 80/100. I suggest you read your own reviews. If you're gonna ding companies you should do it consistently.

Last edited:
I read the conclusion and can't reconcile why you pretty gave nvidia a pass with 4080 laptop chip being called a 4090.

From the 4090 review
"seems clear that part of the reason why Nvidia has named this GPU the "RTX 4090" is to allow OEMs to give it price parity with similar desktop configurations... But in this size of laptop and the absurd prices we're looking at, it's hard to recommend to most gamers."

That is only part of the conclusion. The naming is one factor. Also a "50 to 60 percent performance improvements compared to the previous leader" has to have some weight.

"it's one of the largest (gains) we can remember for laptops and it's doubly so when these gains were seen without any increase to GPU power."
Also a factor.

We could go back and forth about bits and pieces of what we said in the conclusion of this or other reviews. Ultimately it seems you are not so much bothered by the testing or the conclusions but the score. And that's fine, we decide to make that call taking the whole thing into consideration. It's not a perfect system and I know we won't please everybody, nor are we trying to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back