AMD Ryzen 7 5800X vs. Intel Core i7-10700K vs. Core i7-11700K

When I do build another gaming computer, it will be after we have DDR5 with matching motherboards and I'll probably have a 13th or 14th gen Intel Core Extreme of that time.

We may even have RTX 4000 by then.

Thus far, I've been supremely happy using Intel Core i9 Extreme with Nvidia 3090.

If I did need to buy a gaming PC right now, I'd definitely take the 10700, but I'd probably go for the 10900

These reviews are way too game-centric. Most differences are within margin of error. Add some production benchmarks to the test, because these charts don't draw a realistic picture of the difference in performance between these CPUs at all.

When I do build another gaming computer, it will be after we have DDR5 with matching motherboards and I'll probably have a 13th or 14th gen Intel Core Extreme of that time.

We may even have RTX 4000 by then.

Thus far, I've been supremely happy using Intel Core i9 Extreme with Nvidia 3090.

If I did need to buy a gaming PC right now, I'd definitely take the 10700, but I'd probably go for the 10900

Are you using Skylake X? If so which model?

Good point that you mention the mainboard cost. While the 10700F is an attractive deal, total cost matters. Here, the price difference between a 10700F and a 5800x is € 100, but if I were to go for the 10th gen core route I might as well get a cheap B450 or B550 sub €100 EUR board with the 5800X and make up most of the price difference via the lower mainboard cost, the rest via lower PSU and cooling demands / cost.

Note: The 11700KF only costs €18 more than the F, so the difference may be worth it for the better bin alone.

Pricing and parts availability obviously differs by country / market, so total cost may be different for others

The win goes to Intel really as its practically the same but a lot cheaper. I definitely should have bought a 10700K over a 5800X. I would have 150 more British pounds in my bank if I did and the performance difference would not have been noticed.

It might sound odd but my new ipad pro with an M1 is impressing me more than my 5800X. The M1 is a lot faster at loading web pages than my massive gaming tower with the 5800X in it, more than twice as fast actually. The Ryzen system is certainly faster at mastering video edits but not by much and considering I reckon I could fit 50 ipad pros inside my gaming tower im still more impressed by the ipad.

After seeing all the benchmarks for the M1 on mobile its hard to get excited about these enormous X86 parts.

Well done AMD, you beat Intel. But I dont think you saw Apple coming.

It might sound odd but my new ipad pro with an M1 is impressing me more than my 5800X. The M1 is a lot faster at loading web pages than my massive gaming tower with the 5800X in it, more than twice as fast actually. The Ryzen system is certainly faster at mastering video edits but not by much and considering I reckon I could fit 50 ipad pros inside my gaming tower im still more impressed by the ipad.

After seeing all the benchmarks for the M1 on mobile its hard to get excited about these enormous X86 parts.

Well done AMD, you beat Intel. But I dont think you saw Apple coming.

Not odd just totally irrelevant to the topic at hand. There is no M1 in this review because no one plays games on it, and twice as fast web browser also sounds not believable. And the fact that you take every opportunity to bash the AMD system you "own" just to be pro intel /. Nvidia is kinda funny.

Not odd just totally irrelevant to the topic at hand. There is no M1 in this review because no one plays games on it, and twice as fast web browser also sounds not believable. And the fact that you take every opportunity to bash the AMD system you "own" just to be pro intel /. Nvidia is kinda funny.
Thats not actually true, not even 10% of my comments are "bashing" AMD. But you have an emotional attachment to AMD and so you are probably quite sensitive and only see those posts.

But the results here are clear as day, the significantly cheaper Intel part performs about the same as the Ryzen part. Making the Intel part the better buy. Are you ok with this? Do you need emotional support?

And the M1 is somewhat irrelevant. But I dont care, Techspot havent done a comparison between a Ryzen system and an Apple M1 based system, like many other tech journalists. Otherwise id comment there. But not all of us buy silicon exclusively to game.

It's all good, but Zen 3 has some serious USB-related issues, across all X570 and B550 boards. AMD did release an update, but it didn't really fix it properly. People are still talking about issues of using keyboard, mouse often disconnecting. That's not what you'd want from a new system. I'd rather go for what is reliable than better performing.

Last edited:
It's all good, but Zen 3 has some serious USB-related issues, across all X570 and B550 board. AMD did release an update, but it didn't really fix it properly. People are still talking about issues of using keyboard, mouse often disconnecting. That's not what you'd want from a new system. I'd rather go for what is reliable than better performing.

I have a ASUS ROG STRIX Z 490 - E Gaming and a Core i9 10850K and I've had that issue too....... it's not just AMD

Thats not actually true, not even 10% of my comments are "bashing" AMD. But you have an emotional attachment to AMD and so you are probably quite sensitive and only see those posts.

But the results here are clear as day, the significantly cheaper Intel part performs about the same as the Ryzen part. Making the Intel part the better buy. Are you ok with this? Do you need emotional support?

And the M1 is somewhat irrelevant. But I dont care, Techspot havent done a comparison between a Ryzen system and an Apple M1 based system, like many other tech journalists. Otherwise id comment there. But not all of us buy silicon exclusively to game.
Not even 10% of my comments are bashing AMD?

I'm sure most of the posters would highly disagree with this.

I paid $250 to upgrade to a 5800X why would I care what a comet lake Intel cpu cost? Do you need emotional support?

Last edited:
It's all good, but Zen 3 has some serious USB-related issues, across all X570 and B550 board. AMD did release an update, but it didn't really fix it properly. People are still talking about issues of using keyboard, mouse often disconnecting. That's not what you'd want from a new system. I'd rather go for what is reliable than better performing.

I'm using a patched bios and no usb issues here. In fact since december of 2019 I didn't have any issue at all except for my corsair mouse but that was resolved with the last bios.

I see a bit of a contradiction here. This article states that:
"Then, of course, when going down that path you could opt for the significantly cheaper $170 Core i5-10400. Sure, it’s a bit slower than the 5600X, but it’s also almost half the price and will deliver maximum performance on any B560 motherboard, though entry-level boards might limit your future upgrade options."
Now, if you click on the i5-10400, it brings you to another article (also written by Steve) talking about the combination of the i5-10400 and the Radeon RX 6800. However, that article says:
"Initially we thought the discounted Core i5-10400F would be the better buy, but after a complete analysis it turns out it's at best offering the same level of value as the Ryzen 5 3600.

The 3600 benefits from a superior upgrade path, support for PCIe 4.0 and overclocking B and X-series motherboards, so ultimately we think it remains the better value choice. We just can't let go that it's no longer available at an attractive discount (see our price tracker chart for more), but that’s the world we live in right now."

Now, I don't think that Steve is being disingenuous because I've found Steve to be impeccably honest in his reviews. However, I would point out that the R5-3600 is still available and would still be a better choice than the i5-10400 because while the 10400 is slightly faster in games overall, it's only really at 1080p and the difference is extremely mild (with the exception of Hitman 2, but the R5-3600 still offers a minimum framerate of 93fps, more than enough for the vast majority of displays).

Meanwhile, the R5-3600 is a bit less expensive than the i5-10400, offers a much more attractive upgrade path and, unlike the i5-10400, it can be overclocked, even with a less expensive B550 board without having to worry about power management issues present in several of the the B460 boards (if the ASUS TUF Gaming isn't available in your region).

Not a criticism, just pointing out that there may be a better alternative than that.

Last edited:
I see a bit of a contradiction here. This article states that:
"Then, of course, when going down that path you could opt for the significantly cheaper $170 Core i5-10400. Sure, it’s a bit slower than the 5600X, but it’s also almost half the price and will deliver maximum performance on any B560 motherboard, though entry-level boards might limit your future upgrade options."
Now, if you click on the i5-10400, it brings you to another article (also written by Steve) talking about the combination of the i5-10400 and the Radeon RX 6800. However, that article says:
"Initially we thought the discounted Core i5-10400F would be the better buy, but after a complete analysis it turns out it's at best offering the same level of value as the Ryzen 5 3600.

The 3600 benefits from a superior upgrade path, support for PCIe 4.0 and overclocking B and X-series motherboards, so ultimately we think it remains the better value choice. We just can't let go that it's no longer available at an attractive discount (see our price tracker chart for more), but that’s the world we live in right now."

Now, I don't think that Steve is being disingenuous because I've found Steve to be impeccably honest in his reviews. However, I would point out that the R5-3600 is still available and would still be a better choice than the i5-10400 because while the 10400 is slightly faster in games overall, it's only really at 1080p and the difference is extremely mild (with the exception of Hitman 2, but the R5-3600 still offers a minimum framerate of 93fps, more than enough for the vast majority of displays).

Meanwhile, the R5-3600 is a bit less expensive than the i5-10400, offers a much more attractive upgrade path and, unlike the i5-10400, it can be overclocked, even with a less expensive B550 board without having to worry about power management issues present in several of the the B460 boards (if the ASUS TUF Gaming isn't available in your region).

Not a criticism, just pointing out that there may be a better alternative than that.

Prices change over time and with that so do recommendations and opinions.

Since publishing that article in January the Ryzen 5 3600 has increased in price by $15 while the 10400F has become $30 cheaper. We've also received B560 motherboards that enabled memory overclocking for parts like the 10400F.

"Meanwhile, the R5-3600 is a bit less expensive than the i5-10400"

Compare with the 10400F which is $40 cheaper than the R5 3600 right now. My article was also specifically about the F variant.

Last edited:
Good article.

One of the best features of the 5800x is the ability to backfit it into a B450 or X470 board. There are literally millions of them out there, and with a simple cpu upgrade, they can hang with the best.

When I upgrade to Zen 4, my 5800x will go to either my wife or to my daughter. Both are huge gamers. Intel processors have zero gaming value for them. After that, the 5800x will probably end up in the mini-itx box in the garage. These AMD processors have extreme long term value.

I Have a 9900k,9700k, and 5800x and I cant honestly see much difference in games between them unless I swap GPUs

I just picked up a 5800X because I couldn't find a 5900X for a sane price. Not gonna lie, I didn't even think about the upgrade path, but now the option to later flip it and get a 5950X when the prices normalize sounds pretty sweet, and I think I might have made the right choice.

When will you add 11700F at 125w "Max power limit / Gear 1" and with CL16 / 3600 MHz RAM to the comparison? :)

Edit: on a B560 board of course!

Prices change over time and with that so do recommendations and opinions.

Since publishing that article in January the Ryzen 5 3600 has increased in price by $15 while the 10400F has become $30 cheaper. We've also received B560 motherboards that enabled memory overclocking for parts like the 10400F.

"Meanwhile, the R5-3600 is a bit less expensive than the i5-10400"

Compare with the 10400F which is $40 cheaper than the R5 3600 right now. My article was also specifically about the F variant.
Well.... that's embarrassing, but you're 100% correct. Forget I said anything and I'll go hang my head in shame.

- The problem with being an evil genius is that I'm stoopid :laughing:

It's all good, but Zen 3 has some serious USB-related issues, across all X570 and B550 boards. AMD did release an update, but it didn't really fix it properly. People are still talking about issues of using keyboard, mouse often disconnecting. That's not what you'd want from a new system. I'd rather go for what is reliable than better performing.

It's not the CPU that has USB issues but the Mobo and firmware and Agesa as even my older R7 3700X and Asus Strix X570 F-Gaming had the issue until a bios update with AGESA 1202 fixed it

" The big wins for AMD includes better power efficiency and a superior platform that’s supported by a better range of affordable motherboards and an upgrade path to 12 and even 16-core processors."

The Intel fan club never thinks that far ahead.

Till they realize, too late as usual, the next Intel means a new MOBO and they're skrooged again by Intel

Back