AMD shows off Threadripper packaging ahead of August release

Julio Franco

Staff member

AMD will begin shipping Ryzen Threadripper CPUs and motherboards in early August, with preorders of Alienware Area-51 systems packing the new CPU set to open July 27. For a preview of what's to come and our thoughts on where Threadripper stands, check out our piece: Thoughts on Ryzen Threadripper 1920X & 1950X: AMD's enthusiast monster CPUs.

In the meantime, AMD today released a shot of Threadripper's packaging, teasing the CPU's appearance along with Vega at SIGGRAPH 2017, the expo is taking place in Los Angeles July 30 to August 3.

To briefly recap, Ryzen Threadripper 1920X will have 12 cores / 24 threads and a 3.5GHz base speed that can boost to 4.0GHz. Priced at $799, it should cost $400 less than Intel’s comparable Core i9-7920X.

Meanwhile, the top-tier Threadripper 1950X will be priced at $999, offering 16 cores / 32 threads clocked at 3.4GHz with boosted speeds up to 4.0GHz. Intel’s comparable model would be the 16 cores / 32 thread Core i9-7960X which is expected to cost $1,699.

Permalink to story.

That's just the packaging we're seeing here and anyone can put a turd in a blingy, fancy looking package. Not that I'm insinuating the chip will be a turd but I'll check out the test reviews before making any insinuations.

I know in my heart that even that glorious, awesome, magically beautiful package, will outperform Intel's entire new lineup of CPUs! One can only imagine the heights, both tangible but mostly prosaic, that AMD, and its fanboys, (oops sorry, I meant "loyalists" ), will achieve with just the case sticker alone.

Imagine my all consuming chagrin, grief, horror, confusion, and despondency, when, after a night of hearty substance abuse while restringing 12 string guitars, my addled brain collided with these images.

After I gained the bare minimum of composure necessary to remove the hallucinations of unicorns and rainbows dancing in front of my poor old eyes, my thought processes began to "stabilize". <(At least by my standards).

What if, thought I, AMD could make the lid roll off the box to the side, like the legendary tomb of you know who?

Then we could truly rejoice and make merry, while moving "the one true Easter", to August. (*)

Unfortunately, during my joy, hysteria, elation, and euphoria, I go so excited, I pooped my pants...:eek::D

(*)
Parents are cautioned to bury Ryzen boxes for tthe kidz to find. After all, nobody wants rotten eggs stinking up the front lawn in August.

Last edited:
I know in my heart that even that glorious, awesome, magically beautiful package, will outperform Intel's entire new lineup of CPUs! One can only imagine the heights, both tangible but mostly prosaic, that AMD, and its fanboys, (oops sorry, I meant "loyalists" ), will achieve with just the case sticker alone.

Imagine my all consuming chagrin, grief, horror, confusion, and despondency, when, after a night of hearty substance abuse while restringing 12 string guitars, my addled brain collided with these images.

After I gained the bare minimum of composure necessary to remove the hallucinations of unicorns and rainbows dancing in front of my poor old eyes, my thought processes began to "stabilize". <(At least by my standards).

What if, thought I, AMD could make the lid roll off the box to the side, like the legendary tomb of you know who?

Then we could truly rejoice and make merry, while moving "the one true Easter", to August. (*)

Unfortunately, during my joy, hysteria, elation, and euphoria, I go so excited, I pooped my pants...:eek::D

(*)
Parents are cautioned to bury Ryzen boxes for tthe kidz to find. After all, nobody wants rotten eggs stinking up the front lawn in August.

This seems to really upset you and I am not sure why?

This I think will help AMD as you pointed out people like shinny things and the Apple affect will come into play. AMD are desperately trying to get as much of the market as possible and having a competitive product isn't enough for them as they have been irrelevant for so long and alot of bad feeling towards them.

I am personally not a fan of it, would rather a standard box and the CPU be $15 cheaper but in saying that part of me would like to see how ridiculous it can get. Maybe a white/yellow light when you open it shinning out.... actually I am now going to re-watch pulp fiction.

Unless it can OUT SHINE Intel and I do mean pound for pound, Intel have a lot of fans that wont jump ship just because a cpu is cheaper and may get close to Intels performance. I have yet to see AMD beat Intel. Even when there are considerable price difference in SOME models doesn't mean AMD wins.
Hell ive heard that even if AMD does well this year, it wont make much of a dent if any to Intel. Heck if Intel wanted to, they could just drop the price of cpus n declare the war over before it began. But as company who is in it for profit, why drop the price of a product when people are still willing to buy it for premium. It wont last forever, if long but they sure can milk for a lil longer and I'm sure they will. Intel isn't worried about AMD. Intel will surprise all and world will be right again. AMD will just be the lil engine that could but never could quite get there.

Unless it can OUT SHINE Intel and I do mean pound for pound, Intel have a lot of fans that wont jump ship just because a cpu is cheaper and may get close to Intels performance. I have yet to see AMD beat Intel. Even when there are considerable price difference in SOME models doesn't mean AMD wins.
Hell ive heard that even if AMD does well this year, it wont make much of a dent if any to Intel. Heck if Intel wanted to, they could just drop the price of cpus n declare the war over before it began. But as company who is in it for profit, why drop the price of a product when people are still willing to buy it for premium. It wont last forever, if long but they sure can milk for a lil longer and I'm sure they will. Intel isn't worried about AMD. Intel will surprise all and world will be right again. AMD will just be the lil engine that could but never could quite get there.

You missed the point of the article, it is just about the packaging, getting brand awareness and the cool factor at this stage.

If AMD manage to make this a "Cool" CPU to have it wont matter what the performance is as peer pressure will sell it for them.

That is the whole reason Intel have been attacking AMD in their presentations, this is a brand war now not a hardware one. Well has been for a while, just AMD are starting to compete......a little.

I think it is all dumb that all of a sudden everyone seems to care about what is happening in the Server and Workstation market, 6 months ago no one cared and 3 months from now it will be the same.

I wish we could get a stat on how many

This I think will help AMD as you pointed out people like shinny things and the Apple affect will come into play. AMD are desperately trying to get as much of the market as possible and having a competitive product isn't enough for them as they have been irrelevant for so long and alot of bad feeling towards them.

I am personally not a fan of it, would rather a standard box and the CPU be $15 cheaper but in saying that part of me would like to see how ridiculous it can get. Maybe a white/yellow light when you open it shinning out.... actually I am now going to re-watch pulp fiction.
No, actually I'm just sitting here LMAO uncontrollably about it.

Let's see, a woman shows up with an empty box, and all the fanboys salivate. This pretty much vindicates every theory Sigmund Freud and Ivan Pavlov ever came up with.

And also completely justifies John Watson's decision to leave psychology and get into advertising.

So face it, "you just got your bell rung", in a manner of speaking. :D.

Last edited:

No, actually I'm just sitting here LMAO uncontrollably about it.

Let's see, a woman shows up with an empty box, and all the fanboys salivate. This pretty much vindicates every theory Sigmund Freud and Ivan Pavlov ever came up with.

And also completely justifies John Watson's decision to leave psychology and get into advertising.

I think this is normal practice these days for companies as they see more sales when they leverage human behavior.

The term fanboy is used too much these days as well, reality is that there is nothing wrong with being a fan of a product as long as you can be objective. We will see the same thing when coffee lake launches, new battlefield and cod as well.

I think this is normal practice these days for companies as they see more sales when they manipulate human behavior.
Fixed. Call a spade a spade.

Although, I can't recall Intel needing to "leak" pictures of their packaging. You hafta admit, that is a trifle desperate, or perhaps needy. (Please, feel free to choose the term which offends you the least).

IThe term fanboy is used too much these days as well, reality is that there is nothing wrong with being a fan of a product as long as you can be objective. We will see the same thing when coffee lake launches, new battlefield and cod as well.
Au contrare, I don't think it's used enough. As for "objectivity", there's a dearth of that around here these days.

In fact, (IIRC), one member wanted another member's posts removed and the same member banned, for not jumping on the AMD bandwagon. "He's trolling us"...:'(

Another prominent "symptom" of fanboyism, Is when one member puts up a post which should be obvious to anyone who has achieved the age of abstract reasoning, is simply pure humor and sarcasm, and another member accuses him of being "upset".

(Quoting loosely from Ivan Pavlov), "After proper conditioning, you no longer have to feed the dog, just ring the bell and it will salivate". An empty bowl, and an empty box, are the same sh!t, in only a very slightly different context.

I think this is normal practice these days for companies as they see more sales when they manipulate human behavior.
Fixed. Call a spade a spade.

Couldn't agree more.

Although, I can't recall Intel needing to "leak" pictures of their packaging. You hafta admit, that is a trifle desperate, or perhaps needy. (Please, feel free to choose the term which offends you the least).

Intel doesn't care about the consumer market so they don't need to, all their money is made in the datacenter so for them to do it would be out of character. AMD on the other hand only have the consumer market so they have to do it as Intel is so strong in both. AMD are needy at the moment but they have to be otherwise they wont be around in the next 5 years, good products are not enough for them to sell well.

IThe term fanboy is used too much these days as well, reality is that there is nothing wrong with being a fan of a product as long as you can be objective. We will see the same thing when coffee lake launches, new battlefield and cod as well.
Au contrare, I don't think it's used enough. As for "objectivity", there's a dearth of that around here these days.

In fact, (IIRC), one member wanted another member's posts removed and the same member banned, for not jumping on the AMD bandwagon. "He's trolling us"...:'(

Trolling and sh!t posting should be removed, I stand by that and that is what was being posted repeatedly on every AMD post except the one that showed AMD almost equal to the 7700K in 30 games but half the price, he was quiet on that one.

This is a good conversion and although you frustrated me at first am enjoying it now.

Another prominent "symptom" of fanboyism, Is when one member puts up a post which should be obvious to anyone who has achieved the age of abstract reasoning, is simply pure humor and sarcasm, and another member accuses him of being "upset".

(Quote loosely from Ivan Pavlov), "After proper conditioning, you no longer have to feed the dog, just ring the bell and it will salivate". An empty bowl, and an empty box, are the same sh!t, in a different context.

Sarcasm in written text is so hard to pick without knowing the person well.

(Sarcam) Maybe a sarcasm tag should be available (/Sarcasm)

....[ ]...Sarcasm in written text is so hard to pick without knowing the person well....[ ]...
Most people assume that because of my screen name, I'm being mean, rude, and sarcastic. Not always true. Normally, I simply revel in the fact I know it all, and when I don't know something, it simply isn't worth knowing anyway. (y):cool:

(Sarcam) Maybe a sarcasm tag should be available (/Sarcasm)
This forum's software was changed from the pretty much standard "vBulletin", to "Xenforo", a few years back. Since then, available features in the new software have been pruned off severely. However, I have lobbied for years, to less than no avail, to have the "rolleyes" emoticon, incorporated into that library..

About as far as I've gotten, is to realize the "thumbs up" icon, is somewhat ambiguous as to which finger is actually being raised.

As far as it goes though, I have no intention of typing ":rolleyes:", each time I inject sarcasm into my posts. I guess you'll just have to get to know me...:p

This I think will help AMD as you pointed out people like shinny things and the Apple affect will come into play.

Apple's packaging is calm and understated. This, along with the name Threadripper, is some seriously tacky ****. I don't think putting the eye of Sauron on your product helps shift boxes, unless it's done ironically perhaps.

This I think will help AMD as you pointed out people like shinny things and the Apple affect will come into play.

Apple's packaging is calm and understated. This, along with the name Threadripper, is some seriously tacky ****. I don't think putting the eye of Sauron on your product helps shift boxes, unless it's done ironically perhaps.

This was more of the glassy eyed affect shinny apple products have on people, which is why people wait for days outside of shops to get a phone which is only 1 year older than their last one........ Why not just have pre-order with first day delivery...... because that doesn't create drama and make the news.

Edit: AMD is doing the same thing here with the packaging, if it was a random plain box no one would be reporting on it or talking about it.

This was more of the glassy eyed affect shinny apple products have on people, which is why people wait for days outside of shops to get a phone which is only 1 year "NEWER" than their last one........ Why not just have pre-order with first day delivery...... because that doesn't create drama and make the news.

Fixed! (again)..:D

To answer your question though, "because iSheep are used to being part of an iHerd"!

Last edited:
This was more of the glassy eyed affect shinny apple products have on people, which is why people wait for days outside of shops to get a phone which is only 1 year "NEWER" than their last one........ Why not just have pre-order with first day delivery...... because that doesn't create drama and make the news.

Fixed! (again)..:D

To answer your question though, "because iSheep are used to being part of an iHerd"!

Thanks again, shouldn't post when so tired and from a phone.

I feel like we may have had more in common that I first thought

You missed the point of the article, it is just about the packaging, getting brand awareness and the cool factor at this stage.

If AMD manage to make this a "Cool" CPU to have it wont matter what the performance is as peer pressure will sell it for them.

That is the whole reason Intel have been attacking AMD in their presentations, this is a brand war now not a hardware one. Well has been for a while, just AMD are starting to compete......a little.

I think it is all dumb that all of a sudden everyone seems to care about what is happening in the Server and Workstation market, 6 months ago no one cared and 3 months from now it will be the same.

I wish we could get a stat on how many
I wasn't referring to the article, more just in general.

Intel Inside (ta-dink duhn-Dink!)
(and to call the campaign successful would be rather an understatement -- there have always Been iSheep.. spoken by an owner of the original OCT-Athlon)

Back