Another BSOD (driver_irql_not_less_or_equal) ntoskrnl.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there :)

About 2 days ago, my PC had a few warning messages pop up about Access Violations (I cant remember specifics :( But as I recall, memory related). And the yesterday, I started BSODing.

After googling excessively I came across a few "fixes".
1) Renew page file by disabling, restarting and enabling. Done
2) Manually increase page file size. Done
3) Update windows, and drivers. Done
4) Reseat RAM, swap RAM sticks, run MemTest98+ and Win Memory test. Done
5) Scan for malware and virusses. Done (Avira AntiVir, Spybot AND Nod32) All came up clean.

None of the above worked, I think it is a driver problem, probably related to the internet, since I can use all of my programs normally and play quite intensive games just fine. Mostly when I BSOD, I was browsing the internet while having a few programs running, but this could just be a coincidence.

I collected a few memory minidumps. From what I could see from WhoCrashed, its related to ntoskrnl.exe, but it's not the root cause.

I really hope someone can help me : /

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    197.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice, solid diagnostic work on your part.

All errors are the same being 0xD1 which are usually caused by faulty drivers.

All cited the same driver as the cause for your crashes which is epfwndis.sys and this belongs to your Eset Smart Security suit. From other research it specifically belongs to the firewall aspect of the suit.

Eset makes a great product. I use their antivirus and love it but there have been issues with their security suit from time to time. You could...

1. Update the suit and see if that brings stability or...

2. Go to Eset's official forums that are very active at www.wilderssecurity.com and post your issue. Let them know that six of your minidump files were read, the error code, and the same driver cited in every dump as the cause of your crashes. You should get a quick response.

* Question: Do you have another firewall or other security running besides ESET in real time protection?

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

The suite is fully updated. It's a pity, I really like ESET. I have nothing else running besides ESET. I'll have to switch back to Spybot S&D if I can't find a solution.

Thank you for your time. I'll post back if it throws another bsod at me :)

One last question, and I apologize if it is silly, but would a virus or some type of malware (I am not very familiar with 'em) be able to corrupt ESET's driver or maby alter something the driver depends on?

Possibly but I would say don't give up on ESET just yet. Join the forum and ask away. Spybot S&D can't compete with ESET in terms of full security.

You could try running the free Malwarebites offering. It is very good.

OK, I reinstalled Win7. First and only thing I installed was ESET and sure enough; BSOD. I'm joining the forum as we speak. Thank you so much for your trouble :)

Attach that minidump file; would love to read it. Please let us know what ESET says especially in light of what you just gave us.

Ok :) here's the dump.

Oh, I forgot to ask, what do you use to read the minidumps?

Attachments

• 060310-30685-01.zip
    28.5 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back