AMD said to be prepping Radeon Super Resolution, an FSR alternative for "nearly" all games

nanoguy

Staff member
In context: Like Nvidia's DLSS upscaling tech, AMD's FSR requires additional effort from developers to get implemented into a game. However, Team Red might be looking to change that by making the upscaling algorithm behind FSR available via the Radeon Software for any game that can run in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Back in June, AMD launched its competitor to Nvidia’s DLSS tech in the form of FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), an open source technology that works on both AMD and Nvidia hardware as well as Intel’s upcoming Alchemist GPUs.

As our own Tim Schiesser noted in his preliminary analysis of FSR, AMD managed to come up with an upscaling solution that is good enough when playing at 4K and 1440p resolutions unless you’re using the more aggressive performance presets. It’s not capable of matching Nvidia’s DLSS 2.0 or later revisions in reproducing fine details and it suffers from more shimmering and image artifacts when in motion, but it does offer a similar increase in performance.

Half a year later, adoption is looking pretty strong with 70 current and upcoming games offering support for Team Red’s non-AI upscaling tech. However, a VideoCardz report says the company is also working on a different variant of FSR that is designed to work in “nearly all games.”

If true, this is likely being built as a response to Nvidia’s Image Scaling tool that has recently been updated to provide FSR-like image upscaling and sharpening capabilities via the Nvidia control panel. There is a catch, however — in order to use AMD’s upcoming Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) feature, you’ll need to use an RX 5000 series or newer GPU and run your game in exclusive full-screen mode.

Unlike FSR, Radeon Super Resolution won’t require developers to implement it as part of the rendering pipeline of their games, which means you won’t have to wait before you can use it in your favorite titles. The trade-off is that FSR leaves UI and in-game HUD elements at native resolution, while the new solution will just apply the upscaling algorithm to the entire video output. As a result, the image will be softer than with FSR but some people might be willing to accept that on a lower-end graphics card like the Radeon RX 5500 XT.

As usual, take this with a pinch of salt. Still, AMD is expected to announce RSR at CES 2022 alongside the Radeon RX 6500 XT and the Radeon RX 6400, so hopefully we’ll learn more soon.

Permalink to story.

Im not getting my hopes up. Im on an older Radeon RX480 and so far FSR has been useless for me. Even when playing Far Cry 6, the dynamic resolution slider achieves better results than FSR which in all games ive tried it on adds this really horrible jitter, id rather a lower framerate.

It bothers me that they call it a competitor to DLSS when it really isnt. Other tech outlets have come out and said you shouldnt compare them as DLSS offers far superior image quality and even improves image quality in a lot of games.

I've been wondering since I got my first wide-screen monitor(1440x900) why they don't have GPU upscaling. My TV upscales anything, my monitor upscale things, why not have the GPU do it? The technology has obviously existed for close to 2 decades now, why has it taken so long? If I want to reduce input lag I have to play at a screens native resolution, I can't believe it's taken this long for this to be supported on a driver level. I'm not exaggerating when I say I thought of this when I was 14 or 15.

I've been wondering since I got my first wide-screen monitor(1440x900) why they don't have GPU upscaling. My TV upscales anything, my monitor upscale things, why not have the GPU do it? The technology has obviously existed for close to 2 decades now, why has it taken so long? If I want to reduce input lag I have to play at a screens native resolution, I can't believe it's taken this long for this to be supported on a driver level. I'm not exaggerating when I say I thought of this when I was 14 or 15.

AMD GPUs can do upscaling. There's a setting in the AMD drivers for it, under the "Display" tab.

Im not getting my hopes up. Im on an older Radeon RX480 and so far FSR has been useless for me. Even when playing Far Cry 6, the dynamic resolution slider achieves better results than FSR which in all games ive tried it on adds this really horrible jitter, id rather a lower framerate.

It bothers me that they call it a competitor to DLSS when it really isnt. Other tech outlets have come out and said you shouldnt compare them as DLSS offers far superior image quality and even improves image quality in a lot of games.

you're playing a 2021 game on a mid range 2016 card...

At some point a GPU gets to be too old to even matter if it uses FSR or not, people should understand that...

If at native resolution you get 30 fps and with FSR 35 or 40 fps, does it really matter? It's still horrible fps.

When the upgrade is long past due, that's the main issue and expecting miracles from a software is very naive.

Wait to see GTX 1060 owners complain about NIS, because they are in the same position. Don't expect that to work better in their case.

At some point a GPU gets to be too old to even matter if it uses FSR or not, people should understand that...

If at native resolution you get 30 fps and with FSR 35 or 40 fps, does it really matter? It's still horrible fps.

When the upgrade is long past due, that's the main issue and expecting miracles from a software is very naive.

Wait to see GTX 1060 owners complain about NIS, because they are in the same position. Don't expect that to work better in their case.
There's a bigger difference between 35 to 40 than 60 to 999.

There's a bigger difference between 35 to 40 than 60 to 999.
It's totally subjective, actually. I refuse to play games that drop constantly under 60 fps (like even to 55 and 50s) so for me it's not playable at all at 40 or lower fps... I need the minimum fps to be 60, that's why I never look at averages, but at 1% lows.

For example besides other reasons (as in, I still expect more updates), this is one of the main reasons why I stopped my Cyberpunk 2077 play (at 70% run). I want to play it in all it's glory with RT ON and I can't do it now even with a 3070 Ti with DLSS without constantly going into the low 50s fps (you need at least a 3080 and that's for 1080p!). That is unacceptable for me, so I will wait for RDNA3 to brute force this unoptimized game then.

I played Metro Exodus EE just fine on Ultra + all the RT ON and not only did it look amazing, but ran really good at over 60fps all the time, at native resolution on an RX 6700 XT... so it can be done even now, even for AMD GPUs that have lower RT performance than Ampere. CP 77 is just badly unoptimized and dragged down by being cross-gen, among other issues.

AMD GPUs can do upscaling. There's a setting in the AMD drivers for it, under the "Display" tab.
That's GPU scaling, aspect ratio and stuff, not what he means.

It's totally subjective, actually. I refuse to play games that drop constantly under 60 fps (like even to 55 and 50s) so for me it's not playable at all at 40 or lower fps... I need the minimum fps to be 60, that's why I never look at averages, but at 1% lows.

For example besides other reasons (as in, I still expect more updates), this is one of the main reasons why I stopped my Cyberpunk 2077 play (at 70% run). I want to play it in all it's glory with RT ON and I can't do it now even with a 3070 Ti with DLSS without constantly going into the low 50s fps (you need at least a 3080 and that's for 1080p!). That is unacceptable for me, so I will wait for RDNA3 to brute force this unoptimized game then.

I played Metro Exodus EE just fine on Ultra + all the RT ON and not only did it look amazing, but ran really good at over 60fps all the time, at native resolution on an RX 6700 XT... so it can be done even now, even for AMD GPUs that have lower RT performance than Ampere. CP 77 is just badly unoptimized and dragged down by being cross-gen, among other issues.
Your standards are out of whack. You can't expect CP2077 to run at minimum 60FPS with RT on everything maxed out. Just turn RT off then, not like it's a huge difference imo. Metro Exodus is a much smaller game that is open world but it's empty open world, not much to render. Not to say CP2077 is optimized properly, probably isn't yet, but these two games are not equal. Personally, I don't like anything below 60FPS but I'm willing to give up graphical settings for FPS since graphics don't make a game for me. Though some 3rd person games I can play on 40-50FPS if they don't require quick movements.

That's GPU scaling, aspect ratio and stuff, not what he means.

Your standards are out of whack. You can't expect CP2077 to run at minimum 60FPS with RT on everything maxed out. Just turn RT off then, not like it's a huge difference imo. Metro Exodus is a much smaller game that is open world but it's empty open world, not much to render. Not to say CP2077 is optimized properly, probably isn't yet, but these two games are not equal. Personally, I don't like anything below 60FPS but I'm willing to give up graphical settings for FPS since graphics don't make a game for me. Though some 3rd person games I can play on 40-50FPS if they don't require quick movements.
Considering that the best feature of CP 77 is the maxed out graphics, I don't think my standards are out of whack for that game. It's not the best game, the gameplay is also not stellar, so the biggest strong point is it's graphics, and unless maxed out I would be missing BIG on that... so I'm trying to maximize its best feature. That's my reasoning...

If it were such an amazing game, I would have been finished it already with or without RT, but it's not, so I at least want that to be worth it and I can wait.

When I had the PS4 Pro I stopped playing both GoW and Horizon ZD, despite liking those games because of the 30fps... I did not regreit it. I finished HZD on PC maxed out and at 60 fps and it was miles better than on console. And now GoW comes to PC next year and I'll do the same and reap the benefits again, for waiting.
I have patience for those things that are worth it for me and my standards (like, I'll chose 1080p Ultra + RT vs 4k Medium settings, any day, because in fact with today's high quality assets and improved AA tech, the 1080p Ultra + RT image looks much better than 4k Medium in most if not all games) - something a lot of people don't understand and are being fooled chasing the 4k dangling carrot (because 8k is not even worth mentioning how stupid it is at this point in time).

Next gen GPUs (both Lovelace and RDNA3) will make RT a much more usual setting and mainstream. Like all the new tech before it, it will become less of an issue (compared to how it is now).

I think I can disagree buddy, I had an rx480 4gb edition, bios flashed it to an rx580 and got a 11% boost in all games, and I for sure even on the 4gb model was 1440p high settings almost any game I threw at it for sure without a doubt, if your jittery, your should try different drivers and different syncing settings buddy

I just want to thank AMD in advance. I was at first a Geforce guy myself in the 2013-2016 days, but sadly I had bad experience with computers not geforce themselves. I then finally decided to build a Ryzen computer and love it. I eventually updated my 750 ti to an rx480 xfx blower and bios flashed it to an rx580 and got around 10% boost average in games. Ever since then I loved AMD despite the black screens I was getting sometimes. I eventually fixed that, so I love my current 5500xt 8gb, but I wish it was 4k proof, thank God with FSR I can 4k resident evil village on ultra settings, so if they add RSR via panel, I can potentially make this gpu a 4k or for sure if not 4k a 3k 1800p gpu for sure thanks AMD!

As someone who upgraded from an RX 470 4GB to a 3060Ti I can honestly say that I prefer DLSS as a tool for AA, it honestly makes the image look cleaner than native plus built in AA options within games.

Back