Analysts: PS3 to win current-generation console war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Avid gamers are quick to defend their platform of choice, often exchanging heated words over features, exclusive titles, and even company policy. In the end, there isn't one platform that's "best" for everyone, but Strategy Analytics believes the PlayStation 3 will win the console war in terms of lifetime sales.

Despite Nintendo's current lead, the research firm expects Sony to ship 127 million PS3 consoles over the lifetime of the current console generation, compared to 103 million Wii systems. "Nintendo has done a great job with the Wii in bringing console games to new audiences," said analyst David Mercer, "but its sales are now falling, particularly in mature markets, and its install base will peak in 2011." In contrast, ownership of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 will reach their highest points between 2012 and 2014.

Mercer also noted that this year's global market for consoles is likely to fall again, after a 6% decline last year. Strategy Analytics predicts that 47.5 million consoles will ship worldwide in 2010, a 9% decline. The Wii will represent most of that drop, while sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 are expected to increase.

Permalink to story.

I disagree, while the Wii might be at its peak I do not see the PS3 overtaking it in the future. I think Nintendo will start to decline and the PS3/360 will close the gap but not make it before the next generation comes to play (unless they push it off even more).

Another point I'd like to make is that this generation of consoles (7th) will be known as the failure generation at least to me. We have the XBox 360 with its red ring of deaths and scratching of disks that took Microsoft a while to acknowledge but they finally owned up to it. The PS3 who started off at a ridiculous price that took years to lower and they are finally breaking even. And of course the Wii which has a complete lack of strong 3rd party game support. Then again that's always been Nintendo's Achilles' heel.

While many of these issues are fading away, as a gamer I hope the lessons learned from this generation will make the next one awesome gaming system for everyone! *crosses fingers*

Relic said:
While many of these issues are fading away, as a gamer I hope the lessons learned from this generation will make the next one awesome gaming system for everyone!

Absolutely!

lol @relic. Failed generation? Hardware issues aside, gaming has never been so good.

yeah this gen. of gaming sucked PSPGo, DSiXL -.- all the faulty issues with the 360 the PS3's price, but Natal is coming & Sony’s own motion controller and its plans to upgrade all PS3s to 3D capability around that time the 360 and the PS3 start growing now the thing is which is going to grow more?

While the hardware is important, it is the games that ultimately drive sales. A crappy game on a scorching system is still a crappy game. And to my mind Nintendo is still better positioned in that regard, with a catalog that appeals to a much larger audience.

I prefer the XBOX. There is just better titles and a more ergonomic controller. The PS3 controller just doesn't fit on my hands right. Maybe I have awkward hands?

I love when people tell me that the Xbox 360 is physically better than the PS3 which is just completely untrue. Also I have to say that PC gaming, though very fun, can get annoying with compatibility and system requirements. My machine is impressive and plays even the newest titles well, but why play games not to their full potential when I can pop a Blu-Ray disk in my ps3 and play the sickest HD games to date?

I love playing on my 360 and PC, but when it comes to the best, my loyalty is staying with Sony.

We got the lifetime sales estimates for the PS3 and the Wii. Where's the number for the Xbox 360?

This may be true, but it will primarily be the integrated Blu-ray player that enhances the longevity of the PS3. If the new motion controller system for the PS3 actually works well, that could also help to bolster sales, and bring some of the "fun factor" that has kept the Wii so popular for so long.

You can doubt the figures all you want, but just look at how long the PS2 has kept going. They still make and sell those consoles, after how many years on the market???

Sure Sony will win "this" generation, because they will still be selling the PS3 alongside the PS2 when MS is pumping out the Xbox 720 and Nintendo is selling the Super WiiCube 128.

InsaneVr6 said:
My machine is impressive and plays even the newest titles well, but why play games not to their full potential when I can pop a Blu-Ray disk in my ps3 and play the sickest HD games to date?

Uh not to nit pick, but playing any game on any current gen console is not playing them to their full potential. Games run at maybe 720p even lower with some games "cough Halo cough" (Thats going anger some people) there are the odd exception which actually run at 1080p but they are few and far between and chances are they're arcade games or gran turismo. Take the newly released Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on console your limited to 720p on my PC I run the game at 1080p on high settings with smooth game play (45 FPS avg) and if you want you can push it further. Now even more so with recently released mid range cards you can turn almost any computer into a decent game capable machine with a $150 video card. I own a PS3 and have not purchased a game for it since... Actually I forget, but its been a while. So if you think your playing games at their "full potential" on your PS3 your unfortunately incorrect, your getting a preconfigured optimal settings for your console and it comes no where near the games true potential.

PC Gamer since the day I was born and I have no intention on changing that any time soon.

I admit that the ps3 sales have skyrocket since the ps3 slim but how can they keep selling consoles if they are sold out everywhere? They need to keep the production lines going...

TomSEA said:
PC gaming rules them all. Everyone knows that. ;)

PC gaming is in a class of its own indeed :) .

Guest said:
lol @relic. Failed generation? Hardware issues aside, gaming has never been so good.

What else would you call it? 10+ years from now what will everyone remember this generation for? The Xbox 360's RRODs, PS3's high cost and fall from #1, and Nintendo's return by storm over casuals but lack of 3rd party games which of course could change.

Looking back at last generation what comes to mind? PS2 was the undisputed heavy weight king (which is still selling today), Microsoft with the new kid on the block that had potential in the Xbox, the death of Sega with the Dreamcast ='( and of course Nintendo with the GameCube which is its worst console.

InsaneVr6 said:
I love when people tell me that the Xbox 360 is physically better than the PS3 which is just completely untrue. Also I have to say that PC gaming, though very fun, can get annoying with compatibility and system requirements. My machine is impressive and plays even the newest titles well, but why play games not to their full potential when I can pop a Blu-Ray disk in my ps3 and play the sickest HD games to date?

I love playing on my 360 and PC, but when it comes to the best, my loyalty is staying with Sony.

You're coming off as a PS fanboy, subtle one but still. Gaming on the PC is superior as Adhmuz points out the flaws in your argument, and you can just as easily sit back on your couch and enjoy blue-ray movies and HD content. But I will say there are a lot of PS3 games not available on the PC which makes having both the best combo for maximum game potential imo.

I remember reading a article about ps3 vs xbox 360 a few years ago when media was totally thrashing the ps3, he said the ps3 would take the victory around 2012, looks like he predicted that quite well

PS3 is the hands down winner! They made it pretty future proof to me , blueray and now 3D with a firmware upgrade. Sounds like the best to me!

Well, Sony did say they expected the PS3 to last at least 10 years which is odd because if you think of a 10 year old PC...

With so much better hardware and now with games like Uncharted 2, God of War 3 or Final Fantasy 3, the PS3 is starting to make the Xbox look like a true microsoft product ^_^

I do not see the PS3 beating the Wii, but maybe the 360 in the long wrong. Fail generation? hardware wise. yes both 360 and Ps3 have Hardware Issues, The 360 being the worst, but both newer versions of the consoles seems to be fail less. The Wii has least faliure rate. I do not see the PS3 lasting any more than another 4-5 years. or the 360 leasting more than another 3 years. As for the Wii that coulod last forever!

sony PS3 is undoubtedly the best! with great graphics and the newly added motion sensors it has overtaken microsoft XBOX n Wii!
i think XBOX n Wii are also gud! but they dont have much games released for them as compared to PS! PS has a great no. of games!
so if MS or Wii have to recover their lost share - its simple launch more games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back