AMD's new Ryzen 3 desktop CPUs get official, coming in May starting at $99

Shawn Knight

Staff member
One more thing: AMD additionally introduced its new B550 chipset for socket AM4 which adds support for PCIe 4.0. The company didn’t have much to say on this front save for the fact that manufacturing partners including Asus, ASRock, Biostar, Gigabyte and MSI will have offerings available starting June 16, 2020.

AMD on Tuesday expanded its third generation Ryzen desktop family with the official introduction of the Ryzen 3 3100 and the Ryzen 3 3300X, the first third-gen Ryzen 3 parts from the chipmaker.

As rumored, both chips will feature four cores with eight threads, 18MB of total cache and carry a 65W TDP. The Ryzen 3 3100 boasts a base frequency of 3.6GHz and can boost up to 3.9GHz while the slightly faster Ryzen 3 3300X runs at 3.8GHz and boosts up to 4.3GHz. They are also both built on a 7nm FinFET manufacturing process.

The chipmaker said the Ryzen 3 3100 will offer up to 20 percent better gaming performance and up to 75 percent better creator performance versus the competition (in this instance, the Intel Core i3-9100).

The Ryzen 3 3100 and the Ryzen 3 3300X are slated to arrive on May 21, 2020, at a suggested online retail price of $99 and $120, respectively.

Permalink to story.

So almost 5 years later the $300 Core i7-6700 is now a $100 Ryzen 3 3100. Nice.

Well, the i7 has HD Graphics 530, I'm sure that's worth something. Somewhere...

Ouch. For some reason it hurts me personally. Don't get me wrong, I'm still smiling at the progress. It's just... wow, remember saving up so much for that 6700K...

So almost 5 years later the $300 Core i7-6700 is now a $100 Ryzen 3 3100. Nice.

Well, the i7 has HD Graphics 530, I'm sure that's worth something. Somewhere...
Ah not, quite, it was until the end of the summer of 2015 that the 6700k launched, demand was so high for it that the price was rarely below $400 until around 2016 when it hit it’s MSRP of $350. 5 years ago today it was the 4790k which had been out almost a year. I bought my 4790k for £240 back in 2014, its the best CPU purchase I’ve ever made. No need to replace it either, still smashing games with it’s 4.8 overclock.

These Ryzen parts do look pretty similar. They don’t clock as high as those old Intel quads so I imagine they will perform slightly worse in games. But for $100 these are excellent budget gaming parts.

Ah not, quite, it was until the end of the summer of 2015 that the 6700k launched, demand was so high for it that the price was rarely below $400 until around 2016 when it hit it’s MSRP of $350. 5 years ago today it was the 4790k which had been out almost a year. I bought my 4790k for £240 back in 2014, its the best CPU purchase I’ve ever made. No need to replace it either, still smashing games with it’s 4.8 overclock.

These Ryzen parts do look pretty similar. They don’t clock as high as those old Intel quads so I imagine they will perform slightly worse in games. But for $100 these are excellent budget gaming parts.

To be fair you could potentially sell you i7 bundle on ebay and buy a Ryzen 5 3600 and add most likely £0, my brother was looking at those second hand i7 and the prices are crazy I could not believe it

1600AF is still where it's at. No point buying a slightly faster 4 core, especially if you intend to game on it for a while into the future.

$90 for 6C/12T you should at least get 4Ghz all core from it with a $30 cooler. What a champ.

So how much faster will these be than a 2200g you think? 4 cores and 4 threads and 6mb of cache.. 3.5ghz base/3.9 boost. Not using the graphics part at the moment. If its 30% faster or something seems like a good upgrade.

To be fair I was referring to the i7-6700, not the 6700K which if you OC it like Shadowboxer is doing for his 4790K, should outperform this Ryzen 3 3100. I'm curious to see what kind of overhead, if any, these R3 parts have. Since they have the lowest boost clocks of any Zen 2 part, maybe they have some OC potential but then if they come from the lowest bins, maybe they don't.

To be fair you could potentially sell you i7 bundle on ebay and buy a Ryzen 5 3600 and add most likely £0, my brother was looking at those second hand i7 and the prices are crazy I could not believe it
Yeah these Intel quads carry their value. Actually the motherboards even more so, getting hold of a Z97 or Z87 board on its own can be quite tricky. This is because of the whole new socket every gen thing I guess.

I am selling up, currently I’m using it to get me through the lockdown so I’m glad I still have it but my lifestyle involves me flying on average twice a week. I plan to replace everything I have with an iPad Pro as soon as the world gets better.

Back