AMD's Hondo APU will only support Windows 8 and Linux

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AMD’s upcoming mobile chip codenamed Hondo will happily run inside Windows 8 tablets but those hoping to add Android support for dual-booting goodness are out of luck. Steve Belt, corporate VP of ultra low power products for AMD, recently told The Inquirer that Hondo will be a Windows 8-only product although there isn’t anything spotting users from running Linux on the APU.

The executive specifically said AMD made a conscious decision not to target Android with this platform. They feel that Windows 8 has a ton of potential and they don’t want to spread themselves into multiple markets. Belt didn’t rule out the possibility of expanding to Android at some point in the future but as of now, it’s not in the cards.

amd hondo windows android windows 8

AMD is expecting Windows 8 to occupy up to 20 percent of the tablet market and as the publication highlights, if they could capture a majority of that, they’d be in good shape. Support for Linux is noteworthy, however, as Intel says Clover Trail won’t support the open source operating system.

ASUS first demonstrated the possibility of dual-booting Android alongside Windows 8 on their Transformer all-in-one during Computex earlier this year. An 18.4-inch desktop probably isn’t the best form factor to demo such a versatile operating environment but it at least gave those in the community a glimpse of what is feasible.

Intel’s Clover Trail and AMD’s Hondo APU are gearing up to make Windows RT tablets a bit more interesting than most initially anticipated. We’ll know what each platform is capable of in just over a month’s time.

Permalink to story.

So, no Clover Trail love for Linux, and no Android love from Hondo. Seems to be a pattern of exclusion going on, but in this case I think AMD has made a serious error in judgement when they chose to pass on the dominant mobile OS on the market right now. I'm amazed at how many companies are betting heavy on Windows8 and RT, when the initial reports and beta commentary has been less than kind about it. If Win8 is another Vista, there's a whole lot of eggs in that basket that are going to rot.

So, no Clover Trail love for Linux, and no Android love from Hondo. Seems to be a pattern of exclusion going on, but in this case I think AMD has made a serious error in judgement when they chose to pass on the dominant mobile OS on the market right now. I'm amazed at how many companies are betting heavy on Windows8 and RT, when the initial reports and beta commentary has been less than kind about it. If Win8 is another Vista, there's a whole lot of eggs in that basket that are going to rot.
I think they are aiming for a resurgence of the power of Wintel this time in mobile form. To be honest I would worry about that, these massive powerhouses are dangerous when they focus on something.

AMD is brilliant in a loosing plan. Cut out the world class Apple. Are they suicidal or what?

"don?t want to spread themselves into multiple markets." that's a really nice say of letting everyone know they sold out to Microsoft. I find it funny how they're ok with Linux on the processor but not a linux Variant aka Android. Smells like bull **** to me. Look how many companies on the desktop market are jumping ship to Linux over Windows 8 WTF makes AMD think this is a good idea?

It's quite amusing, @however wrote this article.
If Linux is supported, then please in the right terminology explain to me why Android aka Linux kernel is not? They're the same thing, the Android kernel is just a slightly older and smaller, leaner version of the current Desktop Linux kernel compiled for ARM architecture(or any other). Because with 'Support' I am starting to understand that it means: The company is just not 'monetarily' supporting them?

I kinda agree with it. intel and amd don't need to create unnecessary competition supporting android, when x86/x64 markets are what they're excel in. both of them rather focus on making smaller and more efficient chips so I can one day have pc-to-go instead of windows-to-go. maybe slimmer windows 8 pro tablets too.

when it comes to android, I'll leave my choice to arm, samsung, or tegra chips.

@nismo91

Samsung Exynos and nVidia Tegra chips are ARM based chips... and btw. Intel Medfield showed that x86 has potential in low power applications. These decisions to focus on Windows are not of technical nature, a conscious choice to favor one platform over the others.

Back