An odd problem with power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have a somewhat odd problem.
First off, my computer wont turn on. So I think its the power supply(iits a 600w). I borrow one from a friend and hook it up and try again.(his is a 650w)
Nothing happens. (I do see the green MoBo light on though.
Everything is hooked up correctly that I know of.
The odd thing is, the main power cable from the power supply to the motherboard, when I push it in partly, the fans and mobo light comes on. The fans are not on full blast but they are spinning(on my video card, front, rear, proc, and psu fan). Then when I push the plug in all the way the fans turn off but the mobo light is still on. I goto push the power button and nothing happens.

I'm guessing there might be a problem with my power switch? If so, how do I fix such a thing? Or does anyone have any other idea's? I would be very thankful.

By the way, this computer has been running fine for 3 months before this.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Intel DP45SG

Case: Rosewill R230-P-BK

Power Supply:
COOLMAX CTI-600B 600W ATX12V

Proc:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Video:
XFX GeForce GTX 260 Core

Memory:
Patriot Viper DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive:
Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB

Incase any of this helps. Got all of it off newegg.

Thanks much

Based on the information you have given, I'm willing to bet that the port on the motherboard ( you plugged the power supply into) might have come loose when you unplugged your old one? :( But if you can check the switch with a continuity tester, and it ends up faulty, it's easily swapped.
Just out of curiosity why is there power to the power supply when you're doing all the connections anyway? You could be asking for a lot of trouble doing that.:suspiciou

Yeah I know.
Well, as I was hooking everything besides the main power connector, my psu wasnt plugged in.

Thanks for fast response.
You're saying what I plug the psu into, the connector on the motherboard could be faulty or the power switch? Where could I get another one that is not online? Or pretty much what is it called so I can go lookin for one =)

I don't really know the proper name for the plug but if you were to go to a local computer service center, and explain it to them, they should know. It does sound like the plug on the motherboard is faulty becxause it works when its plugged in partially. I don't know if it would be all that easy to change, there may be some soldering involved. If it works when it's plugged in part way, try running it like that and see if you can do any diagnostics. See how it reacts when applying slight pressure in various directions. Be very careful not ot exert too much force on the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back