Another video card problem

System model: Dell, Inspiration 530
1 TB on Hardrive
Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80 Ghz (2 CPUs)
4096Mb Ram
DirectX 11
G33/31 express chipset

Im having a problem switching to a graphics card I been holding onto, the graphics card is a BFG6600 GeForce GTOCX w/o a installer disk. all I wanted to do was play some games I could'nt download with the chipset, and I wanted to know if I can install this on my computer. im not certain if im doing something wrong but I first go to my device manger and uninstall the chipset drivers in the display adapters then my screen goes black.. and each time I install the graphics card in the PCI slot it goes all these werid colors.. if someone could have the patience to help me on this I'd be most grateful. Thanks for helping - James

Hi, You will need to set your pc to automatically switch back to the integrated video chip when you take the PCI-E card out, so you can see what you're doing, to get the new drivers from Nvidia.
You need to get into the BIOS and change the setting. I have a Dell Dimension 5150, so will use what I do here.
Boot pc, press F2 when you see it on screen. 'Press F2 for setup'.
In the BIOS, cursor keys only, scroll down to video, press enter.
Scroll down to Primary video press enter.
Change the setting from Auto to onboard PEG
Press F11 to save settings and exit.
Now your pc will use the integrated graphics chip when you don't have a Graphic card in the PCI-E slot.
If you have been using a DVI (white plug) monitor lead, then you will need to change over to a VGA (blue) lead plugged into the blue motherboard VGA socket, while you make these adjustments.
Then you will need to go to Nvidia site and download the correct drivers for your new card.
Or you can try to use the auto-detect system on their site.
Windows 7 will try to install a temporary driver from its store, but it's not as good as the correct version,
it lets you make adjustments, but you won't get the high screen resolutions.

Back