AMD Ryzen Rembrandt APUs could use an RDNA2 GPU with 12CUs

Hope AMD release RDNA2 to desktop models by next year with the edtition of DDR5 ram. This will give AMD and extra edge over nvidia, and surely shakes the GPU industry.

Hope AMD release RDNA2 to desktop models by next year with the edtition of DDR5 ram. This will give AMD and extra edge over nvidia, and surely shakes the GPU industry.
Considering DDR5 will have terrible timings and not much improved clockspeeds (compared to high-end DDR4) I don't really think it will be worth buying.

Maybe for a HTPC and for Old or Indie games only.

Considering DDR5 will have terrible timings and not much improved clockspeeds (compared to high-end DDR4) I don't really think it will be worth buying.

Maybe for a HTPC and for Old or Indie games only.
Isn't that how it always is we every new memory standard? One advantage though I would think is more efficient power draw in comparison, even if it's not initially much faster.

Isn't that how it always is we every new memory standard? One advantage though I would think is more efficient power draw in comparison, even if it's not initially much faster.

Yes always but crappy timings can hurt an APUs GPU performance alot. They scale well with fast memory + low timings.

I don't see the point in desktop APU's if you want to play other games than indie or old ones tho. Intel CPUs had a weak GPU for years in them, which will play old and indie games just fine.

Most APUs are simply too slow and when you need more power, you need to replace the entire system because motherboard and socket is probably EoL status by then. Getting a small form factor >dedicated< GPU is always better, there is tons of ITX card options. Way faster and you can upgrade it when need be.

If AMD offered APUs in the PS5 or Xbox SX range, it would be more interesting, but AMD seems to only release garbage APUs for desktop and most go OEM market only. The GPU part is simply too slow. They don't even run games well at 1080p and 60fps. Most are only good enough for 720p 60 fps or 1080p 30 fps and that is with quality settings on MEDIUM.

Yes always but crappy timings can hurt an APUs GPU performance alot. They scale well with fast memory + low timings.

I don't see the point in desktop APU's if you want to play other games than indie or old ones tho. Intel CPUs had a weak GPU for years in them, which will play old and indie games just fine.

Most APUs are simply too slow and when you need more power, you need to replace the entire system because motherboard and socket is probably EoL status by then. Getting a small form factor >dedicated< GPU is always better, there is tons of ITX card options. Way faster and you can upgrade it when need be.

If AMD offered APUs in the PS5 or Xbox SX range, it would be more interesting, but AMD seems to only release garbage APUs for desktop and most go OEM market only. The GPU part is simply too slow. They don't even run games well at 1080p and 60fps. Most are only good enough for 720p 60 fps or 1080p 30 fps and that is with quality settings on MEDIUM.
They likely think there isn't a market for it and probably reasoned they can sell more parts by keeping the APUs gimped. If they actually started releasing stronger APUs along with current GPUs, then I would probably do that exclusively. The memory being as it is, I see it's best to let the standards mature a few generations so the timings won't be the bottleneck. I've always been the ATX person and look forward to going smaller in future.

Back