AMD's CPUs lose ground to Intel in latest Steam hardware survey, Windows 7 gains users

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: The Steam hardware survey for June has just arrived, and it’s not good news for AMD. Having seen its CPU share among participants grow for months on end before finally passing the 30% mark in May, team red experienced a decline of -1.72% in June, dropping down to 28.4%. Looking at graphics cards, the RTX 2060 saw the biggest increase, while the RTX 3070 moved into the top 15. Most surprising of all, more people are using Windows 7!

Last month’s survey results shows AMD experiencing its first decline in the CPU space since December, dropping from 30.1% to 28.41%. It comes despite AMD CPUs holding eight of the top ten spots on Amazon’s best-selling processors list, though Intel has been reducing the price of its 10th-gen and 11th-gen CPUs, so that could be having an effect.

AMD in May said the chip shortage is forcing it to prioritize its flagship CPUs over lower-end offerings, and CEO Lisa Su believes supply of Ryzen 5000-series CPUs are set to improve, so perhaps, as was the case at the start of the year, the company will regain its share over the next few months.

Looking at video cards, the RTX 2060 saw the largest increase in June (0.99%). It was reported in February that Nvidia was increasing supply of the Turing offering to deal with Ampere shortages, but last month saw rumors that it was cutting supply to increase RTX 3000-series production.

Speaking of Ampere. The RTX 3070 has now broken into the top fifteen cards with its 0.04% increase, and the RTX 3060 was up 0.27%, but the rest of the series saw slight declines. The long-reigning GTX 1060 also had a good June, cementing its position at the top with a 0.93% jump following months of watching its share shrink.

Another unexpected stat was Windows 10 (64-bit) experiencing a 2.51% drop while the unsupported Windows 7 was up 2.91%. Even with the Windows 11 preview available, some people can’t let go of Win 7.

As always, the Steam survey gathers data from Steam users who opt-in, giving an indication of what hardware people are sporting rather than being an accurate representation.

Permalink to story.

I bet this is directly related to AMD not wanting/not being able (Whichever it is, result is the same) to get midrange budget CPUs: yes people can technically go for a 3600 or 3600x and that in theory *should* fill out the space a 5600 would have but people just don't like buying into an outdated line. I believe what they did with laptops could have worked out better: rebrand the 3600x as a 5600 or 5500 or something to denote "Yes this is less performance but we *are* supporting this product in full" which believe it or not counts.

This is why intel my have clawed back some market share: I don't really believe any people wanting high end rigs are going for 11700ks or 11900ks at all but it's the 11400F that probably has been a hit right where a 5600, 5500 or 5400 would have worked out to address this.

However as I said from the get to I am not sure AMD went with this strategy *intentionally* it could just be that there cannot really support these lines with the TSMC constrains they've been experiencing and this is about the best they could do: just support their higher end X parts for the time being.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Windows 7 market share went from 1.97% to 4.88% right? That’s not a 2.91% increase, that’s a 150% increase. This sounds fishy.

Trying to create a news story using Steam survey is suspect. Just ignore this crap. Steam survey is so random and it pops up on any computer that Steam is on.

I used to have Steam on my work computer to chat with people during the day at times. I've had the survey notification pop up multiple times on it and this computer is a worthless POS compared to a low-end gaming rig.

I haven't seen the Steam survey pop-up come up on my computer at home for a long, long time. I power off my computer every night and Steam automatically launches when the computer boots. In fact, I haven't seen it for years. The last time I did a Steam survey was just after I got my 980Ti...that was 6 years ago!

Anyone that actually believes that the Steam survey info is a good source to base their opinions on and write stories off, they have some serious issues.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Windows 7 market share went from 1.97% to 4.88% right? That’s not a 2.91% increase, that’s a 150% increase. This sounds fishy.

Fishy how? If I have one fish stick and I get another fish stick that's a 100% increase. The smaller the total number the bigger the percentage will be for any addition or loss. Compared to the 30-ish percent Windows 7 had just a couple years ago its Steam usage now isn't much better than that of Linux.

I bet this is directly related to AMD not wanting/not being able (Whichever it is, result is the same) to get midrange budget CPUs: yes people can technically go for a 3600 or 3600x and that in theory *should* fill out the space a 5600 would have but people just don't like buying into an outdated line. I believe what they did with laptops could have worked out better: rebrand the 3600x as a 5600 or 5500 or something to denote "Yes this is less performance but we *are* supporting this product in full" which believe it or not counts.

This is why intel my have clawed back some market share: I don't really believe any people wanting high end rigs are going for 11700ks or 11900ks at all but it's the 11400F that probably has been a hit right where a 5600, 5500 or 5400 would have worked out to address this.

However as I said from the get to I am not sure AMD went with this strategy *intentionally* it could just be that there cannot really support these lines with the TSMC constrains they've been experiencing and this is about the best they could do: just support their higher end X parts for the time being.

It's because of the shortage of 5600x cpus that I'm sitting on my 2600 CPU. I could be like these other people and go Intel but truth be told it wouldn't be cost effective as I'd have to replace my motherboard which would add to the cost.

The thing that makes me wonder is the fact that the graph is showing a rise in Windows 7 installs. I'm not aware of any movement to switch back to Windows 7 so I'm curious if it is a glitch.

The thing that makes me wonder is the fact that the graph is showing a rise in Windows 7 installs. I'm not aware of any movement to switch back to Windows 7 so I'm curious if it is a glitch.
That part to me I assume is directly related to the pandemic: I bet it's just an influx of lots of people who dusted off old laptops and desktops to find something to play on Steam. So that's actually probably brand new Steam users just starting.

And if it's significant enough to make a dent in Windows 7 numbers it might also be significant enough to bump up intel adoption numbers too now that we think about what's the most likely system people have from Windows 7 era which would definitively be almost exclusively intel.

So I might need to revise my previous post by saying just brand new users on older devices that now finally try to game due to pandemic related quarantine could be a big factor.

Intel has better options under $300.

The gain in W7 users is very interesting. I'll be watching that.

Windows 7 market share increased considerably as did the 2060‘s market share….sounds totally legit. The 1060 also increased in popularity by quite a bit - almost as much as the 2060, so I guess nVidia started selling these again, as well, right ?

Is it possible that internet cafes reopened ?

Let's summarize the crap information Steam is serving out to us:

• over 2x as many people started using Windows 7 last month as compared to the trends of months before.
• 1/10 of the existing userbase with over 16GB of RAM decided to remove said RAM and go to 16GB
• 7% of the existing userbase decided to trade in their 12 & 16 core CPUs for 6 and 8 core models
• Nvidia sold the same number of GTX 1060s in one month as all the GTX 1650 Supers in existence
• People traded their 4GB video cards in for 3GB ones and their 8GB video cards in for 6 and ....... 5GB ones.

Add here we have it.

3GB video cards are 1060s and 6GB video cards are 1060s, and 5GB cards are specifically Chinese 1060s.

Steam just let in a bunch of Chinese internet cafe PCs back into their survey (which it's done in the past) which skewed the results in a particular direction: Nvidia x60 models, 6 core Intel CPUs, 16GB RAM, running cracked Windows 7 on 1080p displays.

The plural of anecdote is anecdotes. There's no data here.

I recently bought a used 3700x and and used 3600 and I have no complaints with either.

I love all the steam survey articles, helps separate all people who understand math from butt hurt people who failed stats class.

There's no shortage of Ryzen 5000 products in the UK, I do think the 5600X is due a price cut but I think Lisa Su is waiting for the remaining 3600 stock to be fully sold which is easily their best selling CPI ever.

Trying to create a news story using Steam survey is suspect. Just ignore this crap. Steam survey is so random and it pops up on any computer that Steam is on.

I used to have Steam on my work computer to chat with people during the day at times. I've had the survey notification pop up multiple times on it and this computer is a worthless POS compared to a low-end gaming rig.

I haven't seen the Steam survey pop-up come up on my computer at home for a long, long time. I power off my computer every night and Steam automatically launches when the computer boots. In fact, I haven't seen it for years. The last time I did a Steam survey was just after I got my 980Ti...that was 6 years ago!

Anyone that actually believes that the Steam survey info is a good source to base their opinions on and write stories off, they have some serious issues.

Built my Ryzen rig like 3 years ago, changed from W7 to W10 my card from RX560 to a RX580 and never had one survey.

I built my Phenom 965BE rig I think back in 2010-2012 had many surveys. I even spend more time using STEAM with my Ryzen lol. I wouldn't be surprised if INTEL has anything to do with it.

Actually I got last month's Steam survey twice, once on an R5 2600/5600XT build and once on an Intel NUC8i5. And neither are my primary gaming machine (though the AMD build certainly could be). At least the 5600 XT has a tiny representation on the list, the Iris Plus 655 is completely absent.

Well, I can tell you the vast number of PC buyers are not for gaming. And right now, it has been breaking AMD's way. Both Intel and AMD still market to gamers and all other buyers will at least know that performance is there and will be buying on price. Still believe these stats are skewed. Most know it, but still a story on the surface.

As much as I respect Valve, their hardware survey seems to simply be unreliable.

Example, many linux users never get the survey yet they do if the switch to windows or have a separate windows machine.

Or this one in particular, AMD simply cant keep up with the demand, yet intel seems to have cpus on the shelves because nobody wants them, yet, here we are.

Because 10th gen Intel were sold at large discount

For a while you could get a 10th Gen Intel 10-core for just $A20 (15 US Dollars) more than Ryzen 5600x.

However, in last few weeks prices of 5600x and 5800x have actually fallen below launch prices, which would imply stock levels are good.

What I don't get is that any friend, family or co worker that has a new PC almost all are AMD rigs.

Back