AMD's X570 chipset won't support first-generation Ryzen

onetheycallEric

Staff
In context: While AMD's goal of maintaining socket AM4 compatibility with Ryzen through 2020 has been an audacious one, it's one the company has delivered on quite admirably. However as the Ryzen ecosystem grows generation-over-generation, backwards compatibility is increasingly becoming more of problematic, particularly for motherboard vendors. AMD's motherboard manufacturing partners may not want to support older products and some limitations are starting to arise.

When AMD launched the Zen architecture and the first generation of Ryzen processors, AMD pledged to support the AM4 socket through 2020. This was in stark contrast to Intel's heavily fragmented and price-demarcated ecosystem. True enough, AMD's AM4 socket ecosystem has been refreshingly simple, offering backwards and forwards compatibility with Ryzen.

With the arrival of the long-awaited Ryzen 3000, AMD is again demonstrating its support for the AM4 socket. Alas, there's a caveat. At some point, it becomes invariable that not every processor will be compatible with every chipset or motherboard. Such is the case with AMD's new pinnacle X570 chipset.

Ryzen's earliest progenitors such as the Ryzen 7 1700 or Ryzen 7 1700X are not compatible with AMD's latest X570 platform, as gleaned from a blog post by AMD with an accompanying chart. Raven Ridge APUs like the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G are supported. The budget-minded A320 chipset will also not see support for Ryzen 3000, marking the first time Ryzen silicon isn't fully backward compatible across chipsets.

While it doesn't make a lot of sense to pair a first-gen Ryzen chip with an X570 motherboard for a new build, this does eliminate an upgrade path for those still on the first-gen Ryzen platform. For example, those who don't feel need more processing power but would like to add support for PCIe 4.0 that is only available on AMD's latest platform.

Otherwise, AMD retains drop-in compatibility with second-generation Ryzen silicon, and X470 and B450 chipsets are compatible with every current generation of Ryzen. Select X370 and B350 boards will require a BIOS update for Ryzen 3000, some of which we've already seen roll out.

AMD is also trying to circumvent some of the compatibility issues its incurred in the past with a new badge. "With the new AMD X570 chipset and AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors, we’re launching Ryzen 3000 Ready. If a new X570, X470 or B450 motherboard is calling your name, just look for the 'AMD Ryzen Desktop 3000 Ready' badge on the box to ensure processor drop-in compatibility," said Erin Maiorino, Ryzen Desktop Product Marketing Manager at AMD.

Update (5/30): AMD reached out to let us know they have updated their chipset support guidance noting that 1st-gen Ryzen processors with Radeon Graphics (Raven Ridge) will be supported on the X570 platform.

Permalink to story.

At some point, it becomes invariable that not every processor will be compatible with every chipset or motherboard.

Apparently you typed this article in quite the hurry.... the word you're looking for is INEVITABLE... not invariable... and there are quite a few grammatical errors - and first sentence of your last paragraph, it's IT'S, not ITS :)

Otherwise... nice bit of info... If and when I do upgrade my Intel 5960, looks like it will be Ryzen.

SO WHAT?
A320 is obsolete.
X570 provides a feature set that 1st gen Ryzen is not designed to accommodate.
This is like someone buying a Volkswagen then whining because a boxer engine does not fit.
Or conversely, buying a Porsche then whining because a VW engine doesn't fit!

CLICKBAIT.

All the writers are trying to do is create a tempest in a teapot. Builders smart enough to know the difference do not care and those who buy off the rack don't care either.

SO WHAT?
A320 is obsolete.
This is like someone buying a Volkswagen then whining because a boxer engine does not fit.

CLICKBAIT.

All the writers are trying to do is create a tempest in a teapot. Builders smart enough to know the difference do not care and those who buy off the rack don't care either.
Not exactly... AMD made a promise stating that the AM4 socket would remain backwards compatible until 2020.... For those uneducated masses who don't read articles like this, they could reasonably be expecting to be able to pop in the newest Ryzen processors into their old Ryzen 1 motherboards...

There needs to be articles stating that they might not be able to do this :)

Of course, this is still lightyears beyond the motherboard support Intel provides - but at least Intel doesn't make any promises - they just assume people will shell out hundreds of dollars every couple of years for their overpriced product.

I think the Asus B350 prime plus supports 3rd gen. Although I'm probably better off selling that with my R5 1600.

I think this is motherboard vendors fault, they make those expensive motherboards and then put tiny BIOS chips on them.....

Remember that the issue isn't so much as being able to put a 3rd gen Ryzen into a 1st Gen board but rather a 1st gen Ryzen into a 3rd Gen board.

It seems highly unlikely that someone would buy a X570 Board just to stick an old Ryzen 1 Processor into it, but it seems more likely that someone would stick a Ryzen 3000 series CPU into a 1st gen board.

As far as limited support for that goes though, I believe that it has something to do with the manufacturers themselves using bios chips not large enough to contain all the chip information of the newer CPUs

SO WHAT?
A320 is obsolete.

CLICKBAIT.

Not exactly... AMD made a promise stating that the AM4 socket would remain backwards compatible until 2020.... For those uneducated masses who don't read articles like this, they could reasonably be expecting to be able to pop in the newest Ryzen processors into their old Ryzen 1 motherboards...

Of course, this is still lightyears beyond the motherboard support Intel provides - but at least Intel doesn't make any promises - they just assume people will shell out hundreds of dollars every couple of years for their overpriced product.

Is that what they promised? What matters is that old motherboards can still run the new chips. Virtually nobody will want or need to get first gen chips working in the new 500 series motherboards. I mean, if you're building a system around a first gen Ryzen, it would be a mistake to pair it with one of these new X570's. Of course, it could be super annoying in certain rare situations, but I think most would agree that it's like 100 times more important that the new chips can run on older boards than for the oldest chips to work on the newest boards.

I myself am actually running a first gen Ryzen chip in a second gen Ryzen board, so I guess I'm kind-of one of those exceptional cases, but even I don't care if my old Zen 1 CPU will work on the new 500 series boards.

This is so BS! I purchased a cheap R7-1700 with the sole intent of using it as a placeholder in a new X570 build until the 16-core 3000 part ships, and AMD is not supporting it!?!?! This is a processor they are still selling new. This is unacceptable AMD!!

This is so BS! I purchased a cheap R7-1700 with the sole intent of using it as a placeholder in a new X570 build until the 16-core 3000 part ships, and AMD is not supporting it!?!?! This is a processor they are still selling new. This is unacceptable AMD!!
I'm really hoping that this is sarcasm... otherwise, you don't have the intellect to own an expensive PC and you should be mailing me your CPU :)

I also suspect that this guy is being sarcastic, I mean, why would he have bought it already, before finding out if it would be compatible? Also, why would you even be in such a rush to use the new X570 motherboard before you even get your hands on a Ryzen 3000 CPU?

It's one thing to expect compatibility when they're one generation apart, but TWO generations apart? You should know better than to assume anything. They're doing their best to support older cpus on newer boards, and (much more importantly) to support new chips on older boards, where the support will be better (Ryzen 3000's should work even on most B350 boards). We can't expect total compatibility. Intel has offered nothing close to this level of compatibility between chips and boards of different generations.

I also suspect that this guy is being sarcastic, I mean, why would he have bought it already, before finding out if it would be compatible? Also, why would you even be in such a rush to use the new X570 motherboard before you even get your hands on a Ryzen 3000 CPU? Aren't the Zen 2 cpus going to be available before the X570 motherboards anyway?

It's one thing to expect compatibility when they're one generation apart, but TWO generations apart? You should know better than to assume anything. They're doing their best to support older cpus on newer boards, and (much more importantly) to support new chips on older boards, where the support will be better (Most Ryzen 3000's should work even on most B350 boards). We can't expect total compatibility. Intel has offered nothing close to this level of compatibility between chips and boards of different generations.

SO WHAT?
A320 is obsolete.

CLICKBAIT.

AMD never promised that old CPUs would work in new AM4 motherboards. If you can provide a link, I'd like to see it.

I'm 100% sure they said motherboard would be updated to support the latest processors.

At some point, it becomes invariable that not every processor will be compatible with every chipset or motherboard.

Apparently you typed this article in quite the hurry.... the word you're looking for is INEVITABLE... not invariable... and there are quite a few grammatical errors - and first sentence of your last paragraph, it's IT'S, not ITS :)

Otherwise... nice bit of info... If and when I do upgrade my Intel 5960, looks like it will be Ryzen.

I had an 5930K (6-core) and compared it to a Ryzen 2600 (6-core) that I build for a friend in benchmarks. I found it was 20% slower in SMT tasks on average even though my Intel part was overclocked all cores to 3.7 GHz. Needless to say, it was time to upgrade. You'll enjoy the AMD ecosystem when you switch. I gave the old girl to my son and picked up a Threadripper 2950X for myself. :)

I had an 5930K (6-core) and compared it to a Ryzen 2600 (6-core) that I build for a friend in benchmarks. I found it was 20% slower in SMT tasks on average even though my Intel part was overclocked all cores to 3.7 GHz. Needless to say, it was time to upgrade. You'll enjoy the AMD ecosystem when you switch. I gave the old girl to my son and picked up a Threadripper 2950X for myself. :)
I keep putting it off every year saying "it'll be better next year".... I finally upgraded my old Maxwell Titans (used to have 3) with a 2080Ti....

Motherboard upgrades are far more complex though.... might simply wait until I can buy an entirely new system... the 2080Ti won't be obsolete for a few years though...

First world problems, eh?

You "overclocked" your 5930k to 3.7ghz? Stock it runs 3.5 with a 3.7 turbo. A quick Google shows a typical oc is 4.4-4.5ghz. You were no where near the potential performance of that CPU.

You "overclocked" your 5930k to 3.7ghz? Stock it runs 3.5 with a 3.7 turbo. A quick Google shows a typical oc is 4.4-4.5ghz. You were no where near the potential performance of that CPU.

He's also likely running that CPU mostly on professional workloads, where stability is far more important. Not to mention the workload characteristics are different, as in engaging all cores for an extended period of time vs in gaming where you maybe have half the cores used for short bursts of time.

You need to consider that those typical OCs are individual accounts from random people who likely don't have a truly stable OC. Mind you, that doesn't include all the people who aren't posting their OC results because what they got isn't good.

He's also likely running that CPU mostly on professional workloads, where stability is far more important. Not to mention the workload characteristics are different, as in engaging all cores for an extended period of time vs in gaming where you maybe have half the cores used for short bursts of time.

You need to consider that those typical OCs are individual accounts from random people who likely don't have a truly stable OC. Mind you, that doesn't include all the people who aren't posting their OC results because what they got isn't good.
My 5960 can OC fairly easily to 4.5ghz and that’s every core.... but I only bother when rendering... games almost never need it (GPU is the deciding factor 99% of the time...

I can still render a 2 hour 1080p movie fairly quickly.... but I’m thinking a 3900 would make life better...

"For example, those who don't feel need more processing power but would like to add support for PCIe 4.0 that is only available on AMD's latest platform."

You need a CPU that also supports PCIe 4.0 for it to work.
Someone with Ryzen 1000 gains nothing from X570, and if you say "what if they plan on upgrading to a 3000 series CPU later" ... They could do it the other way around then: CPU first, MoBo later.

"Update: Our entire article is wrong"

Yeah, that really should be at TOP of the page, preferably with bigger font.

That's true in my case. I originally had it OC'd to 4.2 GHz on a Noctua NH-D15. That lasted all of a month before I lost the CPU and had to RMA it. I attempted two different motherboards too (some backstory) as it was very unstable otherwise. I dialed it back because I was more interested in stability and couldn't be without a work machine (a hard lesson with the previous CPU).

I keep putting it off every year saying "it'll be better next year".... I finally upgraded my old Maxwell Titans (used to have 3) with a 2080Ti....

Motherboard upgrades are far more complex though.... might simply wait until I can buy an entirely new system... the 2080Ti won't be obsolete for a few years though...

First world problems, eh?
I hear ya. My new build was an entirely new build - everything. I bought a RTX 2080 TI as well. What a difference. My old video card was a GTX 980 (which was top of the line when I build a brand new system back then). I usually wait 4-5 years between all new builds. This was the biggest jump in performance for me (also the biggest jump in price sadly).

My 5960 can OC fairly easily to 4.5ghz and that’s every core.... but I only bother when rendering... games almost never need it (GPU is the deciding factor 99% of the time...

I can still render a 2 hour 1080p movie fairly quickly.... but I’m thinking a 3900 would make life better...
I compared my old system in 3DS Max rendering a basic underwater scene (as it demonstrated all cores at sustained 100% load) from an old project I had. My 2950X could do the scene in just over 7 minutes per frame while my old system could do the same scene in over an hour per frame. lol Obviously, a lot more factors then just CPU but man, that's quite the improvement. lol

Back