Americans spend nearly an hour each day on their smartphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A recently published report from Experian Marketing Services found that on average, adults in America spend 58 minutes per day using their smartphone. Surprisingly enough, people still spend most of their time actually making phone calls as this activity accounted for 26 percent of the total time spent daily using a smartphone.

Texting came in at a close second, accounting for 20 percent of time spent. Social networking ate up 16 percent of smartphone time while surfing the web in general scooped up 14 percent. Only nine percent of time was devoted to the once-popular e-mail, gaming finished with eight percent while everything else accounted for nine percent.

americans smartphone

The debate about which operating system is more popular continues to rage on but the data shows something very interesting. iPhone users spend an hour and 15 minutes using their phones each day on average. That’s a full 26 minutes longer than the typical Android owner.

The differences don’t stop there, however, as Android owners spend more time talking and visiting websites while iPhone users clocked more time texting, sending e-mails and using the phone’s camera.

americans smartphone

I’m still surprised that only 58 minutes of each day are devoted to smartphone use, what with everyone seemingly glued to their phones in public, while driving, during dinner, etc. But it’s important to remember that the study only surveyed adult smartphone users. Usage from teens and children would have no doubt increased the daily averages and swayed smartphone activities.

Permalink to story.

You end up seeing all sorts of people glued to their phone. Be it adults or teens, but of course adults have less free time. Teens on the other hand have too much free time, in terms of just general phone use for anything. All the time you see someone either talking, or head down texting as they walk around.

Yeah the iPhone users have to spend more time on their phones just trying to get them to work. Once they've managed that they text their buddies advising them not to buy iPhone's.

I spend more than an hour on my Android smart phone. Quite a bit on reading news on IT related web sites. I also use it for catch up on BBC radio shows. The camera get used if I see something interesting. Occasionally I play games (normally if shopping with wife). Using it as a phone or texting only amounts to a small percentage of use. By the way I am not a youngster.

Yeah the iPhone users have to spend more time on their phones just trying to get them to work. Once they've managed that they text their buddies advising them not to buy iPhone's.

You really hate the iPhone don't you? xD

You really hate the iPhone don't you? xD
Not really. I just like niggling iPhone lovers.

Haha okay, not teenagers. I was going to say, it seems like the average teen would spend a lot more time on their phone in general and a lot more time texting than talking.

Back