Android Performance Tips and Tweaks

Julio Franco

Staff member
Some people seem to think if they clear the apps from the app switching screen, which shows the apps you’ve been recently using, that this will free up system resources like RAM. However it’s no longer 2008: Android has been managing RAM usage and system resources extremely well for years now.

I've always thought that removing apps from memory is to to make sure none of them try to do anything in the background, consuming the CPU and the Internet bandwidth. And yes, this is not 2008, nobody cares about the memory anymore.

Some people seem to think if they clear the apps from the app switching screen, which shows the apps you’ve been recently using, that this will free up system resources like RAM. However it’s no longer 2008: Android has been managing RAM usage and system resources extremely well for years now.

I've always thought that removing apps from memory is to to make sure none of them try to do anything in the background, consuming the CPU and the Internet bandwidth. And yes, this is not 2008, nobody cares about the memory anymore.
yea same; unless someone actually knows for a fact that android completely removes the app from CPU queueing and all ill continue to do it because I cant find a definitive answer to this anywhere apart from "trust me". Alot of apps are lazily made and I cant imagine would stop using the CPU or data if the OS didnt force them to.

yea same; unless someone actually knows for a fact that android completely removes the app from CPU queueing and all ill continue to do it because I cant find a definitive answer to this anywhere apart from "trust me". Alot of apps are lazily made and I cant imagine would stop using the CPU or data if the OS didnt force them to.
I like to use battery info to catch real heavy users. I recently uninstalled retailmenot even though I used it occasionally because it was using up my battery running in the background. I don't think it even showed up in the app switcher because I hadn't been using it.

Root Essentials lets you uninstall even system apps like S Health for instance, Samsung. S Health is useless to me, so I had to go.

My Samsung Galaxy S6 (3GB, 128 GB RAM) has been running 375 Playstore applications since new. a few years ago. The only "slow-down" happened last week, when I allowed it to auto-install the latest kernel, version 7.01. It would not restart properluy again.

Cure: cold-boot into recovery-mode (HOME, VOL-UP & START buttons, simultaneously. Then (1) "Wipe data/factory reset", & (2): "Wipe cache partition". Reboot.

Samsung will then re-install the latest operating system very quickly. Connect the wifi link to Google's PlayStore, and all 375 applications will install again, in the next few hours. All settings will be re-created as in the last saved setup, on the Samsung web-site. Since all the 375 apps are in 19 category-folders of my choice. Then I painfully stored these into the folders. Yes - backup desktop & folder settings is ok, for rooted operating systems. But this is the first time that I have had to re-install the operating system. Samsung does not like rooting.

On faster operations: I just use "All-in-one Toolbox". It allows the stop any autostarts that I choose, whether operating system, ISP or other applications. Just $3.99 USD for the registered version.

Similarly, I do the same as the above on my standby smartphone - "HOMTOM HT16 Pro ". It costs less than a tenth of my old Samsung, with only 2GB & 16 GB of memory, only Android 6.0, slower CPU & slow memory, poor camera, & the version of NFC, but has a m-SD card, FM radio, dual SIM & removable battery. So I only have 246 applications, of those on my bigger phone. Easily rooted, it auto-installs all the 246 applications after any cold-boot into recovery-mode, shown above. Since my setting are with Google, these are also re-installed. Same with my wife's Sony Xperia X Compact, with many fewer applications.

Back