AMD vs Intel - help with computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

Hi,

I am planning to build a mid-range computer but I cant decide whether I should go with AMD or Intel. The computer will not have a specific use (IE gaming etc) but I would like a reasonably fast computer that will be good for a few years use.

I have been looking at the AMD sempron (2800 or 3300) and the Intel Celeron 2.80 ghz.

Could someone tell me a few things (such as the L2 cache, is that important - on the celeron it is 256kb is that ok? And If the processor is 64 bit enabled, can I still use it as a normal procesor (with windows xp 32 bit?

And finally, can someone give me an idea of how the above processors compare as far as general speed is concerned?? For example, I currently have a P4 3ghz 512mb ram... and I find this PC very fast - how would the above processors compare to this spec?

PS the machine I am building is for someone else by the way...

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If your comparing these cpus:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112205
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104245

Both have 64bit capability(future ready), but can run current 32bit operating systems and programs.

The intel cpu is basically a cut down 2.8ghz pentium 4 presscott, it has 1/4 the l2 cache of a pentium 4 521, a lower fsb(533 instead of 800), and no hyperthreading.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116229

The amd cpu doesn't have a direct cpu comparison in the athlon 64 line, it would be something like a athlon 64 2600+ if it existed. Anyway, it has 1/2 the cache of an athlon64, and the same hypertransport speed, but I don't think sempron cpus have amd's "cool and quiet" feature(which I don't find very useful anyway).

I'd say the sempron64 is "less cut down" than the celeron d, and is also cheaper. The celeron d cpu uses intel's 775 socket though which is still current, where the amd 754 socket is basically amd's "value cpu" socket now.
So, if future cpu upgradeability is important, the celeron d(socket775 type), would be more future ready.

Either will be somewhat slower than a 3ghz p4, how much depends on the app.

Thanks

thanks Vnf4Ultra, thats plenty of information! Between my post and now from my own research I was sort of eering towards one of the AMDs. And your report seems to agree with that - the only point to favour the celeron is the fact that is is an up to date socket.

But I think I will go for one of the AMDs - when I have used AMD machines they always seem a little faster to me.

Thanks very much

davids said:
Hi,

I am planning to build a mid-range computer but I cant decide whether I should go with AMD or Intel. The computer will not have a specific use (IE gaming etc) but I would like a reasonably fast computer that will be good for a few years use.

I have been looking at the AMD sempron (2800 or 3300) and the Intel Celeron 2.80 ghz.

Could someone tell me a few things (such as the L2 cache, is that important - on the celeron it is 256kb is that ok? And If the processor is 64 bit enabled, can I still use it as a normal procesor (with windows xp 32 bit?

And finally, can someone give me an idea of how the above processors compare as far as general speed is concerned?? For example, I currently have a P4 3ghz 512mb ram... and I find this PC very fast - how would the above processors compare to this spec?

PS the machine I am building is for someone else by the way...

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've built 3 AMD 64-bit systems based on socket 754 Sempron 64 (1-2600+ and 2-2800+) the prices are cheap for these CPU and I use the MSI K8T Nero-V and MSI K8MM-V boards. The MSI K8T Neo-V can be overclocked as the K8MM-V can't. All three have 1GB of DDRAM each. I've tested them with:

Windows XP Pro SP2 - 32-bit
Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 SP2 - 32-bit
Windows XP Pro x64 SP1 - 64-bit

No problems..

All three boards are FSB 800 MHz & HP 1600 MHz Quite fast. All of SATA and RAID which I've tested also no problems.

PATA 133
UATA 133
SATA 150 Raid

I've used MainConcepts MPEG2 Encoder to process a MPEG from PAL to NTSC and compared to my old P4 2.4GHz L2 1MB the Sempron 64 with L2 256 was 15 mins quicker.

2600+ L2 128KB
2800+ - 3400+ L2 256KB

My next purchase will be a Dual core AMD x2 or higher, just waiting for the price to go down..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back