AMD Ryzen 7000X3D CPUs are burning out for no apparent reason

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Some AMD Ryzen 7000X3D CPU owners have reported problems with the chips overheating and burning up their new motherboards. While it's not yet been confirmed, the issue is suspected to be related to the mobo BIOS.

We're big fans of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, praising the 3D V-Cache CPU for its speed and power efficiency. But not everyone is enjoying AMD's recent release. A Redditor called Speedrookie posted that they came home to their system idling with the fans running at full and a QCode of 00 on the debug LED of their Asus ROG Strix X670-E motherboard.

Speedrookie decided to take the system apart to investigate. They discovered that the 7800X3D CPU pad was bulging. "I imagine there was just too much heat on the contacts causing the pad to expand. Not that the CPU has an internal component which exploded," they wrote.

Speedrookie added that the CPU was not overclocked, but the memory was, via the EPXO 1 profile. Nothing strenuous was running when the system was left idling, and the pins on the LGA were recessed and slightly charred. One likely important fact is that they attempted to update the BIOS to 1101 from 0922 during installation, but due to issues with EXPO profiles being unstable and not POSTing, they returned to 0922.

This wasn't an isolated incident. User Zephonix 3 compiled all the reports of AM5 motherboard and X3D chip combos burning up. While MSI boards were also affected, almost all are related to Asus X670 mobos.

Speedrookie has since updated his post, writing that AMD provided a pre-paid shipping label for the RMA while Asus offered replacements. However, these had already been sold to Steve from YouTube channel Gamers Nexus, who wanted to buy them for analysis.

Asus did say that the motherboard technically isn't warranted with AMD due to the use of EXPO.

"I have always thought of EXPO/XMP as "verified/approved" settings for memory, and not so much an overclock. Especially since the QVL reflects that. This is not the case, and in fact the rated settings also vary by CPU, so just because the QVL says 6000/30-38-38-96, does not mean that it should work across CPUs," wrote Speedrookie.

"With this in mind, as I state above, I purposely went back to a BIOS version which POSTed with EXPO which was not an approved version for X3D series CPUs and chalked this up to BIOS instability rather than a potential intention by the BIOS engineers. So for people on a similar build, I'd say just make sure to update your BIOS and forgo EXPO for the time being until we know things are stable and working as intended. The cause here is still speculative, however may be a good safety measure to take."

The BIOS does seem to be the culprit here, especially as HXL (via Tom's Hardware) tweeted that Asus just withdrew old BIOSes for several of its AMD X670-based motherboards, but some of the old BIOSes remain available for the boards.

It's noted that famed overclocked der8auer had an issue with an AMD Ryzen 7000X3D chip a few weeks ago, though he did raise the core voltage to a high level. There's also a report of Russian YouTube channel VIK-off, which usually repairs GPUs, having two motherboards from Asus and Ryzen 7000X3D AM5 CPUs in for repair that burned in the exact same spot (below), with more similarly damaged hardware on the way.

Expect to learn more about the issue soon - Gamers Nexus' investigation is likely to reveal all. In the meantime, anyone using an AMD Ryzen 7000X3D chip should probably make sure their BIOS is up to date.

Permalink to story.

Oh damn...
I have a 7800x3D incoming for a Asus B650E.
I realize that the issue looks like X670 boards primarily, but I am concerned nonetheless.

"Asus did say that the motherboard technically isn't warranted with AMD due to the use of EXPO".
Asus should provide warranty and the proper bios for 7800X3D. It is both AMD and ASUS responsibility.
A lot of people paid premium prices for Memory "certified" AMD EXPO and you say that it is not covered by warranty after the damage is done?
If you do not cover warranty, better do not sell your products until you make them compatible or stating this in red letters. Not a good move at least from Asus part.

Asus continuing with their awesome quality :)
And I bought an Asus X670E ProArt MB, so it seems that I have to be careful for bios updates or upgrading to an Ryzenn 7xxx3D processor.
Well, I'll wait at least Zen5 to consider un upgrade.

Last edited:
New products and the Beta testers brigade aka the End Users.
I say this again, don't rush to buy stuff on day1. Wait for others to get "burned".
Look's like the the burn is because the CPU wasn't properly cooled because of the cache die on top and the limits in BIOS didn't work as expected maybe.

iu

Seems that current day's level of power consumption by CPUs and GPUs is starting to pay a toll. First the 4090-issue, with connectors melting, now this one. Feels like these companies are pushing things too far right now, in a competition to be "first to market".

I am surprised these board makers haven't included a feature to allows you to upgrade or hold firm on bios with a simple selection in the existing bios. The benefits are obvious .....

Odd… Mindfactory shows a 0.00% RMA rate for the 7800X3D, the other two Zen 4 3D models are around 0.3% (5800X3D is at 0.35%).

Probably another nothingburger like the dying Radeon cards that turned out to be one repair shop having received a batch of mistreated mining cards.

Seems that current day's level of power consumption by CPUs and GPUs is starting to pay a toll. First the 4090-issue, with connectors melting, now this one. Feels like these companies are pushing things too far right now, in a competition to be "first to market".
The 7800x3d is actually very power efficient and can use upto 200 watts less than the 13900k under load which makes this all that more confusing.

Even if technically correct, I ALWAYS hated that memory profiles were considered overclocking. If it went to court I could almost guarantee any and every judge that heard that that's how it's always been would side with plaintiffs and changes would have to be made.

As for boards frying chips - that sucks. So far it looks like AMD and ASUS both are stepping up. Let's hope it continues and GN sends the boards and CPUs to the proper companies for analysis when he's done investigating.

Did you just compare this to a cable?

New products and the Beta testers brigade aka the End Users.
I say this again, don't rush to buy stuff on day1. Wait for others to get "burned".
Look's like the the burn is because the CPU wasn't properly cooled because of the cache die on top and the limits in BIOS didn't work as expected maybe.

iu
Good thing issues like this are rare so we don't all have to wait an undetermined amount of time according to you. You should have just said buy last gen stuff when new stuff comes out. That would have made more sense

Good thing issues like this are rare so we don't all have to wait an undetermined amount of time according to you. You should have just said buy last gen stuff when new stuff comes out. That would have made more sense
I wont recommend last gen (even if I got one before Zen4 release), just to wait 2-3 months after release.

How many users affected ????? I haven't found any number that would confirm such a general title for the news. The term "Several" used in reddit looks more accurate.

Last edited:
lol
So what you're saying is after 3 months the problem just goes away on its own if no one buys it during that time?
The problem don't go away by itself, just give enough time for others to get them and a fix to appear. But looking at other sites news about this issue looks like one guy overlocked the CPU until the socket has failed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/307703/...ndors-rush-bios-updates-with-voltage-limiters

And also because of UEFI firmware
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...otherboards-restricts-ryzen-7000x3d-volgtages

The CPU in question is praised for it's power-efficiency. Not that I disagree in general with your idea of increasing power draw, that's very true but not for the x3D parts.

It's an AMD issue, it apparently affects more motherboard manufacturers. Since AMD has fanboys they'll be on call to deflect and obfuscate.

I have an X670E-E and a 7800X3D the past week and I updated the BIOS to the latest one that specifies support for the X3D before I even put the CPU in the socket. You can flash it easily as long as the board has power. I assumed it to be a good idea with a brand new released CPU model.

After seeing these problems and then this article I'm very happy I did! I have the memory running at 6400 CL32 to just verify it is possible but haven't done any other tweaking yet.

Why buy an Asus board for an AMD chip? They have 99% focus on Intel and Nvidia.
Nothing new here.

I am waiting for Zen 5 for sure tho. Or next gen Intel, on Intel 4 or 20a only.
I come from the old school (ok I am old! XD) when Asus was the best motherboard brand, and I recently bought 3 asus Motherboards for Ryzen am4 and I also fix computers for a living. ALL the Asus motherboards amd work quite bad... from the cheap 520 to 550 / 670 not a single one of them recognize the correct ram speed, they all say its a 2660 mhz ram.. and you have to manually select which speed, all the way up to 8000 mhz on a 520 ddr4... LOL.... they all sometimes wont boot, get stuck on bios image, take forever to boot, wont save bios settings (for example I try to save the setting for the rgb to stay OFF when computer is off and it never stays off.. Armorycrate takes 3% of computer load with an 8 core cpu.. and with the 5700g when I installed I could only assign 2gb of ram, a few days laters I could assign 4 gb... and this is not a joke, NOW I can set it up to 16 gb and I havent updated bios... Asus is a JOKE now on Ryzen. which brand do you recomend with Ryzen? I learned my lesson and no more Asus for me..
as you can see english is not my main language... apologies for my terrible spelling.

Back